O2 on/off cable broke

peevee

I assume you are talking about the cable going to a built in O2 tank.

Push - Pull. Inc. in California has what you need. If I were you, I would measure the diameter of the cable (wire), and go up one size, as the original is too small, and will probably give you trouble; as in bending before it operates the regulator lever.

Call Push-Pull and tell them what you need. You will almost certainly get one with a knob on it, which you will cut off and scrap. Changing the cable requires removing the interior panels in the cabin. But, if you have a way to cut the cable (in place in the plane), you might be able to measure/estimate the length and buy one longer than you need.Then figure out how to disconnect the old one at both ends. Then get super strong tape and tape the ends of the new one and old one together and carefully snake the new one into place. If my memory is correct, mine was not clamped behind the panels. Then cut the outer cable and the inner wire to length and re-attach the ends. Adjust and confirm proper operation. Removing the panels is more trouble than replacing the cable. Or so my hangar elf reports.

Mine broke about six years ago. At the suggestion of my IA at the time, we replaced it with stainless steel piano wire. I *think* we used 0.060" wire, which is a slightly larger diameter than the existing wire. Obviously, any piano repair shop can sell you some. It takes about 10'.

Save yourself some time doing the replacement--DO NOT remove or disassemble ANYTHING, aside from what's needed to access the knob in the cockpit, It's possible to simply push the wire through the existing casing, with the casing still in place. When we replaced mine, we spent (wasted) a bunch of time doing a lot of interior disassembly to straighten the casing to make it easier to push the new wire through. It turned out, the wire can be pushed through the casing without moving the casing at all from its installed routing.

--Paul Keller

'89K @ RLD

I ordered wire from McMaster Carr. I got three sizes planning on using the largest that would fit in the housing. My temp fix (used the extra on the other end and got one loop at the pilots handle) is still working so I haven't done anything. It should just push thru with no issues. Measure the diameter of yours and order appropriately. If you need samples of each size to see what fits best I will cut you samples of each and mail. Very cheap. Part number  9495k92 is what I ordered. I got .055, .059 and .063 You might need to type that part number in the search box to find it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3820/=15i9puw

Hey Tony my cable will not stay attached on the fitting behind the on off knob, is that where yours was messed up. How did you ultimately fix it. The MSC recommends to make up a fitting behind the knob to keep the cable secure to the on off fitting. I've lost oxygen twice from It hopping off and the oxygen bottle not being turned off. I'm all for them fixing it but don't want a hit and miss trial. Now I'm definitely getting a backup portable system.

• Like 1

On December 17, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Danb said:

Hey Tony my cable will not stay attached on the fitting behind the on off knob, is that where yours was messed up. How did you ultimately fix it. The MSC recommends to make up a fitting behind the knob to keep the cable secure to the on off fitting. I've lost oxygen twice from It hopping off and the oxygen bottle not being turned off. I'm all for them fixing it but don't want a hit and miss trial. Now I'm definitely getting a backup portable system.

Yes, mine broke there. I was able to loosen at the bottle and use that slack to make one loop around the dowel. I think factory had two loops/wraps. I may have some pics on my phone to refresh my memory but with your issue I picture using a retaining washer. Mine hasn't had a coming off issue but I remember thinking it could with nothing holding it on. On the portible stuff.....for the short period mine was broken OR I didn't have confidence it would work, I just pulled the side panel before departing and manually turned the bottle on (or off after) ...moved the lever/valve.

Just an example of a washer. I don't know the exact size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200953151464?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmtid%3D1588%26kwid%3D1%26crlp%3D53601919689_324272%26itemid%3D200953151464%26targetid%3D186358903209%26rpc%3D0.06%26rpc_upld_id%3D96677%26device%3Dt%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252Flike%252F200953151464%253Flpid%253D82%2526chn%253Dps%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9011112%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D239125209%26adgroupid%3D14978428809%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-186358903209%26gclid%3DCM_4h8KPgtECFYs6gQodmtgDow%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1142416834125&ul_noapp=true

On December 17, 2016 at 1:41 PM, peevee said:

the mechanic told me it was broken and said he couldn't find a spare, by the time I got back to him he had all the panels removed. Oh well.

He must not have worked on lawn mowers before. Any mechanic or DIY guy should know pushing new wire thru the housing would be the way to go. On a good note if your panels are like mine it would be a great time paint them ;)

12 hours ago, Tony Armour said:

He must not have worked on lawn mowers before. Any mechanic or DIY guy should know pushing new wire thru the housing would be the way to go. On a good note if your panels are like mine it would be a great time paint them ;)

I never said he was a good mechanic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2016 at 6:11 AM, Tony Armour said:

I ordered wire from McMaster Carr. I got three sizes planning on using the largest that would fit in the housing. My temp fix (used the extra on the other end and got one loop at the pilots handle) is still working so I haven't done anything. It should just push thru with no issues. Measure the diameter of yours and order appropriately. If you need samples of each size to see what fits best I will cut you samples of each and mail. Very cheap. Part number  9495k92 is what I ordered. I got .055, .059 and .063 You might need to type that part number in the search box to find it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3820/=15i9puw

for future searchers our new plane had cable issues too. .063 wire fit great in ours. We just removed the side panel, clipped the wire off, pulled it through to the baggage compartment and fed new wire through from the front seat. Taping the wires together made them too hard to pass. I did round off the tip of the wire to reduce the chances of a snag. Once all the parts were moved out of the way it took about 5 minutes to feed the wire through.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
18 minutes ago, larryb said:

Has anybody come up with a better way to connect the cable to the knob? Mine fractured at the knob connector, similar to a number of other reports here. 

I'd still like to fit an electric valve, I think you could make one of mountain high's valve work but they're $1600 so it's a bit much to just buy to experiment with, but it'd solve the issue once and for all.

Great timing on the revival of this thread :)

3 days ago I twisted the valve open, and perhaps past the stop. Now it is permanently open. Still have tension on it and can move it but it snaps back to open when I release the knob.

Anyone know how much work (money) to remove the panel and work on that assembly ?

Since it is switch is open but O2 doesn't flow without the Scott fitting with Oxygen cannula attached it doesn't seem to leak oxygen (pressure doesn't change) so I'm not interrupting this trip to troubleshoot it.

Any tips welcome, I'm afraid that I'm not the most mechanically inclined or knowledgeable Mooney driver out there :)

Robert

Not sure about the Ovation, but on my K, open the panel on the left side of the plane and see what the valve on the regulator is doing when you open/close the O2 lever. It should be apparent what is happening.

Even with no Scott fitting inserted, with the valve open it will probably leak down over time.

Depends where the cable came unattached, mine came off at the back of the on off knob, drilled a small hole through the cable and secured it to the knob attachment , no the lowly accountant could not figure it out. But it worked. 

Just now, Danb said:

Depends where the cable came unattached, mine came off at the back of the on off knob, drilled a small hole through the cable and secured it to the knob attachment , no the lowly accountant could not figure it out. But it worked. 

I almost had a heart attack when I saw "drilling a hole in cable", until I realized you must be talking about the outer housing. When the OP posted, I thought the wire broke where it is pinched.