Turbo Charger Cool Down

carqwik

Context alert...

Engineering detail.  Oil pressure that operates the valve in the oilflow to the turbo's bearings is around 15 psi. (According to APS, delivered at BT).

Using the ship's OilP gauge may not tell much about the oil pressure delivered in the turbo's bearing.

in line with that, when your ship's gauge is in the green, your turbo's normal operations should be in their green range as well.

when oil is being lost overboard, a few quarts will remain in the engine after the turbo has run out.

How is that for drift...

I am ready to discuss 15 points of turbo failure that come up in those discussions...  Shut-down by procedure updated by APS is pretty solid.  Running out of oil is going to be bad.  90% or so of the turbo cooling comes from the high flow of oil inside of it.  If it relied on air cooling, there would be nice fins on it similar to the cylinders...

I'm not going turbo yet.  The TCs and  TNs are well designed and easy to operate.  It's the acquisition cost and the use of cylinders gets too expensive for me...

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, peevee said:

bringing the airplane home this month we ran in econ cruise. At 8000 feet we ran 165kts TAS per the aspen at 14.5-15GPH. That's essentially the same as our 231 would do.

I get 160 KTAS on 9.0 GPH all day long in my 231. My Bravo wouldn't run LOP,  my 231 runs LOP wonderfully. The only Mooney that beats the 231 is the 252 for efficiency and I chose to not pay the purchase price premium, increase in insurance premium due to higher hull value, etc. to get a 252.

The Bravo is faster than the 231 or the 252, no argument. But it does so at a great fuel penalty that's simply not worth it to me. It is worth it to some and that's great. The Bravo simply cannot be run at 231 speeds on 231 fuel flows. The Bravo has more drag, more weight and the engine very rarely can be run LOP at any reasonable power setting.

19 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

The Bravo has more drag, more weight and the engine very rarely can be run LOP at any reasonable power setting.

rocket isn't a bravo, and ours runs beautifully LOP.

I'm still not buying your fuel flow and speed at that altitude. Our 231 will not run LOP nor would I want to with that intake.

Edited by peevee

34 minutes ago, peevee said:

rocket isn't a bravo, and ours runs beautifully LOP. I'm still not buying your fuel flow and speed at that altitude.

A Rocket isn't a Bravo. I've considered a Rocket on two different occasions and chose to not buy one both times. It is the right airplane for some people but not for me. I'm glad you're happy with yours.

Here's a flight I did last weekend. It was from Tucson to the Baja of Mexico and back on a Flying Samaritans trip. I departed Marana (KAVQ) and cleared customs in San Felipe, Mexico (MMSF). That leg was flown at 6,500 ft with about a 10 kt headwind. From MMSF I flew to to a private airstrip on the west coast of the Baja, Robertson's Ranch for anyone that might know it (MR30A), that was a climb from sea level to 7,500 ft and back to sea level. Then from MR30A I flew to Tucson, Arizona (KTUS) to clear customs. That was done at 11,500 ft with about a 10 kt tailwind. Then from KTUS back to KAVQ.

That's 561.4 NM so with pattern entries and a bit of vectoring into and out of KTUS, call it 570 NM flown. I had four people in the airplane and I took off initially within a few pounds of gross. I burned a total of 47.1 gallons of fuel for the entire trip. It was 3.8 hours for an average speed of 150 knots across the ground but that was with four takeoffs and climbs to altitude and four landings too.

I climb at 2700 RPM, 37"MP and 25 GPH at 120 KIAS for 800 FPM. In cruise, I fly 2500 RPM, 30"MP and 9.0 GPH.

Believe me or don't on my fuel flow and speeds, doesn't matter to me either way.

IMG_0023.PNG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, peevee said:

rocket isn't a bravo, and ours runs beautifully LOP.

I'm still not buying your fuel flow and speed at that altitude. Our 231 will not run LOP nor would I want to with that intake.

You're not making a very good pitch for that 231 you're trying to sell :huh:

• Like 1

Hector, Your C has a similar challenge...   

with oil cooling of the hot exhaust valves... 

They get unbelievably hot running in the climb.

Don't let them get too hot, and don't let the oil get coked up around them.

didn't think about it that way, huh?  :)

Oil is both a lubricant and a heat exchange medium.  We use the oil cooler to help with temperature controls in many different places.  If more heat needs to be removed, more oil is allowed into the area by design...

still just PP thoughts, not a turbo PP or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-