I need help / advise with two M20C's

Hi guys,

I have not just one, but TWO different M20C models. Both have pretty much all the 201 speed kits: 1-peice winshields, flap gap fairings, one peice belly pan.  One has an aftermarket ray-jay turbo charger and built in oxygen, the other has the STC to install a 201 engine. The one with the turbo has an engine ready to be overhauled to hopefully "zero time engine" if I understand the term correctly. The non-turbo has no usable engine due to a gear up landing and wear, but does have good cylinders and probably most of the accessories.  The one with a turbo has been in a hangar for a while and is in pretty fair shape. The other has been on the ramp several years and probably will need a fair bit of love. Neither have any particularly special avionics. The non-turbo has basic king radios which work ok. The turbo has digital king radios in good working order I believe.  

They are actually my father's, but he is starting to get too old to deal with the situation and the time has come to address his positions. I can no longer leave either aircraft where they are. 

My qustions are, in the opinion of the guys here who know Mooney's, are either or both Mooneys viable to restore. If so, what would either one be worth. If not how should I go about getting rid of one or both of them? I realize I probably haven't given quite enough information but ask specificsand I will try to find the answers. 

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I have not just one, but TWO different M20C models. Both have pretty much all the 201 speed kits: 1-peice winshields, flap gap fairings, one peice belly pan.  One has an aftermarket ray-jay turbo charger and built in oxygen, the other has the STC to install a 201 engine. The one with the turbo has an engine ready to be overhauled to hopefully "zero time engine" if I understand the term correctly. The non-turbo has no usable engine due to a gear up landing and wear, but does have good cylinders and probably most of the accessories.  The one with a turbo has been in a hangar for a while and is in pretty fair shape. The other has been on the ramp several years and probably will need a fair bit of love. Neither have any particularly special avionics. The non-turbo has basic king radios which work ok. The turbo has digital king radios in good working order I believe.  

They are actually my father's, but he is starting to get too old to deal with the situation and the time has come to address his positions. I can no longer leave either aircraft where they are. 

My qustions are, in the opinion of the guys here who know Mooney's, are either or both Mooneys viable to restore. If so, what would either one be worth. If not how should I go about getting rid of one or both of them? I realize I probably haven't given quite enough information but ask specificsand I will try to find the answers. 

Thanks!

I would put together a spec sheet on both of them. Look for any of the ones posted for sale here and duplicate the information for these planes. Also, before you let someone chop them up (aka Alan Fox on this site), get people to look at them for restoration. Most of us hate to see a plane go to the Boogie Man, especially a couple of planes that have been modified.

As for worth, there are VRef sites that will allow you to enter the details of the plane and give you a ballpark for worth. I will see if I can find one of those links for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi guys,
Thanks!

If they were mine, I'd take detailed pictures of the paint, interior and avionics, gather all of the important data (TTAF, SMOH, when was the last annual, what were the cyl. pressures, etc), and then get in touch with All American Aviation in San Antonio, or some other dealer that sees a lot of Mooneys. Even if you pay them for some of their time, they will know the condition, cost to refurb, and potential market values. I have a 1966 "C" and would be interested in the turbo engine if you're decide to sell it apart from the aircraft. Austin

Restoring an airplane takes much more time and money than restoring a car. But it can be done . . . Very few of us have the time and certification to do it ourselves. It is possible to help out and trade your time and effort for some cost, if you are mechanically inclined,have tools and the restorer is willing to showny what to do and check on you throughout the tasks.

Best of luck! These two sound like good planes, and it would be a shame to see either of them parted out.

What you have sounds like an extensive collection of good parts. 

As Hank suggested, if you have the skills, a thousand (or more) hours of your time and perhaps $40K to spend on your project you should be able to create one very good C model Mooney.  And you will have a hangar full of spares to keep or sell.  

I don't think Vref or other valuation sites will give you useful information as they are designed to evaluate airworthy planes. 

Your first problem may be moving these two --  if you have to get them off the airport you're going to need to remove the wings to trailer them.  Two guys can pull the wing in a day if they have done it before.  

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Before you let the Boogeymen convince you to scrap them, there are people who look for project planes. I would see what they are worth and decide to go from there.

I sent the "KvogDEN" a PM asking for the location of the planes. My mechanic is interested in a project - he'd like a personal Mooney. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

Never used the NAAA version before. The Mooney evaluator says my F is worth $93k and the NAAA $100k. Sad emoji24.png

The worksheet in Mooney Flyers is from Jimmy Garrison. One of these days I think I'll ask him to look at what it values my E. ($115,000+) He values a GTN 750 and a GDL 88 combo @ $19,000.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for some input guys. Its difficult finding time to get a project going let alone accomplishing it. I think I need to find someone who has the time. I will try to get some better pictures and equipment list and see if anyone here is interested. I know a few of you expressed interest and it seems like we misconnected. If anyone is interested try calling Brian Vogel at 303-432-8246

Thanks guys. 

Edited by KvogDEN
Typo