1977 MOONEY M20J (SN: 24-0077) for sale

GeorgePerry

This plane was just donated to the AOPA foundation.  Before its advertised nationally we wanted to give the folks on MooneySpace first dibs.  

We are waiting on the full spec sheet but understand the engine has 1500 hours TTSMO.  Plane has been hangered in NV (nice dry climate) for many years.  Its airworthy and in annual.  

Should have additional pics and scanned copies of the logbooks soon.  

Asking price $59K which is about 10K under Vref.  Questions contact Jeremy DeLaTorre at:  

Jeremy.DeLaTorre@aopa.org

201TS.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

yep, checked ntsb and faa, didn't see anything noted there.  saw the lack of recent flights but I'll let you know what I find out from Jeremy.  it's been 48 seconds already and he hasn't responded, sheesh!

If it only been flown VFR, how would you know? And Nevada has lots of VFR weather.

1 minute ago, eman1200 said:

I'm vfr only and the flights that I get FF on show up in FA.  I know that doesn't mean this plane hasn't flown at all, maybe it has.  I hope to find out soon.

None of my flights on flight following show up on flightaware since early 2016...don't know why...

1 minute ago, jrwilson said:

None of my flights on flight following show up on flightaware since early 2016...don't know why...

did you try the fix/workaround?  I posted this in PoA and I think someone snagged it and posted it here.  if this doesn't work for you, I'm out of ideas:

We have recently released a feature to allow you to view position-only flights (flights without a flight plan) such as a VFR flight with flight following or ADS-B positions; follow these steps:

(You will need to be on the web version of FlightAware. These instructions will not work on the app or mobile site)

1. Ensure you are either logged into your account or join FlightAware at the following link (http://flightaware.com/account/join/). You will need to activate your account via email after joining.
  2. Go to your account at the following link (http://flightaware.com/account/manage) or click on your name or username in the top left hand corner of the site.
  3. Look for a section titled "Position-Only Flights" and click the button for "show position-only flights"
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save"
  5. It could take up to 15 minutes for your account to be updated after you save; After this time, simply search for a tail number or flight from the search bar located at the top-center of the page.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

If it only been flown VFR, how would you know? And Nevada has lots of VFR weather.

I log every flight I make in my logbook so down the road I can show a potential buyer my airplane is flown regularly. It would be nice to talk with the donor about it. At $59K it's an opportunity for someone who was initially looking at a short body to get into a J for a similar price. Worth investigating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eman1200 said:

did you try the fix/workaround?  I posted this in PoA and I think someone snagged it and posted it here.  if this doesn't work for you, I'm out of ideas:

We have recently released a feature to allow you to view position-only flights (flights without a flight plan) such as a VFR flight with flight following or ADS-B positions; follow these steps:

(You will need to be on the web version of FlightAware. These instructions will not work on the app or mobile site)

1. Ensure you are either logged into your account or join FlightAware at the following link (http://flightaware.com/account/join/). You will need to activate your account via email after joining.
  2. Go to your account at the following link (http://flightaware.com/account/manage) or click on your name or username in the top left hand corner of the site.
  3. Look for a section titled "Position-Only Flights" and click the button for "show position-only flights"
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save"
  5. It could take up to 15 minutes for your account to be updated after you save; After this time, simply search for a tail number or flight from the search bar located at the top-center of the page.

Yep, that worked, thanks for the tip.

I'd be careful buying into the low end of the range. It rarely if ever, is a good buy in the end. This might be different as it's a donation situation. But buyer beware. As a rule, I'd much rather spend $59K on a really nice E than a below average J.

While this is true in many cases, keep in mind that the ceiling of the J will be much higher so if you plan on updates and such to "make it yours" you stand a greater chance of recovering some of that expense with a J versus a pre-J when it comes time to sell.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'd be careful buying into the low end of the range. It rarely if ever, is a good buy in the end. This might be different as it's a donation situation. But buyer beware. As a rule, I'd much rather spend $59K on a really nice E than a below average J.

I did, but the plane had a high time engine and old avionics with broken display segments, etc and had a few squawks, it didn't show well. I went against the advice of buy the plane already upgraded to what you want. In retrospect I got what I wanted and didn't pay any more then what I would have paid for an upgraded plane. Obviously the plane has to be in decent shape, airworthy, no corrosion, etc, else all bets are off.

Since you are upgrading your plane and IIRC going to need to O/H your engine, sounds like you did the same?

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Good advice, IF you can find a really nice "E".  These planes are getting pretty old and finding a nice one is almost as hard as finding "Big Foot" in East Texas!  Been there done that!

Sometimes you take what you can find.

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Since you are upgrading your plane and IIRC going to need to O/H your engine, sounds like you did the same?

I'm upgrading some of my avionics just because I've been able to trade in the stuff I'm replacing and get some great deals. I actually bought the 252 with the best panel I could find. That's making it cheaper to upgrade. I'm doing about 40 AMU of upgrading for less than 20 AMU.  I bought the engine at 1000 SMOH, have already done another 100 hrs and expect 300/yr. So another couple of years and I'll be in the range of at least thinking about it.

I passed on several cheaper 252's and still believe its paying off.

• Like 1

yep, checked ntsb and faa, didn't see anything noted there.  saw the lack of recent flights but I'll let you know what I find out from Jeremy.  it's been 48 seconds already and he hasn't responded, sheesh!

None of my 100 hours this year show up on flightaware... just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/14/2016 at 6:59 PM, glafaille said:

Good advice, IF you can find a really nice "E".  These planes are getting pretty old and finding a nice one is almost as hard as finding "Big Foot" in East Texas!  Been there done that!

Sometimes you take what you can find.

You found big foot?!  Awesome!  Pictures or it didn't happen! :)