New to Mooney Space

FloridaPilot

Hello,

Never flown in a Mooney but I have been in one at Sun and Fun. (Ovation 2) Not ready to buy a bird yet, just looking at how much it's going to cost monthly and yearly.

I live in the Tampa area, does anyone know what hangars and tie downs are going for these days in this area?

Thank you!

Welcome. I am north of you in the greater Lake City area, but I have a much older -C model. The Ovation is quite an able-bodied bird. 

Tell us more about you. What do you fly now? How many hours do you have? What type of flying do you do? What is your mission?

Being another Florida pilot, turbo-normalizing and/or turbocharging isn't as much as a necessity as it is out in the Rockies, so if you are set on a newer plane, the Ovation should fit you fine. We do have several Tampa members that can chime in with the hangar prices. My only word of caution is keeping well on the anti-corrosion front.  Tampa is perhaps the worst climate to keep a plane. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Welcome. I am north of you in the greater Lake City area, but I have a much older -C model. The Ovation is quite an able-bodied bird. 

Tell us more about you. What do you fly now? How many hours do you have? What type of flying do you do? What is your mission?

Being another Florida pilot, turbo-normalizing and/or turbocharging isn't as much as a necessity as it is out in the Rockies, so if you are set on a newer plane, the Ovation should fit you fine. We do have several Tampa members that can chime in with the hangar prices. My only word of caution is keeping well on the anti-corrosion front.  Tampa is perhaps the worst climate to keep a plane. 

Tampa is the worst throughout Florida for corrosion?

Sat in a Mooney at Sun and Fun, never flown a Mooney just Cessna and Pipers I haven't owned an airplane yet and I realize it's like a marriage, a serious financial commitment.  46 Years young, Always had an interest in flying my whole life but growing up in New York was tough to realize that dream, (Not many GA airports in the city, space is limited). Moved all around the United States, (Seattle, California, Atlanta and now Florida) for work but Florida is my final destination.

Not purchasing yet but I'm just kicking tires until I get some retract time, timeline to purchase is around 3-4 years.

My mission is to purchase and fly throughout the Bahamas and BVI and also New York to visit family.

Anything else I missed let me know.

FP

If flying and florida are in your future, consider buying a home in a fly-in community.  You will find the convenience and comaraderie give you great benefits.

http://www.airportairparkhomes.com/floridahomes.asp

http://livingwithyourplane.com/directory-2/

There are also airports with residential access like:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/X39

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

I dont think you need to get retract time before you buy a Mooney.  I cant remember if you have your PPl yet or not?

I cant help on hangar rates etc, but would strongly recommend having a hangar, great "Man Shed" if nothing else.   Keeps the plane, clean dry and away from prying eyes and fingers.  In Florida it will keep it out of the sun as well (being a Brit i don't know what that looks like).  I am moving out of London soon (next two years) and one of my prerequisites to my house hunter was that any potential house they found had to be within 15 mins drive of the airport, any airport, but preferably one with approach facilities so i can get home if the weather goes pear shaped, or i happen to see the Sun and get scared.  I think any distance over that puts too much opportunity for you to do "other things"  as it takes too long to get to the plane so you don't use it effectively.  

Things to consider as part of your move.   A mooney however will cope outdoors with wind better than other brands as it is low and "heavy ". It tends not to move in the wind so much from experience.  

Andrew

You are right, it will keep bugs and rodents away as well, yes I have my PPL. I did price out some hangers out of Saint Petersburg FL (KSPG) and Clearwater (KCLW) and starting was 600 per month.  Yes, I can pay it but the more I do pay things like this the less airtime I'm going to have. So I will keep digging.

Moving out of London? Did you have in mind what state? There are a lot of fly in communities here in Florida and I think they're pretty cool.

The Brits I hang out with are avid sport fans and there are quite a few here in Florida. They are among the best sports fans in the world!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

not to turn this into a florida corrosion thread, you do need to be a little more proactive about preventing corrosion in any plane based near the coast.

There is a lot of old cars here and they seem to do just fine, most airports are few miles from the beach. Sun, mice, and insects can be a problem, I definitely would try to get a hangar if possible and be cautious of buying a plane that's sat outside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

There is a lot of old cars here and they seem to do just fine, most airports are few miles from the beach. Sun, mice, and insects can be a problem, I definitely would try to get a hangar if possible and be cautious of buying a plane that's sat outside.

Not disputing but I do wonder if there are a lot of old cars that don't have rust near coastal areas. Most cars hit the scrap yard well before the age of a lot of aircraft, and rust isn't something that typically sidelines a car.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2016 at 0:26 PM, rbridges said:

not to turn this into a florida corrosion thread, you do need to be a little more proactive about preventing corrosion in any plane based near the coast.

There are some people at my home airport that keep there planes outside. I will check with them to see how there planes are holding up.  Thanks!

It *can* be done with a lot of "ifs"

If- you fly it often
If- you have a plane cover
If- you extensively use Corrosion X or ACF50
If- you are prepared to have a bad looking paint job

My plane was painted in 1990 and while its got A LOT of rash over the years, it still looks amazing from 40 yards away. I'd give it a 6.5/10. It's been hangared its entire life and sans some corrosion spots on the screws for the closeout panels, its clean as a whistle, even after living in Miami for 20 years.

It will be ok. Just make sure to have corrosion x applied regularly. My mooney spent a couple years out of its long life in mount pleasant SC where in light it from. The corrosion x makes a mess and streaks but the plane looks new inside.

I still think the plane like SC better than MN. It told me it longs for the sunny beaches with babes instead of -38c dark approaches into frozen tundras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wooops....I missed part of the thread. I was referring in my comments above about storage inside in a high humidity salt air environment not out side.

Storage outside in my opinion a good way to ruin a good aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk