Headsets

Be careful with old Bose headsets.  Mine are over 10 years old and the plastic seems to break everywhere now.  They have nevrr bern stored in a hot airplane.  Always in their case when not in use.

Dealing with Bose on an old (9 volt) model has been less than satisfactory.

YMMV

Has anybody had a problem with the control unit of the Zulu2 turning all sticky? My wife uses them and if they are not in use in the plane they are in its storage case. I think it's a breakdown of the rubber like material that covers the unit, and they are only two years old.

Bose replaced my 9-volt set up years ago when I sent it in for reconditioning. Replaced it with the 2 AA battery unit. Don't remember the cost but I do recall being pleasantly surprised.  This was on the original Bose X headset.  It could be an option to buy one privately and send it to Bose for reconditioning...they might give you "more" than what they charge...

I perceive that you kids don't want to hear it but David Clark's sets are really tough.

And they take care of their customers. I returned to flying after a 20 year hiatus. The factory in Worcester MA restored two headsets that are about 35 years old to better than new condition. Then they apologized for having to charge me. They pointed out they were a tad out of warranty. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I perceive that you kids don't want to hear it but David Clark's sets are really tough.

And they take care of their customers. I returned to flying after a 20 year hiatus. The factory in Worcester MA restored two headsets that are about 35 years old to better than new condition. Then they apologized for having to charge me. They pointed out they were a tad out of warranty. 

I bought a pair of h10-30s back in the 90s and I'm still using them, though now with a headsets Inc anr conversion and a new e1 mic

Another forum is all over those squawk shop anr sets. I asked for one for Xmas a couple years back and they're absolute garbage. 

Edited by peevee

I too have David Clarks converted with Headsets Inc ANR and Oregon Aero comfort parts.  A while ago I bought a pair of in ear head sets discovered here on MS, I gave them away after a few uses and went back to the DC's.

Clarence

+1 for the Halo's. I've been using them for about three years now, passing the Zulu 2's down to my wife. She wanted to try the Halo's on the way to OSH a couple years ago, and then got herself a set at the show.  The Zulu 2's have been passed down again, but not sure our dog Darby really appreciates the quality of headset she's wearing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I too have David Clarks converted with Headsets Inc ANR and Oregon Aero comfort parts.  

Clarence

Exactly the set up I have. I also took a little bit of spring force out of the headband. With the ANR and the comfortable ear pads, they are pretty nice. I don't think they are quite as nice as Bose, but for the money, better.

• Like 1

The Zulu 2's have been passed down again, but not sure our dog Darby really appreciates the quality of headset she's wearing.

I'm curious about this. My wife's been asking me to swap out Eli's Mutt Muffs with a true headset so that she can talk to him while we're flying. It complicates matters a bit that I don't want him to be subjected to all the radio chatter. I guess we could switch between "Pilot Isolation" and "Crew Isolation " modes on the audio panel when she needs to converse with him. I'd likely remove (or not plug in) the mic as his input is neither wanted nor necessary.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, cnoe said:

I'm curious about this. My wife's been asking me to swap out Eli's Mutt Muffs with a true headset so that she can talk to him while we're flying. It complicates matters a bit that I don't want him to be subjected to all the radio chatter. I guess we could switch between "Pilot Isolation" and "Crew Isolation " modes on the audio panel when she needs to converse with him. I'd likely remove (or not plug in) the mic as his input is neither wanted nor necessary.

Any advice?

Just swivel the microphone back behind his head . . .

• Like 1

Don't dogs hear in the higher frequency ranges?
Clarence

I believe so. He can probably hear sounds from the valve train that would scare the hell outta me.

Can hear him now... woof woof woof (translation: I think your #3 exhaust tappet has excessive lash).

• Like 3

I haven't done a lot, but I've done pilots n paws runs and the plane noise never seemed to bother the dogs. It's the altitude I worry about

Yeah Eli's got ~175 hours now and with Mutt Muffs usually sleeps like a baby. We keep him below 10K if at all possible (Colorado MEAs not-withstanding). He's never been above 12K.

2 minutes ago, cnoe said:

Yeah Eli's got ~175 hours now and with Mutt Muffs usually sleeps like a baby. We keep him below 10K if at all possible (Colorado MEAs not-withstanding). He's never been above 12K.

I took a collie from slc back to Denver at 13,5 and he seemed no worse for wear when we arrived. I hike 14ers and see dogs up there doing fine so I think they're OK to 14 or 15, beyond that who knows. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, peevee said:

I used mine about twice and sold them

It really seems like the Quiet Technology Halos are either love or hate, but not much in between.

I love mine.  Quietest headset I've ever used (including Bose).  Ear plugs aren't always comfortable, but at times neither are sweaty ear cups and pressure, to me.

• Like 2