Richard's 1965 M20D/C

Santa came early this year!!

Closed on it Friday and the previous owner flew it out here to me in CA today. Some of you probably recognize it from a for sale thread here on MS. They are finishing up clearing out the hangar and then will be putting a fresh coat of epoxy on the floor. Hope to have her moved into her new home by Tue-Wed. It was a fun adventure searching for a plane and the whole process of purchasing this plane was a pleasure. The seller is a fantastic guy.

I'll get a fun write up of the whole journey on my blog later this week but I had to come here and share the good news. Oh, any of you out at KAJO (I saw a few others on the ramp) I'd love to say hi and meet sometime.

20161211_135823.jpgIMG_6932.JPGIMG_6936.JPGIMG_6949.JPGIMG_6952.JPGIMG_6970.JPG

Edited by Skates97
  • Like 17

I did shoulder belts and a G1 (w/carb temp) when I bought mine a few months ago. I emailed Insight and they quote me $1684 to upgrade a G1 to a G2. I would get the G2 if I did this all over again (only approx $900 more) as it has logging capabilities in addition to many other standard features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Just get an Insight G2. It comes with FF and Carb temp at no extra cost. And is arguably a better monitor than either the low cost offering from EI or JPI.

Nice looking bird.

Looking at a C myself without an engine monitor. Is there a huge price difference between the G2 and the higher end JPI? It was the first thing I was going to upgrade  and was about to post for advice ( the one I'm looking at already has shoulder harness).

Lawrence

Looking at a C myself without an engine monitor. Is there a huge price difference between the G2 and the higher end JPI? It was the first thing I was going to upgrade  and was about to post for advice ( the one I'm looking at already has shoulder harness).
Lawrence

Personally, I would put in an engine monitor that can replace your primary factory instruments. No need to remove them, but if they fail you still have a legal primary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're willing to spend upwards of $5K, I'd certainly get an engine monitor that can replace primary instruments. But often times that's more than a new C owner wants to spend. All the manufacturers offer a low end, basic, but very functional monitor. JPI EDM-700, EI UBG-16, and IA G1 or G2. They are all about the same price, but the G2 is much more sophisticated and full featured than the other entry level models. Compare the three and you'll see what I mean. I had the G2 in my C. The install was quick and easy and ran flawlessly for the 400 hours I flew the plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Glad to see another D owner out there!

1st!   congrats Skates,,,   beautiful!!  with a 201 windshield and a cowl mod,,  she will be fast, and efficient!! I am happy for you...

anticipating reading all about this in your blog,,  make sure you use your good typewriter... 

Next I wish ALL would stop talking about D's...

Of all the D's the factory ever started to build, nearly all were finished as C's,,  Very few were ever Really D's..

Their are only 3 real D's on the registry now...

My advice is to talk about your plane as a "D/C",,,  never as just a D, unless the gear is down and welded!

Edited by mpg
  • Like 1

You do not need to spend 5k for a nice digital engine monitor with FF. My EDM-830 was $2600 installed by my mechanic and it has been worth every penny in terms of safety gained and engine health. PM me if you would like the details on my purchase (bought it from a MS member who is in the business of selling these items). You can't go wrong with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mpg said:

1st!   congrats Skates,,,   beautiful!!  with a 201 windshield and a cowl mod,,  she will be fast, and efficient!! I am happy for you...

anticipating reading all about this in your blog,,  make sure you use your good typewriter... 

Next I wish ALL would stop talking about D's...

Of all the D's the factory ever started to build, nearly all were finished as C's,,  Very few were ever Really D's..

Their are only 3 real D's on the registry now...

My advice is to talk about your plane as a "D/C",,,  never as just a D, unless the gear is down and welded!

Say what you want, mine says "Master" on the side, not "Ranger"

• Like 2

As MPG points out only 3 unconverted D's flying but the paper and data plate still calls the converted ones D's same as if you upgraded an F with a Lopresti cowl windshield etc it's still an F. Skates I'm sure there is lots of details on your blog so could you provide a link cause I wouldn't even know how to find a blog.

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Let the spending begin.... :)

1) Shoulder belts.

2) Engine monitor.

3) Add FF and Carb temp to that engine monitor.

4) a cover if you are outside, or for when you are outside...

How needy is or isn't the panel?

what's next?

Best regards,

-a-

Panel Photo-1.jpg

"Needy" is a relative term. It does have a basic engine monitor that shows CHT/EGT but for only one cylinder. The ADF would work but the antenna was removed some time ago. I could reinstall the antenna (it came with the plane) but there really isn't a point so the ADF will come out at a future date. The Apollo II Morrow will be coming out as well. The radios are dated but they work well so I will continue to use them until they decide they don't want to work anymore.

I would like to replace the current engine monitor with one that has FF and all cylinders somewhere here in the near future. She'll be inside a hangar by midweek but I would like to get a cover for travelling, recommendations?

2 hours ago, bonal said:

As MPG points out only 3 unconverted D's flying but the paper and data plate still calls the converted ones D's same as if you upgraded an F with a Lopresti cowl windshield etc it's still an F. Skates I'm sure there is lots of details on your blog so could you provide a link cause I wouldn't even know how to find a blog.

I initially didn't consider it because it was a D until I read that most were converted. I'll get a post written up on it tonight or tomorrow and post a link to it here.

Thanks everyone for all the congratulations and letting me hang around your forums until I was "officially" here :), now I just need to get out and learn how to fly her!

• Like 1

Richard,  I hope you enjoy the plane as much as we all did for all these years.  I attached a picture I just found from when my brother in law first got it......before he was even my brother in law.  Note the date.  (I'm also NOT the sharply dressed guy in the Christmas sweatpants!!)  Last thing I forget to mention.  I always liked the unique N number but there are very few controllers anywhere who get it right.  Put a pause in there, Mooney 788...78, and they always get it.  Happy Flying!!20161212_101952.jpg

• Like 6