Average useful load of a Mooney

201er

M20 Useful load  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What is your M20 Useful Load?

• 600 or less
    • 1200 or more

1984 M20J, 914 lbs, 64 gals, so I have 529lbs available with full fuel... According to my POH numbers, best range at 45% power is 1010nm @ 7.91 endurance hours. Best range at 75% power is 810nm @ 4.9 endurance hours. My last long flight was 411nm from KSAC to KSEE... My J did it in in 2.5 hours with favoring winds and needed 33 gallons to top off the tanks, so the POH numbers are spot on...

1 hour ago, highlowfastslow said:

Makes it nearly impossible to put anyone of size in the back, including me

I have the opposite problem in the missile: my CG is so far forward due to the engine, that I need to carry pretty much everything as far aft as I can get it.  Even then, I still need almost full nose up trim on landings...

my previous J wasn't like that at all- so long as you weren't over weight, it would fit in the CG envelope.  The J model really is an engineering marvel... the perfect balance across the board.  Each other mooney (mine included) has its pluses and minuses... but the J (stock, not the missile) is "just right" in pretty much every area.  A true "best fit" given the airframe and dollar cost... is the ideal mooney- the perfect balance between power, useful load, flight characteristics, space, speed and economy.  No other airframe touches it.  I love my missile... but late at night... I *miss* my J.

Edited by M016576
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, M016576 said:

I have the opposite problem in the missile: my CG is so far forward due to the engine, that I need to carry pretty much everything as far aft as I can get it.  Even then, I still need almost full nose up trim on landings...

my previous J wasn't like that at all- so long as you weren't over weight, it would fit in the CG envelope.  The J model really is an engineering marvel... the perfect balance across the board.  Each other mooney (mine included) has its pluses and minuses... but the J (stock, not the missile) is "just right" in pretty much every area.  A true "best fit" given the airframe and dollar cost... is the ideal mooney- the perfect balance between power, useful load, flight characteristics, space, speed and economy.  No other airframe touches it.  I love my missile... but late at night... I *miss* my J.

I know it's been said before, but it's really too bad Mooney stopped building them.  Imagine a nice 2 door J model.

Clarence

When I was in the process of researching to acquire my 201 I was chatting with the late Bill Wheat and we got into talking about the J and how Mooney should've never stopped building them. One of his comments was "...you're preaching to the choir..."

He loved the M20J. 

It makes no sense. They perfect the M20 through the years to the M20J and then drop it!

I wonder in retrospect if it was a good decision.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTK said:

When I was in the process of researching to acquire my 201 I was chatting with the late Bill Wheat and we got into talking about the J and how Mooney should've never stopped building them. One of his comments was "...you're preaching to the choir..."

He loved the M20J. 

It makes no sense. They perfect the M20 through the years to the M20J and then drop it!

I wonder in retrospect if it was a good decision.

If you've watched "Boots on the Ground" you've noticed that Jolie has a funny bit going. At various times Bill calls several models his favorite or the best. Confronted he grins sheepishly.

• Like 1

I know it's been said before, but it's really too bad Mooney stopped building them.  Imagine a nice 2 door J model.
Clarence

I agree with what Mo said in the previous post; I'm extremely pleased with my J.

Regarding the door, I don't miss it much as I spent considerable time gaining experience in PA28s. Outside of an off-field landing I see little need for it at all. The solid side simplifies routing of wiring/tubing and adds strength to the airframe. It eliminates drafts and leaky seals while smoothing airflow over the exterior.

One week a year, when heading west, I long for a turbo but I've had my J to 17,900 msl so even the Rockies are passable with proper planning.

All in all they're a great compromise IMO.

P.S. My empty CG is at 45.52.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

That seems really low. Most F/Js seem to be around 1000# useful load. 

-Robert 

It does to me, too. She was the BF Goodrich Avionics aka L-3 plane for several years and had about every piece of avionics gear they made put into her.  I think that may have added a few extra pounds, but somewhere in the next couple of years, there is a tank sealing and new paint job scheduled. We'll see if she has trimmed some of that weight after those. Until then, I look at the 2900 GTOW Js with envy....

Edited by Oldguy

1 minute ago, cnoe said:

I bet posting that felt great!emoji846.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep!

But my CFI is out of town the end of this week for Christmas so no flying this weekend. I'm going to take the 30th off and we're going to see if we can get the rest of my dual done the 30th-31st.

• Like 1