SIRS Compass

Txbyker

I need to replace my compass.  I am thinking of going with SIRS.  Does anyone have any pireps on SIRS?
Russ
SIRS Compass.jpg

I replaced my compass with one of these. I love it! Even in turbulence, I can still read it just fine and the backlight is excellent.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I much prefer the vertical card compass. Is much easier to align the DG, and doing my instrument turns, is a lot better.

It is also rock stable in turbulence and you can tell which way to turn for any heading beyond 90 deg.

I mentioned that I was interested in a vertical card to my avionics guy and he talked me out of it. He said they don't last long, something like a couple years and you would be fixing or replacing it. Are the verticals pretty reliable in comparison to the whiskeys?

3 hours ago, INA201 said:

I mentioned that I was interested in a vertical card to my avionics guy and he talked me out of it. He said they don't last long, something like a couple years and you would be fixing or replacing it. Are the verticals pretty reliable in comparison to the whiskeys?

Vertical Card Compass are standard equipment on Robinson helicopters. Many have no DG but the VC compass. Due to the constant vibration VC are the only ones that work reliably.

José

14 hours ago, INA201 said:

The vertical card compass is more reliable, can't leak, but is more complicated to install and calibrate ("swing").  I'm thinking that your Avionics guy is more comfortable installing an old-style compass.  To his credit, he probably doesn't want to screw you out of a lot of hours of his labor for his learning on your installation.

I'd talk to a different shop.  You could tell your guy that you plan to do that, he will probably be grateful that he won't have to install it.  Most mechanics are busy enough they don't really have to do the jobs they don't want or aren't comfortable with.

It doesn't take an Avionics shop to install the compass.  You should probably ask your regular mechanic first.  He may want the job.

• Like 1

I had a VC compass installed a few months ago. I like it as it is similar to the DG for partial panel instrument flying, but it is out of calibration. I  believe I am going to need the compensation balls to get it right.