Drain Test

ArtVandelay

The largest coming out of the cowling is the oil breather, the other two are battery tray vent and fuel vent from fuel servo, the one in the back is the fuel selector drain. I think..

Edit- I see that you have a J which means that isn't a battery vent. never mind

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I have small amount fuel drip out if the rear blue painted collator,selector drain, is this normal?

A seal in your boost pump has failed.  The purpose of that drain is to provide an outlet for the leak as well as a visible symptom of the problem.  If it's a Dukes pump, prepare to be annoyed.  Just a few years ago they could be sent off and IRAN's for a few $100. Now OH is the only option, so figure on $1000 min.

If it's a Weldon pump call Russell Romey at D&G Supply.

• Like 1

A seal in your boost pump has failed.  The purpose of that drain is to provide a outlet for the leak as well as a visible symptom of the problem.  If it's a Dukes pump, prepare to be annoyed.  Just a few years ago they could be sent off and IRAN's for a few $100. Now OH is the only option, so figure on $1000 min.
If it's a Weldon pump call Russell Romey at D&G Supply.

Ok, I'm annoyed because my logs indicate it's a duke, last overhaul was in 94. AS has the new Weldon for $1185. Is the Weldon a simple replacement? Might be time to do a swap.

Just now, teejayevans said:

Ok, I'm annoyed because my logs indicate it's a duke, last overhaul was in 94. AS has the new Weldon for $1185. Is the Weldon a simple replacement? Might be time to do a swap.

At 23yrs, you've done better than most of us. I also have the Dukes which I have had both Overhauled and IRAN'd at different times.  I only use my boost pump on start up because I find them to be fragile.  I don't know that the Weldon is a superior pump, but I do believe that it is serviceable where as I think Dukes now only offers OH exchange.  This is a recent development that has further soured my on the Dukes pump.  However, if I'm honest, I was not a huge fan before.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

Ok, so past thread on fuel pump for F which is similar to early Js, it's not a simple replacement and the kit required is more than 2 AMUs.
Looks like Aeromotors can o/h for $400, I will discuss with AP tomorrow, thanks

Penn Yann is fixing my fuel pump for a leak right now.   Mine is from an Acclaim, but you may want to give them a call and see what they can do.

Brad

Ok, so past thread on fuel pump for F which is similar to early Js, it's not a simple replacement and the kit required is more than 2 AMUs.
Looks like Aeromotors can o/h for $400, I will discuss with AP tomorrow, thanks

It is worthwhile doing the Weldon upgrade. The Weldon pump is a constant duty pump, the Dukes is not. I switched mine over to the Weldon back in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marauder said:

It is worthwhile doing the Weldon upgrade. The Weldon pump is a constant duty pump, the Dukes is not. I switched mine over to the Weldon back in the 90s.

I would be surprised if my dukes has done more than 25hrs of actual run time between services.

• Like 1

The O's electric fuel pump needed to get new seals for it's 20th birthday.  It would pour fuel on the ground while using it.

You need somebody walking by at the right moment to see it happen....

a single drip may catch you eye during pre flight.   The drains that have a bunch of blue goo forming on them are a subtle hint.

Each pump gets a drain, and the gascolater is in the same general area and looks similar enough. The fuel divider drain with the sniffle valve is completely different.  But while learning all the drains, that's a good one to know...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Looks like I have the same problem on my '75F. Fuel is dripping from pump fitting to make about a 3 foot puddle! Turned the gascolator to off and drip stopped. I'll take the pump out in the morning. Does anyone know if this is a Dukes or Weldon? Can't see the data on the plate.

IMG_4274[1].JPG

IMG_4275[1].JPG

But the kit to switch to the Weldon (from Mooney) is $2300, plus the pump (based on a previous thread), that's a lot for so little gain.

Looks like I have the same problem on my '75F. Fuel is dripping from pump fitting to make about a 3 foot puddle! Turned the gascolator to off and drip stopped. I'll take the pump out in the morning. Does anyone know if this is a Dukes or Weldon? Can't see the data on the plate.

Since it clearly states it's for intermittent use only, it has to be a Duke, Weldon as mentioned is continuous duty.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Since it clearly states it's for intermittent use only, it has to be a Duke, Weldon as mentioned is continuous duty.

Looks like I'll be gettIng an overhaul on my Duke fuel pump then!

Weldon has a PMA replacement now that doesn't require the kit from mooney. Unfortunately they increased the price of it last year by 150%. 

The place up in Michigan that rebuilds dukes  advertises them as a constant duty pump after overhaul. Not sure what they beef up to make that claim. 

Does anyone know if this is a Dukes or Weldon?
That's a Dukes, but there's good news.

But the kit to switch to the Weldon (from Mooney) is $2300, plus the pump (based on a previous thread), that's a lot for so little gain.
You may not need the "kit". Weldon now makes a pump that is a direct replacement for the Dukes. This info came directly from Weldon just 2 weeks ago:   "The 18020-A is a drop-in replacement for the Dukes 1499-00-19A.  Weldon can also claim installation eligibility for the 18020-A on the M20-J airframe.  The serial number you reference 24-XXXX is within the range listed on FAA website (Mooney Airplane Company (M20J S/N thru 24-2999)." John DeMatteis, Weldon Pump, 440-232-2282 ext. 118   If you're trying to install a Weldon A8163-B then you might need the expensive conversion kit. 

Weldon has a PMA replacement now that doesn't require the kit from mooney. Unfortunately they increased the price of it last year by 150%.  The place up in Michigan that rebuilds dukes  advertises them as a constant duty pump after overhaul. Not sure what they beef up to make that claim.         

This is exactly the information I've received (in 2017) as well. In fact I contacted Aeromotors and had a long conversation with a technician there who told me (in condensed form):

1. Original Dukes pumps contained fragile impellers.

2. Dukes later switched to a different material that would pick up foreign material and embed it in the impeller causing it to become inherently abrasive.

3. Previous overhauls required installation of Dukes manufactured replacement parts (which were supplied in kit form) that while not "fragile" were still problematic (see #2 above).

4. Aeromotors sought and received approval to manufacture parts for these pumps from proprietary materials.

5. Since switching to their own replacement parts Aeromotors has seen greatly enhanced durability from these pumps. Only Aeromotors uses these parts.

6. They tested the newly rebuilt pumps for continuous duty for a few hundred hours, even running them dry with no problems (but I still believe they don't advertise them as continuous duty).

7. The current rebuild price is $400 and typically also includes a new armature in the older pumps.

After the horror stories I've been told about the rebuilt Dukes I was absolutely switching to a Weldon when that time came but at $1,236 (AS current price) I believe I'll give Aeromotors a shot instead. They COULD be lying out their arse about all of this but I believe the gentleman I spoke with was being truthful with me as he spoke at length and in great detail about the entire issue.

• Like 2