Garmin G5 Review

FlyboyKC

Well I broke down and got the Garmin G5 indicator to replace my AH. Wow!! what a indicator? All the data at one glance, airspeed, altitude, ground track, ground speed, and of course the artificial horizon. Its nice to have all that information on one device, I mean I still do my instrument scans, but at a quick glance its very helpful. The only thing I need my vacuum pump for is to run the autopilot so I am screwed if the alternator and battery ever dies.

Now for my rant, while I am happy with the G5 the only difference in this and the one for the experimental aircraft is a feature unlock on the device. Yes the STC's version has features restricted (for $1K more in price). For the most part I don't think I would use many of the restricted features that much so no great loss, but its just the point of the matter.

1202160547.jpg

• Like 2

Well I broke down and got the Garmin G5 indicator to replace my AH. Wow!! what a indicator? All the data at one glance, airspeed, altitude, ground track, ground speed, and of course the artificial horizon. Its nice to have all that information on one device, I mean I still do my instrument scans, but at a quick glance its very helpful. The only thing I need my vacuum pump for is to run the autopilot so I am screwed if the alternator and battery ever dies.
Now for my rant, while I am happy with the G5 the only difference in this and the one for the experimental aircraft is a feature unlock on the device. Yes the STC's version has features restricted (for $1K more in price). For the most part I don't think I would use many of the restricted features that much so no great loss, but its just the point of the matter.
1202160547.jpg

Shhhhh! Don't you know we have a bunch of guys who think glass panels are the devil's work. I absolutely love what capabilities these devices bring to our class of airplane.

Seemed like only yesterday we were rubbing sticks together to make fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FlyboyKC said:

This seems like a lot about nothing. When you look at the details, all you would get is GPS track on the HSI page; which you already have at the top of the G5 display. Its not like G5 users are missing out on Heading info, which is only provided in the G5 experimental version if you have both the G3 and an optional magnetometer. And its still only a backup to the G3. So frankly, even if they didn't hide the HSI function on the certified version, wouldn't that be a waste of glass real estate to display the same GPS track info already displayed. 

But of course you got a great new glass certified primary attitude display with all the other nice features IAS, altitude, VSI etc is all great stuff - and it looks nice in your panel. You did good and got some excellent capability for half the cost of anything else and that's the real point of the matter!  

On the other hand if anyone really want the whole enchilada, certified to support navigation, synthetic vision, obstacles and even heading - that's available too, starting at couple more AMU's - the L3 ESI-500.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NotarPilot said:

May I ask how long installation took?

I can't say but can imagine installs cost really varying depending on whether its being connected to an existing compatible GPS or if yours would need their optional GPS antenna installed.

I believe the G5 comes with an internal GPS (which is disabled when its coupled with the 430). With the way GPS technology is these days it probably doesn't need an external antenna. The cost installed was $2,500 to couple with the 430. Since I had a new Garmin GTX 345 transponder installed at the same the IFR certification was included in the total cost.

On 12/6/2016 at 6:02 PM, FlyboyKC said:

I believe the G5 comes with an internal GPS (which is disabled when its coupled with the 430). With the way GPS technology is these days it probably doesn't need an external antenna. The cost installed was $2,500 to couple with the 430. Since I had a new Garmin GTX 345 transponder installed at the same the IFR certification was included in the total cost.

Just to be clear, the $2500 included the cost of the G5, correct?

The installed prices I got ranged from $2,500 to $4,000 when I started looking over a month ago. One of the shops that quoted $4,000 has done a couple of installs now, and is now pricing at $3,200. Ours is being installed right now. I'll report the price back once we know. We're expecting $600 to $800 on install labor.

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

Did you ever get an answer to your install time question? I saw you posted on Beechtalk and the install costs were all over the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really, they were pretty much all over the map. I'm watching the install times on MS more closely because we tend to be a much more frugal bunch than those Bonanza drivers.

I'm not a mechanic, not of the airplane type anyways. I've studied up on the G5 install quite a bit. The cheapest install seems to be if the GPS in the G5 can get it's signal without the antenna or GPS connection. All you need is power, pitot/static, and block off the open vacuum line. Second cheapest is if you connect the G5 to your WAAS Garmin GPS. A third option is if you have to install a GPS antenna just for the G5. You have all the cost of installing the antenna on the plane and running wires (remove/install interior). Some shops seem to be pricing it as worst case. 

10 hours ago, AaronDC8402 said:

The installed prices I got ranged from $2,500 to $4,000 when I started looking over a month ago. One of the shops that quoted $4,000 has done a couple of installs now, and is now pricing at $3,200. Ours is being installed right now. I'll report the price back once we know. We're expecting $600 to $800 on install labor.

That's just crazy. 4K for labor is Aspen install money. This is an attitude indictor with pitot static and some GPS inputs. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

That's just crazy. 4K for labor is Aspen install money. This is an attitude indictor with pitot static and some GPS inputs. 

I agree. For a little more money you get a fully functioning glass panel that replaces your 6 pack instruments , plus GPSS, for around $12K installed while the G5 does 1/6th for around $4.5-5K installed.   The G5 will never be able to have SV or be able to drive your autopilot. Even the Dynon does more including some safety features for approximately the same price. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it was $4.5 - 5K I wouldn't of installed it as that is not a good value. At $2500 still a little pricey but lots cheaper then an ASPEN. (which I would love to have). Any shop installing this for $4k even with the external antenna is gouging you.

$2500 is a damn good price for a G5 installed IMHO (G5 included).  I wouldn't say is only does 1/6th of what the Aspen does, I don't think that's a fair assessment. It provides airspeed, ground track, GS, VS, AI, altimeter slip/skid, turn rate and  configurable v-speeds.  The added redundancy means a lot to me and my safety.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2016 at 4:31 PM, FlyboyKC said:

My G5 installed was $2500. $2100 for the unit and $400 for the install and certification. They just basically remove the old attitude indicator and plug this one into power & the pitio  static system.

That is amazing. Just a pitot static test is $350 and while they don't need to redo the cert they'll at least need to hook up the equipment and verify the airspeed and altitude. So that is an amazing price for install.

-Robert