Cheaper generator for electric preheater? $158 from Home Depot; will this work?

I dumped out the SAE 30 I originally put in it after I realized that I'm only using this in the winter. I ran it for one hour at home then replaced it with Mobil 1 5W-30. Here is a video I made today. It runs just fine when plugged into the 200 watt Reiff HotStrip. This thing is quiet. I'll post an update when I have it powering the 250watt Honeywell "Heat Bud" ceramic cabin heater along with the Reiff. The true test would be with the Reiff bands and their 25 watt oil cooler heater option. 200+50+50+50+50+25+250=650 watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

I dumped out the SAE 30 I originally put in it after I realized that I'm only using this in the winter. I ran it for one hour at home then replaced it with Mobil 1 5W-30. Here is a video I made today. It runs just fine when plugged into the 200 watt Reiff HotStrip. This thing is quiet. I'll post an update when I have it powering the 250watt Honeywell "Heat Bud" ceramic cabin heater along with the Reiff. The true test would be with the Reiff bands and their 25 watt oil cooler heater option. 200+50+50+50+50+25+250=650 watts.

Awesome review! Really appreciate it. But it raises some questions.

1) where do you think you're my with all that snow!?

2) did you mix the oil in the gas?

3) did you add those notes and markings or came that way?

4) what is the economy switch?

5) how cold was the generator when you started it? Fresh out from warm car? Or sitting in a cold hanger?

6) how long did it take to preheat the engine?

7) how was your flight?

1: I'm on the opposite end of the U.P. from YooperRocketman

2: 4-stroke engine. No oil mix.

3: I used a white marking pen to help me not forget.

4: Econ switch cuts the idle down when there is low demand. Saves on fuel. I don't recommend using it as it can cause a sine wave surge. (I have experienced this with other generators)

5: temp was probably mid 30's as it was in the garage for last day and took a 20mim ride to the airport in the trunk. OAT was like +4F.

6: I didn't actually preheat;just filmed it for example. I went to Goodwill and bought a comforter for $2.12 to hang over the engine. I'll go flying after tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

I used the econ switch all the time with my Honda generator, no issues except it takes a moment for the engine to catch up if there is big changes in load.

Ah yes - that is with a genuine Honda. This is a cHonda (chinese honda clone). A Generac repairman told me once to avoid using the 'econ' modes as it those control boards tended to burn up frequently. Happened to me once - a $400 part to fix a $900 9Kw generator...

I decided to put this setup to the test tomorrow. I need to fly 159nm South for a medical appointment in the morning. 2.5hrs flying r/t versus 7hrs driving. I'm going to wrap the engine with the comforter while it sits in Midland (KIKW) for about an hour. If its too cold, I'll fire up the generator and go for lunch.

Mission scrubbed. MVFR at the airfield but with many large holes in the sky. SKC over my house though. Tops at probably 4000 in my direction if travel for about 10nm just South of the field. Im driving now and just blew through the snow squall/cloud mass. Perfectly clear on the other side of the Straits of Mackinac. I should have waited for the clouds to break up. The forecast for arrival and departure airports are supposed to be perfect today. More motivation to get that IFR ticket along with more fancy instruments in the cockpit.

• Like 2

On December 18, 2016 at 5:25 PM, smwash02 said:

I ordered one yesterday since it was the last day of the special pricing and today it's cheaper than yesterday ($149.00). FYI - tigers2007, I will probably see if they'll match as any CB club member would and you might want to as well.

I ordered one Friday too. Don't need it for the hanger but couldn't resist the price ! It does still show $158 for me.

1 minute ago, peevee said:

I wonder if you can make these run on propane like the little Honda. If it's a close enough copy maybe the carb kit will work for the Honda. Sure be neat to run it off a 1lb propane cylinder instead of having gas in the plane. 

I'm thinking of getting it.  I am hoping to hear a pirep if it actually works first....

In principle, we could carry it in the airplane empty.  Then put some avgas in it when and where it is to be used.  Avgas either from a filling station or if that is not easily available, perhaps summed from the airplane?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I'm thinking of getting it.  I am hoping to hear a pirep if it actually works first....

In principle, we could carry it in the airplane empty.  Then put some avgas in it when and where it is to be used.  Avgas either from a filling station or if that is not easily available, perhaps summed from the airplane?

Get one of them big sample jars and ya, one jar would probably run her an hour but then you gotta run it dry or worry about the fuel. 

I know a guy who runs his honda generator on 100LL because that is what is easy to find at the airport.

I run my airplane tug on 100LL.  It runs great (and it is permitted).  These simple engines are not so picky as car or airplane engines.  I run my tug on the stuff I sump out of the airplane when testing for water.  It is an easy and useful place to dump that excess and it doesn't take much fuel to keep a tug happy.

• Like 1

The goofy thing about running 100LL in the generator is it will increase the difficulty of starting the preheat system in cold weather...

Preheating your preheat system can take on some complexity... like heating the intake from the carb....  (lawn tractor advice)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I'm glad that almost all of the gas stations around me have ethanol-free Premium. I used to run 100LL exclusively in all of my lawn and garden equipment to avoid the mayhem of ethanol. No longer a factor now.

18 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The goofy thing about running 100LL in the generator is it will increase the difficulty of starting the preheat system in cold weather...

Preheating your preheat system can take on some complexity... like heating the intake from the carb....  (lawn tractor advice)

Best regards,

-a-

I don't know if the 100LL will do anything to it.  Really it is such a simple engine.  The one on my tug has been running 100LL for several years, and it starts right up in one or two pulls even down to -10F when I have tried it.  I mean I am all about protecting my sensitive airplane engine with preheating - but these dirt simple little engines - seems to me overkill to preheat a mini engine like this.  Takes too much bandwidth from my complicated life to preheat an engine on a $158 generator.

• Like 1

Erik,

the 100LL is a concern because it doesn't evaporate very well as the temperature descends.  

There is a temperature that the rate of evaporation slows to a less than useable rate.

Heating the intake of the lawn tractor is used so the fuel vaporizes.

There is a nice choke on the engine that really helps to keep it running once it starts.

Preheat for the tractor usually involves a torch on that one spot.  Make sure it is metal.  Some intakes have becom plastic tubes...

Briefly, pre-heat is for a few reasons...

- increases tight spaces that can occur with tight tolerances.

- increases oil flow for protection of expensive to OH engines.

- evaporates fuel for ignition.

the preheat for 100LL shows up as the temps go below 20°F.

Continental cold start Advice is interesting.  They say cold starts can occur below 20°F without pre-heat, IIRC..?

Bummer, Nobody cares for that poor lonely lawn tug.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peevee said:

I wonder if you can make these run on propane like the little Honda. If it's a close enough copy maybe the carb kit will work for the Honda. Sure be neat to run it off a 1lb propane cylinder instead of having gas in the plane. 

i was trolling the homedepot website to see if there are other versions and found that there is a 2000kw sportsman that has dual fuel setup for propane... i haven't been able to find a propane kit for this small one, but it seems that whoever makes this brand might have a kit available  since it's on the other models