Cheaper generator for electric preheater? $158 from Home Depot; will this work?

I just noticed via Slickdeals.net that Home Depot has a Chinese "digital inverter" generator that puts out 800 watts continuously (1000 surge) for $158. It weights 19lbs.  Reiff draws 200 for the pan plus 50 or 100 per cylinder. Throw in the  25w oil cooler heater and its below the 800 watt threshold. Does anyone here carry one of these around with them? I would only use this when I'm away from home.

I wonder if I'm better off buying a 100' Flexilla brand extension cord for almost the same price.

I just pulled the trigger on it but mainly for the purpose of charging deep cycle batteries for the fishing boat. $167 shipped with tax. You can save another $5 if you submit to HD's text-message list. I need to get a set of cowl plugs, tailcone and pitot covers too. The airport I will frequent on trips away has critters that begin to build nests almost before you even shut the engine down.

2 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

I just pulled the trigger on it but mainly for the purpose of charging deep cycle batteries for the fishing boat. $167 shipped with tax. You can save another $5 if you submit to HD's text-message list. I need to get a set of cowl plugs, tailcone and pitot covers too. The airport I will frequent on trips away has critters that begin to build nests almost before you even shut the engine down.

Buy a plastic owl, boats use the to keep away birds, other birds and rodents will keep their distance....or house train a real one.:)

1 minute ago, teejayevans said:

Buy a plastic owl, boats use the to keep away birds, other birds and rodents will keep their distance....or house train a real one.:)

A couple years ago I had a black bear come up to one in my yard and had a mexican standoff with it for a few minutes until he bumped it with his nose.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Jim Cancil will make you custom cowl plugs, probably tail cone as well. Great vendor to and supporter of Mooney owners.  

cover.jpg

• Like 3

I just noticed via Slickdeals.net that Home Depot has a Chinese "digital inverter" generator that puts out 800 watts continuously (1000 surge) for $158. It weights 19lbs.  Reiff draws 200 for the pan plus 50 or 100 per cylinder. Throw in the  25w oil cooler heater and its below the 800 watt threshold. Does anyone here carry one of these around with them? I would only use this when I'm away from home.
I wonder if I'm better off buying a 100' Flexilla brand extension cord for almost the same price.

Let us know how this works out. I carry a Yahama for pre-heating when traveling in the winter. Looks like a cheap alternative and one I would not feel too bad if it was stolen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Is "Big Sponge" a user on here? Or where could a find a sponge so huge that it covers the gigantic guppy mouth for only $5?

I use foam rubber from an old cushion, no flag but if if my preflight is that bad I deserve to have to turn around and land because of a overheated engine.

24 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Is "Big Sponge" a user on here? Or where could a find a sponge so huge that it covers the gigantic guppy mouth for only $5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may ask Maurader for one of the sponges his ladies use for bathing, it should do the job.

Clarence

Get some foam pipe insulation from your aviation aisle at HD and duct tape the $hit out of it into a cowl plug shape. The closed cell foam doesn't retain water. I had a set that lasted 5 years for about 5 bucks until I lost one. They were so durable I build a pitot cover, tail plugs, and flap plugs out of the same stuff when the bird lived outdoors.

I used that fancy neon green duct tape so it would be more visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peevee said:

I have to admit I like the flags that remind me if I forget to remove the plug. 

When the big sponge goes flying past the windshield you will know you forgot to remove it, carry spares.  

• Like 2