Headsets

We've tried but Darby won't keep the headset on. She won't tolerate the Mutt Muffs either. Maybe Eli can explain to her why she should be wearing them. We often use cotton balls down the ears.  And that works better.  Neither the noise nor altitude seems to bother her.  She's been to 13,500 several times for a couple of hours each time. She's also been to 17,500 once but was on the O2 with the rest of us.

• Like 1

I'll give another vote for the in-the-ear style headsets. It's such a load off not having the big clumsy ear cups on. 

I had never heard of mutt muffs before. My dog has floppy ears, and we tie a handkerchief around his head to hold his ears shut. He doesn't seem to mind it at all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Has anybody had a problem with the control unit of the Zulu2 turning all sticky? My wife uses them and if they are not in use in the plane they are in its storage case. I think it's a breakdown of the rubber like material that covers the unit, and they are only two years old.

My original zulu had this occur after they were out of Warrenty.  Call Lightspeed.  The rubber/plastic compound is breaking down.  Send it in and they'll replace the control unit/housing.  They'll do it as it's under warranty for free.

Very good customer service.

-Seth

15 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I perceive that you kids don't want to hear it but David Clark's sets are really tough.

And they take care of their customers. I returned to flying after a 20 year hiatus. The factory in Worcester MA restored two headsets that are about 35 years old to better than new condition. Then they apologized for having to charge me. They pointed out they were a tad out of warranty. 

I have had the same great experience with DC as well.  They have awesome customer service. 

11 hours ago, N1395W said:

I love mine.  Quietest headset I've ever used (including Bose).  Ear plugs aren't always comfortable, but at times neither are sweaty ear cups and pressure, to me.

You can buy heavy cloth covers for a few bucks, solves the sweaty ear cups problem and saves wear and tear on the muffs as well.

Personally I hate the ear buds/plugs, I don't use them with my iPod either.

The A20s have very little pressure, Ive worn then for 5 hours straight and 9 hours a day, no problem.

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

You can buy heavy cloth covers for a few bucks, solves the sweaty ear cups problem and saves wear and tear on the muffs as well.

Personally I hate the ear buds/plugs, I don't use them with my iPod either.

The A20s have very little pressure, Ive worn then for 5 hours straight and 9 hours a day, no problem.

Earbuds are awful! After just a few minutes they make my ears hurt.

DCs give me a headache after a couple of hours.

QT Halos use a silicone ear plug (they also have foamies, but I gave those away) that goes in your ear, the speaker itself is behind your head on the metal band. Clarity Aloft uses an earbud-style speaker that you cram in your ear, no thanks!

my longest flight so far with my Halos has been just over six hours, with a fuel stop, and I have no complaints about the Halo fit or performance. Without them, I'd have been hurting . . .

56 minutes ago, Hank said:

my longest flight so far with my Halos has been just over six hours, with a fuel stop, and I have no complaints about the Halo fit or performance. Without them, I'd have been hurting . . .

Once I got used to the background noise that comes thru my Halo, I decided that they were much easier to wear and more comfortable than my headset.  Also makes it much easier to wear reading and sun glasses.  Just finished 27 hours flying to AZ & UT from Memphis, with a couple of 7-8 hours days, and the Halos were much appreciated.

• Like 1

I think OP question has gotten lost not the first time that's happened. My wife has been consulting with Santa about a new HS for her pilot and lots of choices out there. I definitely know I don't like things in my ears. When I used to shoot in competition I always preferred muffs over plugs and I think it depends on the shape of the individuals ear that determines comfort. When I bought my C150 the seller gave me a ANC headset that I have no idea what the brand is they have held up well but sadly the internal battery no longer holds a charge. When they worked they functioned real well the passive noise reduction is still very effective. 

I am thinking would like to hijack this thread to encourage folks to provide comment on their preferred headset and why also ones that have not performed well.

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Real pilots wear...

Image result for military pic david clark headset

You left out a word. "Real old pilots wear..."

I started off with David Clark passives and was amazed how much better the first generation Telex ANRs felt on my head. It didn't stop me from buying another set of ANR Clark's but again the "clamp" sensation came back. I finally switched to LightSpeeds after my Telex unit died. Am happy with the fit. I have a set of Halos that I wear when my wife isn't wearing them. 

I really think headsets are personal fit thing. Some just feel better than others and a lot depends on whether you are a block head or not. :)

50 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You left out a word. "Real old pilots wear..."

I started off with David Clark passives and was amazed how much better the first generation Telex ANRs felt on my head. It didn't stop me from buying another set of ANR Clark's but again the "clamp" sensation came back. I finally switched to LightSpeeds after my Telex unit died. Am happy with the fit. I have a set of Halos that I wear when my wife isn't wearing them. 

I really think headsets are personal fit thing. Some just feel better than others and a lot depends on whether you are a block head or not. :)

Here is a new one that would make both of you happy..  Anyone tried these yet? I kind of like them..

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/david-clark-dc-one-x.html

-Tom

DC.jpg

21 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

+1 for the Halo's. I've been using them for about three years now, passing the Zulu 2's down to my wife. She wanted to try the Halo's on the way to OSH a couple years ago, and then got herself a set at the show.  The Zulu 2's have been passed down again, but not sure our dog Darby really appreciates the quality of headset she's wearing.

I really WANT to like these but have bought and tried them twice now and ended up selling them both times. Just not for me :( 

10 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

I love DC but find they clamp my head too much.  I have them for passengers that occasionally fly with me.  Personally the A20 knocks the socks off every other headset i have ever tried.  Their service is excellent as well from experience. 

Proof you are not a

th.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bonal said:

I think OP question has gotten lost not the first time that's happened.

Oops! Sorry. But dogs need headsets too.:)

5 hours ago, bonal said:

I am thinking would like to hijack this thread to encourage folks to provide comment on their preferred headset and why also ones that have not performed well.

I'll jump on the Bose A20 bandwagon. I bought my first set in 2011 and they work great, are super comfortable, and have held up well. My LEMO to GA adapter developed some static last year and Bose sent me out a new replacement adapter at no cost (without even having to return the bad one). That's good customer service in my book.

I made the mistake of letting my wife use them once instead of the Sennheisers she originally had. Needless to say she got her own pair shortly thereafter. The Sennheisers are now a passenger headset.

David Clark's are rock solid, but I don't think you can compare them from a "comfort" standpoint, at least with the more traditional lineup.

But like others said, it's a very personal decision. Go to a big fly-in sometime and try them ALL.

12 minutes ago, peevee said:

I kind of agree a thousand bucks or the better part of is absurd. 

Absurd indeed, but no more so than a $1,000 gear-actuator spring, or a $1,000 LED PAR46  landing light.

At the end of a 5-hour leg it's my "butt" that hurts; never my "head".

2 hours ago, TWinter said:

Here is a new one that would make both of you happy..  Anyone tried these yet? I kind of like them..

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/david-clark-dc-one-x.html

-Tom

DC.jpg

Yeah, bought a set at KOSH. Nancy got hand me down PRO-X.

IMG_20160929_105247741_HDR.jpg

• Like 1