GTX345 G-1000

Txbyker

A couple of us on Mooneyspace, Buddy and I, have completed the G-1000 WAAS STEC upgrade and the GTX345 to get ADSB IN/OUT capability.  David is also investigating some of the issues we are finding as we discover the new technology.  I thought I would post a couple of pictures and some findings.

-GTX345R is placed in the tail where the 33 went.  All of the wiring is done in the tail except one pair that has to be run through the cabin to the audio panel.  If it were not for the cabin work the hours could be much less.  Expect ~6-7K all in, hardware and labor.

-The G-1000 MFD and software 14.02 will not display precip FIS-B weather however you get data such as TAF on the MFD

-Traffic displays without issue on the MFD as well as the PFD with synthetic vision

-Bluetooth on your portable device is available with the GTX345 eliminating the need for a receiver such as a Status and will display ADSB Traffic and all FIS-B weather

I am interested if anyone else has installed the GTX345 with a G-1000 and if so if you can share some of your experiences.

Russ

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

• Like 1

I'm looking to do the WAAS upgrade first, probably in January. I'd heard about the display issues with ADS-B weather so thought I'd wait until that gets resolved before I add that, although I intend to keep XM anyway.

Russ, can you give us a more detailed PIREP on how the WAAS functionality is doing, and any differences in the G1000 features in the latest software?

10 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

I'm looking to do the WAAS upgrade first, probably in January. I'd heard about the display issues with ADS-B weather so thought I'd wait until that gets resolved before I add that, although I intend to keep XM anyway.

Russ, can you give us a more detailed PIREP on how the WAAS functionality is doing, and any differences in the G1000 features in the latest software?

Jeff, I haven't been able to cross country yet but In regards to Mooney's software it seems to be fine.  I stay in touch with JD at Southwest Texas Aviation and he and McKee Avionics has done 3 already, me, Buddy on this board and Jeff K out of Minnesota. We all three have issues but for various differences.  

Russ - STEC runaway trim on RNAV couple, with gtx345. 

Buddy - no Bluetooth in cockpit from gtx345

Jeff - porpoise 1000 fpm on couple, no gtx345

G-1000 features - one SD card updates that replicate to PFD, engine data logging are probably two of the major differences other the getting WAAS vertical guidance.  Apparently the FIS-B weather display issue with gtx is with just about all G-1000 oem's.

If you do it I would recommend having your STEC CPU sent to Genisys.  Mine was and got updated to version 7 although I don't understand why or the differences.  At boot can you look at the version number on the STEC on the right side of the LCD?  I bet you are 6.  Mooney asked McKee to send the CPU to check gains and it came back upgraded.  I don't know if the other two were.

Russ

1 hour ago, Txbyker said:

G-1000 features - one SD card updates that replicate to PFD, engine data logging are probably two of the major differences other the getting WAAS vertical guidance.  Apparently the FIS-B weather display issue with gtx is with just about all G-1000 oem's.

You should also get georeferenced approach plates on your MFD with the G1000 software upgrade.  I have talked to the guys at McKee about doing the g1000 upgrade alone just for this feature.  Have you tried that yet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggiepilot04 said:

You should also get georeferenced approach plates on your MFD with the G1000 software upgrade.  I have talked to the guys at McKee about doing the g1000 upgrade alone just for this feature.  Have you tried that yet?

I will try it and get back to you

I just had the waas upgrade with JD and McKee. I am having issues with the stec coupling to the glide slope. The autopilot porpoises 1000 FPM+.  This happens on both waas and ILS now which was not the case prior to the upgrade. The upgrade does give you georeferenced approach plates on the MFD. Brian at McKee is trying to figure out why the AP is porpoising, but said he believes it may be receiving the wrong inputs/outputs from the GIA63w's. 

The S55X is only connected to GIA63W #2.    Swapping units #1 and #2 would show if the issue was in the GIA63W hardware. 

The official wiring diagram for that is 950296 (which I have not seen a copy of). 

But all G1000-S55x installs are the same.. so we can look at the G900 manual page F-10

http://www.sebcomm.com/G900X Installation Manual, Rev D.pdf

It would be hard to think of a reason outside of a HW failure in the GIA or wiring for why the upgrade would cause the AP problem.   The connections are traditional analog GS signals and didn't change between the 63 and 63W.   The tech could also go over the back shell connector and make sure that one of those 2 pins didn't get damaged.  

So, swap #1 and #2.. and if the problem goes away, it is a bad GIA

if it doesn't go away, suspect bad connector, or wire..   I don't see a ground test procedure for the AP in approach mode.  an avionics tech should be able to simulate the LOC/GS and see how the AP responds. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Mooney back yesterday with the latest -34 software update as well as the Garmin GTX 345R without gps,  I would like to report that everything is working fine. The enhancements are all working seamlessly with the G1000 as well as Bluetooth connectivity with my ForeFlight.  

Blaine Hoffman

Ovation3 with GFC700

Received my Mooney back yesterday with the latest -34 software update as well as the Garmin GTX 345R without gps,  I would like to report that everything is working fine. The enhancements are all working seamlessly with the G1000 as well as Bluetooth connectivity with my ForeFlight.  

Blaine Hoffman

Ovation3 with GFC700

You don't need the WAAS upgrade to use georeferenced approach plates. You can get Jeppsen approach plates with a fee to unlock the capability. Your Garmin dealer can set you up.

In all likelihood, the reported Bluetooth glitch on the GRX-345 was merely the IOS 10 glitch that plagued us all for awhile. But Garmin released updates for this and I can't recall if they did one for the 345 too. But it's been resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The avionics shop is located at Spruce Creek Flyin community 7FL6, Avionics Installations ph. 386-492-7760, the owner is Pahan Ranasingha, his shop is booked to May for installations. As an aside,  i've talked to a multitude of people, and everyone seems to be waiting for prices to drop. Pahan seems to think that prices are pretty much where they will be, but installations will become more difficult as shops get busy.