Adventures in Annual round 2

Yetti

Very sore.  Mechanical work is Harder than my day job.  The lead up is the engine is had a miss about a minute or so after start up. Cleaned plugs and then replaced all left mags with fine wire.    Mag checks fine, flys fine, in flight mag check fine.   No engine monitor.   Lube all pivot points warm up and take over to the professionals to see what is going on.   Compression check is all above 75s.   But when it comes off the top can hear some release into case on 2 and 4.  Decide to put rem37by on bottom and run the fine wire on top.  Mechanic is not a big fan of finewires. So we will see.

Found broken right mag blast tube. working on pulling the Gear Actuator to send to Don.  Pulled right master brake cylinder to rebuild.  Better securing of air cooling tube to fuel pump.  better securing of MP line to gauge.

Other stuff and things.

arms and shoulders and neck sore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Very sore.  Mechanical work is Harder than my day job.  The lead up is the engine is had a miss about a minute or so after start up. Cleaned plugs and then replaced all left mags with fine wire.    Mag checks fine, flys fine, in flight mag check fine.   No engine monitor.   Lube all pivot points warm up and take over to the professionals to see what is going on.   Compression check is all above 75s.   But when it comes off the top can hear some release into case on 2 and 4.  Decide to put rem37by on bottom and run the fine wire on top.  Mechanic is not a big fan of finewires. So we will see.

Found broken right mag blast tube. working on pulling the Gear Actuator to send to Don.  Pulled right master brake cylinder to rebuild.  Better securing of air cooling tube to fuel pump.  better securing of MP line to gauge.

Other stuff and things.

arms and shoulders and neck sore.

My sympathies! I've start the annual this week, way too much time on the dolly removing the one piece belly and all those access panels. (I ordered 100 ea #6 & #8 x 1/2" cad plated flat head screws. I've had it with ss.) I pulled the prop governor and got it sent off for warranty check out. Pulled the plugs which look good - I love fine wires.

I can barely move my neck, shoulders - too old for this...   

This is Yetti's thread but I'm in owner assist annual as well.

Polishing the spinner while it was off the prop this morning I discovered that the support disk in the nose is badly cracked. Anyone know what that will mean when I show it to A&P Lynn? wonder why that would break? Can it be repaired? Prop/spinner is just over 2 years old with ~170 hours.

IMG_20161203_124322432[1].jpg

IMG_20161203_124510102[1].jpg

That stinks. I'd be arguing with hartzell on that one!! There might be too much wobble in the dome of the spinner. Teflon tape can suck the slop out of it. I think it's toasted to be honest. I'd save the spinner, and see if hartzell will sell you/give you the bulkhead. I don't know how it's bonded in. If it's just proseal, you could save it. If it's bonded on w/ Hysol, good luck. Cut out the bulkhead with a dermal? Hartzell probably won't give you the data to replace the bulkhead. 

Btw- nice air to air shot of your airplane in your Avatar.

-Matt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MB65E said:

That stinks. I'd be arguing with hartzell on that one!! There might be too much wobble in the dome of the spinner. Teflon tape can suck the slop out of it. I think it's toasted to be honest. I'd save the spinner, and see if hartzell will sell you/give you the bulkhead. I don't know how it's bonded in. If it's just proseal, you could save it. If it's bonded on w/ Hysol, good luck. Cut out the bulkhead with a dermal? Hartzell probably won't give you the data to replace the bulkhead. 

Btw- nice air to air shot of your airplane in your Avatar.

-Matt.

Matt, thanks!

Any chance Hartzell might repair or give credit for "core"?  We just sent the governor (same time in service) off to APS for inspection. We've been chasing RPM fluctuations which JPI and Paul Kortopates (Savvy) think are real and not instrumentation. Any way these issues could be related? Which would be cause and which effect?  

Hi Bob, When I talked with Hartzell at Osh, I asked about the viability of repairing a crack like yours as I was looking at buying a spinner on EBay and was advised it's not repairable. I hope there's some warranty consideration given for yours. 

David

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Bob, When I talked with Hartzell at Osh, I asked about the viability of repairing a crack like yours as I was looking at buying a spinner on EBay and was advised it's not repairable. I hope there's some warranty consideration given for yours. 

David

Hi David, thanks for the input. I actually happen to have a spare spinner but I'll sure be looking to Hartzell for help. I'll be interested in any ideas as to what causes 

I hope your new job has not completely shelved the cowl project, I'm deferring painting my E until I get a new nose.

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

This is Yetti's thread but I'm in owner assist annual as well.

Polishing the spinner while it was off the prop this morning I discovered that the support disk in the nose is badly cracked. Anyone know what that will mean when I show it to A&P Lynn? wonder why that would break? Can it be repaired? Prop/spinner is just over 2 years old with ~170 hours.

IMG_20161203_124322432[1].jpg

IMG_20161203_124510102[1].jpg

Bob,

If Hartzell turns you down you might check with TCB Composites to see if they have a carbon fibre version.

Clarence 

1 hour ago, Leekelley said:

Lee,

I note the SB is dated in 2002. My Scimitar prop/hub/spinner was new in 2014 so i would not think it applies. Am I missing something? 

Hey Bob,

The prop on my plane was installed new in 2010 by previous owner. In 2013 I noticed a crack in the spinner. My A&P discovered the service bulletin HC-ASBA-61-332 and Hartzell sent a new composite spinner to replace the existing one. You are correct it is old, but mine was as well and Hartzell stood behind it. Hopefully you will have the same experience. I love my prop and the composite spinner works great.

Best of luck.

Lee

13 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Lee,

I note the SB is dated in 2002. My Scimitar prop/hub/spinner was new in 2014 so i would not think it applies. Am I missing something? 

• Like 1

Um it is almost lined up with the hole.... and a standard socket is too big for the hole.....  Ground off socket

I put myself through college turning wrenches above my head and I was sore then.... so I am not blaming age.   neck is because I am holding my head up off the concrete.  So I got a cushion.

challenge.jpg

Looking at Bob's piece...

Looks like Grumman was in charge of building the spinner.  They glued the pieces together..?

It gives a superior exterior finish where the other spinners have fasteners in that area...

I was expecting to see a really uniform application of the glue.  But it appears as though somebody with a glue gun did it by hand...

If this is the case a small amount of glue on one side more than on the other can cause a lot of force transmitted through the piece.  Continuous working of the metal leads to a crack...

Long winded explanation for... check in with Hartzell.  Their hand assembly process probably causes a few returns like this...  the photograph shows evidence of uneven excess glue.

+1 on the improved diet and exercise routine.  It is easier to stay in shape than to recover from an injury... (somebody important said this once.  It's on the wall at the local gym.)

Best regard,

-a-

• Like 1

Least favorite part of the owner assist annual is rolling around on the damn creeper working the underside. Has anyone ever seen a shop that has something like a three post lift. With adjustable tops could accommodate many airframes just like the post lifts at most auto repair shops. I don't do much home auto repair anymore if it requires me on the creeper. Imagine how much easier and faster if you could do all those under belly tasks standing up. Seems like the airplane maintenance and repair industry kind of missed this.

20 minutes ago, bonal said:

Least favorite part of the owner assist annual is rolling around on the damn creeper working the underside. Has anyone ever seen a shop that has something like a three post lift. With adjustable tops could accommodate many airframes just like the post lifts at most auto repair shops. I don't do much home auto repair anymore if it requires me on the creeper. Imagine how much easier and faster if you could do all those under belly tasks standing up. Seems like the airplane maintenance and repair industry kind of missed this.

I have my RV4 on a modified car lift and both hangars have heated floors which are nice to work on.

Clarence

23 minutes ago, bonal said:

DMax has a lift. I think he does enough gear ups to keep it busy. 

IMG_20160521_120425913.jpg

• Like 1