Flightstream 210 and iPads and XM...

DMJones

Apologies in advance, but I searched and can't find the answer.

I just installed the 210, along with the Garmin 345 in order to have ADS B (TCAS, weather, etc).  The included Flightstream info is REALLY light (read nothing there, really).  I have my iPad paired up, but haven't had a chance to see what it and I can do.  I have a pair of 340s installed, one WAAS, and understand I can upload the flightplan.  I also seem to recall I can DOWNLOAD wx and traffic to the iPad.

I also have a previously installed XM receiver, and a third party tablet installed, but the old tablet is VERY touchy.  I'd rather upload the XM stuff to the iPAD, which is new and shiny.

Lots of questions, I'm sorry again.  Any answers or advice?

Thanks,

Dave

2 hours ago, DMJones said:

Apologies in advance, but I searched and can't find the answer.

I just installed the 210, along with the Garmin 345 in order to have ADS B (TCAS, weather, etc).  The included Flightstream info is REALLY light (read nothing there, really).  I have my iPad paired up, but haven't had a chance to see what it and I can do.  I have a pair of 340s installed, one WAAS, and understand I can upload the flightplan.  I also seem to recall I can DOWNLOAD wx and traffic to the iPad.

I also have a previously installed XM receiver, and a third party tablet installed, but the old tablet is VERY touchy.  I'd rather upload the XM stuff to the iPAD, which is new and shiny.

Lots of questions, I'm sorry again.  Any answers or advice?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave -- I think you meant 430s installed. You will need to make sure that ForeFlight has a bluetooth (I think it is bluetooth, not Wifi) with the Flighstream 210. ForeFlight Mobile needs version 7.3 and above. This is the compatibility matrix: https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/206948527-What-information-will-the-Garmin-Flight-Stream-110-210-provide-to-ForeFlight-Mobile-

Here is the detailed instructions on how to make it work: https://blog.foreflight.com/2015/09/14/foreflight-two-way-flight-plan-transfer-garmin-avionics/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Dave -- I think you meant 430s installed. You will need to make sure that ForeFlight has a bluetooth (I think it is bluetooth, not Wifi) with the Flighstream 210. ForeFlight Mobile needs version 7.3 and above. This is the compatibility matrix: https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/206948527-What-information-will-the-Garmin-Flight-Stream-110-210-provide-to-ForeFlight-Mobile-

Here is the detailed instructions on how to make it work: https://blog.foreflight.com/2015/09/14/foreflight-two-way-flight-plan-transfer-garmin-avionics/

I did mean 430s, and thanks

Dave

I've had a FS210 installed for almost two years...paired with a Garmin GDL-88 ADS-B.  You can run FS info on foreflight, but the interface seems to work much better with garmin pilot.  

If you have specific questions shoot me a PM.  I won't bust your chops for being an eagle guy either.

38 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I love the FS210 but wish the GTN 750 was able to handle more than two Bluetooth connections. When flying with friends carrying their own Pilot or FF, everyone wants to connect, so sides have to be chosen for the one remaining connection.

I can fix that, get another GTN 650,FS210,  2 additional BT connections...plus you have a backup GPS.  

Its amazing the problems that can be solved with a "little" money.  :)

That's funny. I have a GTN 750 and a GTN 650, a GDL 88, and a Flightstream 210. I use a Mini 4 in a yoke mount running ForeFlight. I have so much data, cross feeding, that the redundancy is ridiculous. My passengers can amuse themselves playing with an AERA 796 in an Airgizmo panel mount that also is coupled to the GTNs. (Also a MidContinent Life Saver back-up electric AI, and a back-up electric vacuum pump in the tail one). Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself, but then I remember that over the years I have lost vacuum pumps in IMC. In both instances the back-ups made the situation an annoyance, rather than a serious problem. With an Icarus Sam GPSS steering unit, and a KAP 150, using Flightstream and ForeFlight I have programmed 600 mile+ flights with multiple waypoints. And then at about 1500'. Coupled the autopilot to fly the route. I've mentioned it before, I almost always hand fly the return flight but I sure appreciate the new avionics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bennett said:

That's funny. I have a GTN 750 and a GTN 650, a GDL 88, and a Flightstream 210. I use a Mini 4 in a yoke mount running ForeFlight. I have so much data, cross feeding, that the redundancy is ridiculous. My passengers can amuse themselves playing with an AERA 796 in an Airgizmo panel mount that also is coupled to the GTNs. (Also a MidContinent Life Saver back-up electric AI, and a back-up electric vacuum pump in the tail one). Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself, but then I remember that over the years I have lost vacuum pumps in IMC. In both instances the back-ups made the situation an annoyance, rather than a serious problem. With an Icarus Sam GPPS steering unit, and a KAP 150, using Flightstream and ForeFlight I have programmed 600 mile+ flights with multiple waypoints. And then at about 1500'. Coupled the autopilot to fly the route. I've mentioned it before, I almost always hand fly the return flight.

Other than the backup AI's, your J and mine are identically equipped, right down to the Sam GPSS. I look forward to seeing my sister ship next month.

Other than the backup AI's, your J and mine are identically equipped, right down to the Sam GPSS. I look forward to seeing my sister ship next month.

Me too, looking forward meeting you, and seeing your sister ship.

Another thing. My combinations as described above show ADS-B weather on he two GTNs, and the Mini 4. But I have an XM subscription (Weather and music) and while the 796 gets Flight Plan coupling from the GTNs, I see XM Weather (which I really prefer) on the 796. I don't instruct the avionics shop to do this, but it's great. I've asked them if there is a simple way to display XM weather on the GTNs and/or the Mini, but they make no suggestions along that line. Does anyone on the forum have a suggestion? Thank you.

Another thing. My combinations as described above show ADS-B weather on the two GTNs, and the Mini 4. But I have an XM subscription (Weather and music) and while the 796 gets Flight Plan coupling from the GTNs, I see XM Weather (which I really prefer) on the 796. I didn't instruct the avionics shop to do this, but it's great. I've asked them if there is a simple way to display XM weather on the GTNs and/or the Mini, but they make no suggestions along that line. Does anyone on the forum have a suggestion? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY got to go fly in the new airplane.  Before yesterday, I had 15 minutes in it moving it around between local fields.  Yesterday I flew it down to KEDN to visit my son at Ft Rucker.  AND I finally got to push buttons on all the new toys.

Foreflight and the Flightstream are epic.  But I have a new question.  I was able to transfer data back and forth between the 430s and the iPad easily (i.e. clearances and route), but I wasn't able to see ADS B traffic or weather on the iPad.  I was able to see the traffic on the Garmins.  There are so many settings/buttons on Foreflight that I may be missing something.  What settings to:

1. see traffic?  I'm thinking it won't do it, but I'm hopeful.

2. see weather?  I suspect that I couldn't paint the weather, because there wasn't any.  Low IFR, but no convective.  On a related note, I flew the RNAV into KEDN, 600/2, using the coupled autopilot.  Whoa.  As nice as any airliner.  I'm elated how well it worked.

dj

1 hour ago, DMJones said:

I'm using a GTX345

So you're using both the GTX345 and the Flight Stream 210?  That's the setup that I'm looking into, but I'm trying to decide if Flight Stream is worth it.  It seems that the only thing that the FlightStream adds (that the GTX345 doesn't already provide) is flight plan transfer.  Is that correct, or are there other features that I'm missing?

3 hours ago, aggiepilot04 said:

So you're using both the GTX345 and the Flight Stream 210?  That's the setup that I'm looking into, but I'm trying to decide if Flight Stream is worth it.  It seems that the only thing that the FlightStream adds (that the GTX345 doesn't already provide) is flight plan transfer.  Is that correct, or are there other features that I'm missing?

With a 345, it would be flight plan transfers only. The 345 has the AHRS and ADS-B In for the iPad apps. If you have a 430/530, it does for easier flight plan entry.

I decided for now that I won't go the FS210 or FS510 route to get the flight transfer/database update capabilities. I have the Garmin 696 and it is happy to talk to my old non-D version GDL39 (hardwired) which sends it traffic, weather etc. I have XM radio on the 696 for those long flights. The GDL88 sends weather, traffic to the GTN650. The iPad gets data from the GDL39 which is ADSB-in for the portables. Everything is on the avionics bus so if power goes, I have nothing except the iPad. So the Dynon D2 enters the picture and provides backup AI when everything else goes. I don't fancy looking down on the iPad if I lose vacuum to get attitude information and I am in IMC. What am I missing?

Just now, wishboneash said:

I decided for now that I won't go the FS210 or FS510 route to get the flight transfer/database update capabilities. I have the Garmin 696 and it is happy to talk to my old non-D version GDL39 (hardwired) which sends it traffic, weather etc. I have XM radio on the 696 for those long flights. The GDL88 sends weather, traffic to the GTN650. The iPad gets data from the GDL39 which is ADSB-in for the portables. Everything is on the avionics bus so if power goes, I have nothing except the iPad. So the Dynon D2 enters the picture and provides backup AI when everything else goes. I don't fancy looking down on the iPad if I lose vacuum to get attitude information and I am in IMC. What am I missing?

Sriram -- I am going with the 510 for my GTN. I like the data transfer capability.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Sriram -- I am going with the 510 for my GTN. I like the data transfer capability.

Chris

I think it is nice, the data transfer capability along with some other features that the 510 brings, but I think I will wait this out a bit. The main motivation for me was to get back up AI which the Dynon D2 does well and it is right in front of me and is battery powered.

Maybe next year!

36 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Sounds darn good.

About an hour ago I updated 4 cards:  Laptop on the wing, reached in through the  little pilot side window, extracted cards one at a time, inserted into PC, downloaded multiple files into each, one after another.

So 20th century.  

• Like 1