Extra 300's, Texas and improving flying skills..perfect

So, long time Mooneyspacer but first time posting, here goes…  I only came to flying about 6 years ago but confess I have become bitten with the bug.…   I consider my self fortunate to fly regularly (about 250 hours a year) and just passed my latest IPC. However, I recognize that I sometimes suffer from a lack of confidence mostly in bumpy or harder IMC where, despite keeping on top of hand flying skills, I know that I worry about the “what if I had an emergency right now” scenarios too much.  Honestly, some of the stories I read here and on other GA sites of folks flying to IFR approach minimums in single pilot, single engine piston planes in hard IMC conditions simply highlight flying situations that (I think) are always going to be beyond my personal minimums.

Still, I fly an amazingly capable aircraft and want use as much of its potential as I feel comfortable with so I started thinking about / talking to other pilots and especially my CFI gurus (thanks Chris, Dave and Ed!) about how I might improve my real world flying skills and in so doing try to increase my IMC proficiency / confidence another few steps at the same time.  I mulled over taking the CPL course at first and then maybe doing the multi engine IFR thing as well.  But I don't have a real need for either of those ratings and work / the rest of life calls too so the time commitments would have been challenge (not to mention the cost).  Anyway, this post is to share my decision to take Upset Prevention & Recovery Training. Next week will see me in Texas with the folks at APS based at KGKY where I will be doing a course that includes a section specificity on IMC upset recovery techniques. The cherry on the top of this whole deal (other than flying away from the start of our Canadian winter for a few days) is getting to experience first hand what an Extra 300L can do as well! The more I read and learn about UPRT the more I’m thinking I made the right call…we shall see.  Best of the season to all.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Just now, Seefuture said:

So, long time Mooneyspacer but first time posting, here goes…  I only came to flying about 6 years ago but confess I have become bitten with the bug.…   I consider my self fortunate to fly regularly (about 250 hours a year) and just passed my latest IPC. However, I recognize that I sometimes suffer from a lack of confidence mostly in bumpy or harder IMC where, despite keeping on top of hand flying skills, I know that I worry about the “what if I had an emergency right now” scenarios too much.  Honestly, some of the stories I read here and on other GA sites of folks flying to IFR approach minimums in single pilot, single engine piston planes in hard IMC conditions simply highlight flying situations that (I think) are always going to be beyond my personal minimums.

Still, I fly an amazingly capable aircraft and want use as much of its potential as I feel comfortable with so I started thinking about / talking to other pilots and especially my CFI gurus (thanks Chris, Dave and Ed!) about how I might improve my real world flying skills and in so doing try to increase my IMC proficiency / confidence another few steps at the same time.  I mulled over taking the CPL course at first and then maybe doing the multi engine IFR thing as well.  But I don't have a real need for either of those ratings and work / the rest of life calls too so the time commitments would have been challenge (not to mention the cost).  Anyway, this post is to share my decision to take Upset Prevention & Recovery Training. Next week will see me in Texas with the folks at APS based at KGKY where I will be doing a course that includes a section specificity on IMC upset recovery techniques. The cherry on the top of this whole deal (other than flying away from the start of our Canadian winter for a few days) is getting to experience first hand what an Extra 300L can do as well! The more I read and learn about UPRT the more I’m thinking I made the right call…we shall see.  Best of the season to all.  Cheers.

You will have a great time in a 300L. I did something similar and had the most fun throwing up while flying the 300L. I would do it again in a heartbeat even though I know the outcome will result in a significant loss of weight...

• Like 1

Welcome out in the public arena, Long Body Pilot!

The 300L should help separate the issues of normal fear from abnormal fear...

And probably make you want to fly straight and level in the Long Body again for a long time.

Have you taken the MAPA PPP course before?

The nice thing about this course is it is all Mooney,  CFIIs and pilots.  A really good social atmosphere to discuss all things Mooney and train on all things related to Mooney approaches.  Take and discuss the most challenging approaches available...

Your insurance likes you to do it so much they give a discount for it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

For me it was joining the Mooney Caravan and then getting serious about formation flying. I got serious enough about it to qualify for FAST card. One of the unintended consequences was that keeping the needles centered in IMC or shooting an approach to minimums, is like childs play.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back folks, I'm packing more sick bags now...  I have not taken the MAPA PPP course but it sounds like a great fit for me and I am going to see if I can arrange to be in Fort Myers in February for the next one so thanks for that suggestion.  Also (excuse the ignorance) what is a "FAST" card? Obviously formation flying related but I confess I have not come across that before and unless I miss-typed it Google hasn't either....  

Talking of IMC, I've been sitting in Ontario watching the WX at various spots between me and KGKY (and specifically in and around Dallas) for the last two days and depending on when I get there, I see lots of what I consider "really bad shit IMC", so here I still am for now.. Hoping to head down early tomorrow now cos Monday is my back up day..

G

1 minute ago, Seefuture said:

Thanks for the feed back folks, I'm packing more sick bags now...  I have not taken the MAPA PPP course but it sounds like a great fit for me and I am going to see if I can arrange to be in Fort Myers in February for the next one so thanks for that suggestion.  Also (excuse the ignorance) what is a "FAST" card? Obviously formation flying related but I confess I have not come across that before and unless I miss-typed it Google hasn't either....  

Talking of IMC, I've been sitting in Ontario watching the WX at various spots between me and KGKY (and specifically in and around Dallas) for the last two days and depending on when I get there, I see lots of what I consider "really bad shit IMC", so here I still am for now.. Hoping to head down early tomorrow now cos Monday is my back up day..

G

Formation and Safety Team (FAST) an organization and standard supported by various clubs and organizations for the safe enjoyment and training of formation flight. I got my FAST Wing card by attending a Red Star Pilots clinic.  Qualifying for the FAST Wing card takes quite a bit of training and practice. A better way to start formation flying is to join a Mooney Caravan formation clinic or a B2Osh formation clinic. These are good introductions to formation flying. 

There's no question that learning to fly formation well, will make one a much better stick and rudder pilot. I know I'm a much safer pilot as I'm able to control my airplane to much closer tolerances than before formation flying.

• Like 1