Our ATP opinion on other planes go-arounds

Danb

I just departed Mccarren airport delayed for other traffic aborting there landings

The winds at KLAS around noon today was about 200@20g35+ we were departing on 25R, they do have runways 19R and L, the landing airplane also used runway 25 instead on 19.

After sitting number one in line for about 25 minutes the pilot came on and said a couple more minutes the winds are pretty high and there were already three go rounds, after they land were to be next?

What is the protocol for American Airlines or other airlines for that matter when there is an A321 in the pattern and aborted the landing, is the departing airplane held up by ATC and/or company rules, sounds like a dumb question coming from a non commercial pilot of 30+ years. The plane eventually did land and off we went, this scenario seemed strange to me.

A comment from our professional pilots would be greatly appreciated.

That is a really complicated question!

Landing traffic is always in peril of running low on fuel if landings are delayed.  Aircraft on the ground always have the options of returning to the gate for fuel if they use up all their taxi fuel.  Given this reality, you can see "some priority" is given to landing aircraft..

However, there are lots of variables.  In some cases, departures must be launched to make room for arrivals lest grid-lock occur.

Lots of variables..... 

Typically, if an airliner goes around, they are vectored back out into the arrival flow.  You won't see them back at the airport for about 10 minutes or longer.  Airliners do not practice 'closed' patterns.  They also usually carry extra fuel depending on weather and historical traffic delays.  That usually amounts to something between 20 minutes to an hour of extra fuel, but I've seen more.  However, if they are short on fuel, they will do what it takes to get safely on the ground.

I suspect the delay was just due to heavy traffic.  If an airplane goes around and has to be fit back into the arrival, it just fills up one of the 'holes' that approach had built for a departure.

• Like 1

Daver thanx for the explanation from a professional pilot, I found it helpful in how it's technically done. I'm sure what the pilot told us was for the nonpilots ears. It sounded suspect to me which was why I posed the question your explanation makes sense. My flight was out of mccarren around 11:00 A.M. local time. The ride to about 12000 feet was nasty I liked it but many passengers looked green.

• Like 1

I was on a commercial flight to KABQ once about 20 years ago. I was chatting about aviation with the guy sitting next to me. I don't think he believed half of what I was saying. On final I looked over at him and said "He isn't going to make it" My seat mate responded incredulously "What the hell do you mean he isn't going to make it?" I said the plane is going too fast to land. He said "you are crazy" at which point the power came up and we went around. "See I told you he was too fast". We maneuvered for another approach and I said we were too fast again and I hope we have plenty of fuel. The power came up again and around we went. The third landing was without incident. All I can figure is there was a new guy in the right seat.

• Like 2

Since I'm based in San Diego I'm used the slam dunk approaches if your coming from the east. In actual IMC it's worse because the volume of planes the controlllers are handling.  I'm always concerned for pilots new to the area coming in and always recommend to them to put their gear out as soon as the the descent are given by the controllers. You have to do at least 1000 fpm descents and you will be join the localizer 500 feet high on the glide slope over the faf for KMYF.  It's going to be rapid and nonstandard and it's got me in trouble a few times. Thursday I had the gear down and the speed brakes out in IMC being bouncing around in 43kts winds aloft. Thankfully it got smooth just before I broke out and it was a steady smooth crosswind. I wish for us non pro pilots there was a resource for what to expect into a new airport in actuall IMC conditions from the controllers. The only one I have found is forum searches and YouTube videos, both which have been helpful.

• Like 2

On December 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM, daver328 said:

So ... taking off into windshear is a "win" for passengers? 

I'm confused too but I don't think it was meant that way :huh:

Where are you based in Georgia ? I'm hoping next year we can have several lunch gatherings and maybe hit a few of the breakfast fly-ins as a group.