Overhaul shop favorite?

Amelia

Does anyone have any experience with overhaulbids.com? I have read about them in several of the aviation mags, but have never spoken with anyone who used them. I like the concept and as I close in on a rebuild/overhaul I would like to see what anyone knows about them.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

There were some really good things said about Jewell Aviation, just a few weeks ago. And their prices look really good.

http://www.jewellaviation.com/pdf/Price Sheet 2015 Engines.pdf

I have heard good things as well about them, although I cannot comprehend how they can do it so cheap! I overhauled my engine (O-360-A1D) last summer and had just shy of 17 AMUs in it, no labor! Of course I elected to replace almost everything instead of overhaul (Crankcase and crankshaft were overhauled) But that is still about $6k shy of my number.

Although the "favorite" shops on BT will rework brand new factory TCM cylinders to make sure the valves are correctly installed.

You might check out Charles Melot at Zephyr Hills FL. Powermasters in Tulsa gets very high marks too. I used Barrett in Tulsa for some of my own overhaul work and am very happy with them too.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, N6758N said:

I have heard good things as well about them, although I cannot comprehend how they can do it so cheap! I overhauled my engine (O-360-A1D) last summer and had just shy of 17 AMUs in it, no labor! Of course I elected to replace almost everything instead of overhaul (Crankcase and crankshaft were overhauled) But that is still about $6k shy of my number.

That old saying "if it sounds to good to be true, it likely is" comes to mind.

Clarence

4 hours ago, Amelia said:

Now looking to see about overhauling the TSIO 360 LB1.

who's good, cheap, and fast? (I know, pick two.)

Mimi, If you haven't done so already, be sure to ask DMax. I suppose he has as large a data base as anyone. 

AGL, our MSC shop here, uses Triad Aviation, a good sized shop in Burlington NC. Triad does both Lycoming and Continental. Othman Rashed, "President & Engine Consultant", is very conscientious and has a great deal of experience. I am very happy with their work after 150 hours on a IRAN that involved a new case, new cam & lifters and dressing cylinders. The engine is running strong with all cylinders checking @ 78/80 compression last week. And they met their turn around time allowing us to fly to Summit 2 years ago.

They also have a prop shop under the same roof. 

http://www.hhtriad.com/engine/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

Curious if any recent experience with Signature at KLUK (Cincinnati). Had good experience with them for TDI some years ago and have always assumed they would be my goto for OH.

My engine was done at .signature by the previous owner, c. 2003. Still running strong, all compressions >75. Nit bad for running 50° ROP the last 600+ hours.

11 hours ago, N6758N said:

When property, plant and equipment are sunk costs and the business is located in a low cost area of  the country, costs go down. A modern motorcycle engine is more complicated to rebuild than any HO lycoming, yet they don't cost $25k to rebuild. These guys are willing to take a lower margin and they don't have as many hands reaching into their pockets. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Pick any one.  From Beechtalk it seems the factory is the best value for continental engines 

Agree 100%.  Am on my third and couldn't be happier.

Amelia - if you decide to go through CMI, let me know, and I can give you a steer in the right direction with technical and sales contacts.

Regards, Steve

10 hours ago, Shadrach said:

http://www.crankcaseservices.com

Not a very fancy website, but they did solid work. I think the case overhaul was $900 (2010) wich included repair of the case. No case leaks  ever since OH. My engine builder recommended them.

I used them as well to repair my case after I found it cracked. Took 13 weeks to get it back from them but the price was right and they did a great job!

• Like 1

Aero Engines of Winchester did my OH when we found a case crack.  They were fast (2 weeks), drove to Beaufort to pick up and deliver the engine, gave a much more reasonable price than an NC shop used by my mechanic, helped and advised my mechanic on fine tuning the engine and 5 years later no leaks and runs great.

• Like 1

I think best depends on the condition of your existing engine and your expectations of the new engine.

Factory reman is great if you don't have a ton of confidence in your existing engine or are overhauling due to crankcase cracks. They guarantee that every part will meet new specs including replacement of any components that have since been redesigned. They claim greater than 80% new parts content and they have a "no surprises" pricing policy. We went this route this summer and can confirm about the only parts that were reman (instead of new) were the mags, fuel pump, and fuel injection. The crankshaft, crankcase, etc were all factory brand new castings. Aircraft resale tends to favor Factory remans too. (Right or wrong). Turn around time is typically pretty quick compared to an overhaul since you're only down while the engine is getting swapped assuming your existing engine is still airworthy, even then it's still likely faster. They also bench test the engine for 2.5 hours so when you takeoff it's not the first time the engines been run up to takeoff power.

We also spoke to Zypher and decided against them simply because they would have our existing crankcase shipped out for repair and pricing couldn't be 100% firm. We would still have the older design that is prone to cracking on Cirrus and if it couldn't be repaired the cost would easily exceed that of the factory. We bought direct from the factory and customer service was nothing short of amazing. Every single promise they gave us was met or exceeded. The engine even shipped with Tempest fine wire plugs which was a nice surprise and not advertised at all. We have about 100 hours on it now and haven't had even the slightest hiccup or concern with it.

The popular shops for Continental's seem to be Zypher and Powermasters. There are certainly others like Poplar Grove, but both of those get high marks. The big benefit to using them is that you aren't stuck using factory parts (some hate continental cylinders) as well as you can have some customization during the engine build. Also if your old engine was a great machine, they just rebuild it so you know you're getting an engine with a known history. With factory you're getting and engine that is built from new and used parts with an unknown history - though they MUST meet factory new specs so I don't see this a a huge concern, but obviously it is for some.

Personally I'd avoid the budget shops. If you research some of them simply can't be doing a legal overhaul since the price of the required parts sometimes exceeds that of what they are charging. Additionally in the resale market many people don't want an engine from "Joe's House of Budget Aircraft Engines" and will avoid it. In my mind the major shops or factory are both excellent options and best is simply what's best for you based on your situation.

These guys are reported as very good in our area. They will probably do mine when the time comes.

http://www.johnjewellaircraft.com/services/engine/index.html

not to be confused with the other Jewell mentioned above in Kennett, MO. 

The one in Kennett is Sam Jewell, very good and pricing is good.

John Jewell is usually the "go to" guy when local A/Ps can't figure things out.

Both are very good.

-Tom

On December 23, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Brian_tii said:

I think best depends on the condition of your existing engine and your expectations of the new engine.

Factory reman is great if you don't have a ton of confidence in your existing engine or are overhauling due to crankcase cracks. They guarantee that every part will meet new specs including replacement of any components that have since been redesigned. They claim greater than 80% new parts content and they have a "no surprises" pricing policy. We went this route this summer and can confirm about the only parts that were reman (instead of new) were the mags, fuel pump, and fuel injection. The crankshaft, crankcase, etc were all factory brand new castings. Aircraft resale tends to favor Factory remans too. (Right or wrong). Turn around time is typically pretty quick compared to an overhaul since you're only down while the engine is getting swapped assuming your existing engine is still airworthy, even then it's still likely faster. They also bench test the engine for 2.5 hours so when you takeoff it's not the first time the engines been run up to takeoff power.

We also spoke to Zypher and decided against them simply because they would have our existing crankcase shipped out for repair and pricing couldn't be 100% firm. We would still have the older design that is prone to cracking on Cirrus and if it couldn't be repaired the cost would easily exceed that of the factory. We bought direct from the factory and customer service was nothing short of amazing. Every single promise they gave us was met or exceeded. The engine even shipped with Tempest fine wire plugs which was a nice surprise and not advertised at all. We have about 100 hours on it now and haven't had even the slightest hiccup or concern with it.

The popular shops for Continental's seem to be Zypher and Powermasters. There are certainly others like Poplar Grove, but both of those get high marks. The big benefit to using them is that you aren't stuck using factory parts (some hate continental cylinders) as well as you can have some customization during the engine build. Also if your old engine was a great machine, they just rebuild it so you know you're getting an engine with a known history. With factory you're getting and engine that is built from new and used parts with an unknown history - though they MUST meet factory new specs so I don't see this a a huge concern, but obviously it is for some.

Personally I'd avoid the budget shops. If you research some of them simply can't be doing a legal overhaul since the price of the required parts sometimes exceeds that of what they are charging. Additionally in the resale market many people don't want an engine from "Joe's House of Budget Aircraft Engines" and will avoid it. In my mind the major shops or factory are both excellent options and best is simply what's best for you based on your situation.

A "legal" overhaul does not set a very high bar. Inspecting all required components and documenting as within service limits meets the "legal" definition of overhaul.  Do expound on your experience with overhauls. Mine is that folks have great experiences and folks have problems regardless of who does it and how much is spent. Where an overhauler shows their true value is how they respond to a problem.

Incedently, I would never get a factory overhaul unless I was guaranteed that my engine would be built with my original crank and cam (I would consider a roller cam if my cam were to fail (highly unlikely at this point).

• Like 2