Garmin G5 Review

FlyboyKC

On 2/8/2021 at 11:52 PM, jamesm said:

How would that would work?  hypothetical speaking. If your G5 Altitude is being corrected for barometric pressure  and possibly  for  Temperature if you have the GAD 13 .

If I am not mistaken.... Doesn't the Altitude encoder return an altitude to ATC with Altimeter setting 29.92" and no temperature correction and then get corrected on the ATC's end ?

I have noticed countless planes on the  the Ipad  with their altitude reading  waaay off. It annoys me having so much incorrect data being displayed.  I don't rely on it.

I couldn't possible see how the ATC's system could tell what altitude is being sent to it. whether  Altitude  that is corrected being for 29.92"  or Altitude from CAN Data or GPS altitude or  ????

Curios to know

James '67C

I’m just now reading this thread after having an issue with a shop doing a cert on a transponder. But here’s the skinny on the altitude 

The install manual for the GTX 335/345 is the only place you will find the G5 providing the altitude. However it is listed as the GAD29B. the GAD takes info in the form of rs232 and arinc429 compiles the data and spits it out on the can bus for the G5s. The altitude goes to the transponder on a 429 line additionally the altitude is corrected and uncorrected. So, regardless of baro setting the transponder is only getting 29.92. The transponder gets all of the info on the data line and only takes what it’s looking for.

hope this helps, Angel

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, Avionicsguy said:

I’m just now reading this thread after having an issue with a shop doing a cert on a transponder. But here’s the skinny on the altitude 

The install manual for the GTX 335/345 is the only place you will find the G5 providing the altitude. However it is listed as the GAD29B. the GAD takes info in the form of rs232 and arinc429 compiles the data and spits it out on the can bus for the G5s. The altitude goes to the transponder on a 429 line additionally the altitude is corrected and uncorrected. So, regardless of baro setting the transponder is only getting 29.92. The transponder gets all of the info on the data line and only takes what it’s looking for.

hope this helps, Angel

Angel,

I have the exact setup you mentioned above (G5s, gad29, gtx 345).  Altitude is fed to the -345 via A429 from the gad29.  I have been having intermittent pressure altitude failure.  Garmin says there is a problem with communication between the gad and gtx.  They want me to install a gae12 and static line to the gtx instead of getting altitude via the arinc429.  Have you heard of this kind of communication issues?  It had been working fine for a couple years.

36 minutes ago, Larry said:

Quick G5 question.  Will the G5 battery charge from the ship battery when parked or does it charge only when plane is powered up?

Thanks!

Only when the airplane is powered up.   The the attitude indicator that means the main bus and for the HSI that usually means the avionics bus.

So if it is defective it won't drain your ship's battery.   In general only the clock and overhead cabin light can do that (or an electronic ignition if so installed).