Cold weather flying

amillet

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Wow?!!  Really? It was like $150 last week rt for my wife from last Wed return this Wed.

Yeah - for sure I would use the Mooney if I am also going.

Liz said there were a lot of Canadians on the flight.

I guess they figured lots of folks would like to go down around this time of the year...

• Like 1

Well the Insight G1 sums it up good. Note the carb temp. Not too much temp difference between the oil and cylinder heads. The little 250 watt Honeywell Heat-Bud has the interior holding at 62F.

2b4d9b98c0f1a40e88620d628204684c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carb temp is interesting, as it is close to the oil that is being heated by the block heaters.  The average temp inside the cowl will tell a lot about the coldest part of the engine. The blanket wrapped all the way around with no wind blowing through...

Minus (-) 100°F temp is a nice way to slow the oxidation process, but may get in the way of ever re-starting the engine before spring. :)

PCV valve is at the top of a car's engine and vents the block back to the intake along with the EGR (exhaust gas recycle) valve.  The Mooney block has a hose plumbed directly overboard.  The intake on the back of the Chevy 350 engine's butterfly valve is black and sooty from all the crap entering from the EGR and PCV... vote no on EGR and CVs for aviation use...

inevitable follow-up thought...

the cylinders and the rest of the engine are evenly warmed up and moisture is vented. Is there a particular chemistry that can be added to the oil to keep the cam's sensitive surfaces nicely wetted?  For those using camgard already, this question is for you...  warmer temperatures have a tendency to help the oil to run off all of the inner surfaces and drain back towards the sump.

how is that?

Again, this is ordinary PP kinda stuff, not from a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-