Mooney for tall pilot

RV8Driver

Let me be the first to say welcome RV8. I'm only 5,10 and fly a short body but what I can say is if I have my seat back and am slumped all the way down I still can't reach the pedals. Lots of tall Mooney pilots on this site. In fact there are threads asking about pedal extension modification because form many you get the seat close enough to reach them pedals your so close to the panel you have to wear readers to see. Enjoy the search Mooneys are real cool airplanes 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brandontwalker said:

I am 6'2" and 240 and have more than ample room in the Mooney. Mine is a 20J, but I believe the dimensions up front are the same as the 20R. I have had two 6'6" along for rides and both commented about having more room than was expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooneys come in 3 length but, as Brandon observes, they are essential the same in the front seats. M20Cs, Es are the shortest, M20Fs, Js, Ks, are now called "mid-sized", and the "long-bodies" are the M20Ms Rs, Ss. 

I think it's fair to say that Mooneys provide plenty of head room for tall pilots. The seat track in the shortest models allows 7-1/2" of adjustment.  

Happy hunting!

Few have more leg room than Mooneys. I'm very similar to your dimensions and while I had to learn a system to get in the plane, once in i do not lack room at all. I had a partner years ago who was 5'8 and he barely could reach the rudders and his view was suboptimal. Al Mooney designed these for us tall guys. 

I think I've sat in every model and I don't recall much difference in the front  

-Robert 

• Like 1

Height not a problem, except getting in/out. Everybody has their preferred method, I put my right knee on copilot seat and step out with the left, using seat back to push off. Don't use the door!

Shoulder width  could be a problem if copilot is large, the way around this is to stagger the seats, push the copilot all the way back. 

Seat position is low, like a sports car, some don't like it, best to try it out.

3 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Few have more leg room than Mooneys. I'm very similar to your dimensions and while I had to learn a system to get in the plane, once in i do not lack room at all. I had a partner years ago who was 5'8 and he barely could reach the rudders and his view was suboptimal. Al Mooney designed these for us tall guys. 

I think I've sat in every model and I don't recall much difference in the front  

-Robert 

Yeah, a previous owner of my plane installed rudder pedal extensions for his pilot wife. I sit on a 2" cushion and still usually land and take off with the seat in the second position from the front. I'm 5'9" so I can imagine that shorter folks have to make allowances to see over the nose and reach the brakes.

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Mooneys come in 3 length but, as Brandon observes, they are essential the same in the front seats. M20Cs, Es are the shortest, M20Fs, Js, Ks, are now called "mid-sized", and the "long-bodies" are the M20Ms Rs, Ss. 

I think it's fair to say that Mooneys provide plenty of head room for tall pilots. The seat track in the shortest models allows 7-1/2" of adjustment.  

Happy hunting!

I'm 6'5" and I have more legroom in my M20J than I had in my M20D (also a short body).  In my D with the seat all the way back I didn't have an inch to spare.  My knees were just barely clear of the panel.  I can fly my J with the seat one notch up from the back.

2 hours ago, RV8Driver said:

I'm looking at purchasing a M20R Ovaition 2 GX, but haven't sat in one yet. I'm 6'6" and 240lbs. Any tall guys out there that can give advice or is there somebody near Sarasota Florida that can let me sit in their M20R?

I fit in my mid-body J model well and am 6'5" and 215 lbs. When flying, I am 1 notch up from the rearmost position and am quite comfortable. I have flown with 4 people and not changed my seat position from where it is normally. Your Ovation would have even more rear seat legroom.

One of the members on the board, Yetti, is 6'9" and flies an "F". Access and egress is a learned skill, but nothing is more fun than seeing the look on the lineman's face when I stand up after exiting the plane.

• Like 2

I'm 6'4" and at one time was close to 300lbs. The critical height measurement even for tall pilots is the hip to head ratio compared to your foot to hip ratio.

Basically -- if you are long bodied and short legged as a tall person, you may have a height issue in a Mooney. I wear 36" inseam pants and I have head clearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Al Mooney was tall, and he built himself an airplane. The rest of us sit in cushions. I'm 5-11 in my socks, and use one cushion to see over the cowl better for landing. Most pax use one or two, my wife stacks up three chair cushions (but she's pretty short).

3 hours ago, RV8Driver said:

WOW! Thank you all. It seems for a tall guy, the Mooney is comfortable.

Now I just need to try one on.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

You may as well get used to it as you search and eventually own your Mooney you will find this bunch of Mooniacs to be extremely helpful.

I think tall people are naturally gravitating toward Mooney's as it is particularly accommodating for tall pilots.  When I was buying I narrowed it down to Bonanza or Mooney, and one minute sitting in each, and it wasn't even close.

All Mooney was 6'5'' and they say that he built himself an airplane.

I am 6'4'' and also 36'' length pants - so short in torso long in legs.  I just had my seats redone by the way, and I requested that the base cushion be made 2.5'' longer than stock to better support my long femur more comfortable.  Can't wait to try - its still at weepnomore.

Go O!

Or at least get seats like the O has...

Adjustable up and down and the seat reclines infinitely....

You can set your seating height so your eyes are looking out the top of the windshield without your head bumping the ceiling.

The long nose of the aircraft is tough to see over without setting the seat properly.

If you got short changed in the leg department, the pedal extensions come in a variety of sizes.

You can really tailor a Mooney to really fit you!

Best regards,

-a-

I also have a V tail Bo (or had, my friend landed on the transitioning gear 2 weeks ago crushing the works). The Mooney is far easier on the legs. The Bo puts the yoke in your lap so I have a hard time using a knee board. Shorter pilots do better because their legs don't meet the yoke. In the T206 I'm fine though    It's a close second   

-Robert