Landing Data: Stats from CloudAhoy

Jeff_S

For those of you who haven't tried it yet, I would encourage you to check out the CloudAhoy app and log some flights with it. It can give you valuable data about each flight such as speed and altitude profiles, ground tracks, distance flown, etc. Tonight I analyzed my last 10 landing sequences and the data was enlightening.

First, my height AGL over the numbers was ALWAYS in the 20-30' range. This included fields with and without any VGSI. Not surprising, given that my brain has figured out what the appropriate approach path should look like so muscle memory just works me into that position. I'm sure you all do the same, but the consistency was still cool.

Even more illuminating was the correlation between speed over the numbers and touchdown distance. If over the numbers at 65 knots, I touched down almost exactly at the 1000' mark, right on the IFR markings. Less than 60 knots had me touching down somewhat sooner of course. But the telling thing was that over the numbers at 75 knots gave me an extra thousand feet before touchdown. The extra float length isn't surprising, of course, but the consistency of it was. While I've long known the theory of it, it was neat to see the data born out in practice.

What isn't in the data is wind factor for any individual flight, but averaged across all flights that gets evened out. Anyway, if you like to gather data from your flights and use it to help your understanding and your plane's tendencies, CloudAhoy is worth the $49/year in my book.

Cheers!

• Like 2

That's great data, Jeff! Even Bob Kromer says that every knot too fast over the numbers is an extra 100' of float, you've now proven it. May have to look into getting this, especially important at my new 3200' home field. Wish it was around when I was dropping into a 2000' grass strip . . . But it's a long ways there from here . . .

I found the T/O distance was pretty good at telling me that my engine and plane were working at book numbers.

Loading the plane and or having a warm day? you can compare again to the book numbers.

deciding on a 310hp upgrade?  Collect data in your friens's screamin' Eagle before committing to the big expense.

Trying to knock the rust off from not flying? Collect data during You flight maneuvers.  Your 360° turns actually get graded.

Can't remember the whole flight as your CFI has put you through the wringer, the wash cycle, and everything else?  Your entire flight can be removed step by step.

You'll probably be impressed with how well you flew.

in order to get the best data I used a WAAS source supplied by a portable SkyRadar wifi attached to my iPad....

Having actual cloudAhoy T/O distance data would have help educate Patrick how long the T/O run was going to be later in the day. Can't get a better education than collecting actual data about your actual plane under actual conditions.

+1 CloudAhoy, especially if you are going to fly a long body into a <2,000' runway.

Best regards,

-a-