Garmin G5 Review

FlyboyKC

4 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Garmin sent out an email about a week ago answering some questions. Basically they said that because the G5 (AI and HSI) is not TSO certified there would be huge headwinds from the FAA for even a heading bug output.  A full AP system is 1-2 years out minimum (my guess). 

This was the e-mail that went out to a lot of people from Michael.Kussatz@garmin.com:

Thank you for all the questions and I will address the whole group on a few things:

1.       When will the G5 work with autopilots?  The G5 providing attitude information to the autopilot might never happen.  The G5 HSI driving the heading bug?  That might happen, but it’s still a fight.  Here’s the FAA logic.  Autopilots systems are SUPER hard to certify and tying anything into an autopilot system gets pulled into that certification mess.  The G5 is STC’d, but it doesn’t have a TSO so, basically, it didn’t go through as much testing as autopilot systems go through.  The FAA doesn’t like that so they’re cautious on what they’ll allow.  Long story long, we’re trying.  No promises yet.

2.       G5 as a standby to G500, G1000, Aspen.  This is a weird one.  Currently, the certification for a stand-alone attitude, like the G5 is lower than the certification needed to produce a standby instrument.  The FAA’s goal was to address LOC by making it easier to install more reliable attitude indicators.  From the FAA’s eyes, changing the certification standard on standby’s takes work and that work won’t lower the LOC accidents so they’re not going to address it.  Doesn’t make a huge amount of sense, but I see their point.

Followup information.pdf

In the modern world, they still fly every test.

This could be done completely on the ground using simulation. Followed with the final actual flight testing that would nearly be guaranteed to pass.  Big strides in minimizing actual costs this way...

Is this still considered thinking outside the box?

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, FlyboyKC said:

Yes = cost of the unit plus the labor to put it into a certified airplane and sign off the logbook. Paid $2500 of my hard earned cash.

On 12/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, FlyboyKC said:

Yes = cost of the unit plus the labor to put it into a certified airplane and sign off the logbook. Paid $2500 of my hard earned cash.

Where did you do this install if I may ask? I want to do same install as Stand By AI. Then i can do away with my vacuum pump and all. I already have a G500...

12 hours ago, hramirez8 said:

Where did you do this install if I may ask? I want to do same install as Stand By AI. Then i can do away with my vacuum pump and all. I already have a G500...

That is not possible. The G5 is not approved for that role. 

• Like 3

I'd like to see that. I think the G500 and G5 STC's language prohibits it.  But I don't own either 

It does Byron (prohibit it), I went with the L3 ESI-500 for my G500 as did Don on his G500 and Chris on his dual Aspen. This is specifically what the ESI-500 was designed for. 

However, as stated above some FDDO's are allowing installers to ignore that the G5 has not been approved for EFIS backup and provided a field approval. The other Paul S - gxrspilot - above was the one that got field approval for the G5 with Aspen.

The $ savings just isn't worth the added risk to me, even with dual GTN GPS installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It does Byron (prohibit it), I went with the L3 ESI-500 for my G500 as did Don on his G500 and Chris on his dual Aspen. This is specifically what the ESI-500 was designed for. However, as stated above some FDDO's are allowing installers to ignore that the G5 has not been approved for EFIS backup and provided a field approval. The other Paul S - gxrspilot - above was the one that got field approval for the G5 with Aspen.
The $ savings just isn't worth the added risk to me, even with dual GTN GPS installation.

And to boot, the ESI-500 has features including Nav capabilities, SVT and a really beautiful display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

That is not possible. The G5 is not approved for that role. 

Yeah, I have a friendly avionics shop willing to do it, but i'd rather go legal and get alternative such as the ESI-500 or Sandia 340 Quattro. The latter is legal for stand by attitude, altitude, airspeed and vsi... Basically can do away with all the steam gauges. I would need to get a field approval for the J I think, working on that. Any inputs welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does Byron (prohibit it), I went with the L3 ESI-500 for my G500 as did Don on his G500 and Chris on his dual Aspen. This is specifically what the ESI-500 was designed for. However, as stated above some FDDO's are allowing installers to ignore that the G5 has not been approved for EFIS backup and provided a field approval. The other Paul S - gxrspilot - above was the one that got field approval for the G5 with Aspen.

Downside to the ESI-500 is that it is only std by for Attitude.

Downside to the ESI-500 is that it is only std by for Attitude.

I looked at both the ESI-500 and Sandra Quattro. The ESI-500 did not require a field approval to act as a backup to my Aspens, the Sandia would have.

The G-5 not approved as a backup (Trek Lawler from Garmin was on this site and told us this). That said it appears some FSDOs are approving it as a backup.

239a78a6c051e01beed0d97066a1ea81.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I looked at both the ESI-500 and Sandra Quattro. The ESI-500 did not require a field approval to act as a backup to my Aspens, the Sandia would have.

The G-5 not approved as a backup (Trek Lawler from Garmin was on this site and told us this). That said it appears some FSDOs are approving it as a backup.

239a78a6c051e01beed0d97066a1ea81.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm curious if the FSDO is allowing the G5 to be installed for that purpose if they would allow the experimental version of the G5 too?  That would give hsi/nav cdi all in one unit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I'm curious if the FSDO is allowing the G5 to be installed for that purpose if they would allow the experimental version of the G5 too?  That would give hsi/nav cdi all in one unit. 

A friend of mine got approval to have the experimental version installed in his baron as a standby instrument.

Brian

Is this installed as a required standby or as a third attitude?  Legally speaking these aren't the same thing. An approved standby must be installed.  A T/C fulfills this requirement. You can install anything beyond that fairly easily now.  Is this the situation? 

Edited by jetdriven

1 hour ago, orionflt said:

It was installed at donigal springs, we triple checked that they knew what it was going in. they had no issues with it being a secondary instrument, really is the way it should be!

Brian

23 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Is this installed as a required standby or as a third attitude?  Legally speaking these aren't the same thing. An approved standby must be installed.  A T/C fulfills this requirement. You can install anything beyond that fairly easily now.  Is this the situation? 

Byron -- the shop at Donegal Springs, PA is the shop that did my install and I am certain they wouldn't have installed it unless it met the regs. I spent a lot of time with them on the stand-by AI situation since I was removing my vacuum system. My guess is this is a purely extra AI in the panel. 

5 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I have an Aspen with an air driven backup ai.  It sounds like adding a experimental G5 to the far right panel (3rd ai) should not be an issue?

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

Byron -- the shop at Donegal Springs, PA is the shop that did my install and I am certain they wouldn't have installed it unless it met the regs. I spent a lot of time with them on the stand-by AI situation since I was removing my vacuum system. My guess is this is a purely extra AI in the panel. 

in the case of the baron, no mandatory standby was required so the experimental version was allowed giving more function. I wonder with the new dual G5 stc if you would meet the requirements to be used as a standby.

Brian