AOPA Flight Planner works with ForeFlight and Now Garmin Pilot

Great to see the AOPA flight planner continue to mature and really like the integration with EFB's. 

After doing a quick test run, my wish list is more integration with https://www.1800wxbrief.com for nextGen weather briefings. And really looking forward to a web based flight planner that does table based performance modeling as Jeppesen has been doing in their product all along and as Garmin Pilot just introduced to the iPad recently. With that and Winds aloft calculations that give time and fuel for different altitudes like so many are doing now on the tablet now we can really do accurate fuel planning. Ability to plot multiple weather layers on the map simultaneously (nexrad, winds, sigmets airmets, metars etc) rather than one at at time will be a plus too.  

Edited by kortopates

8 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

George, I fail to see the point of this? If the pilot already has garmin, foreflight, or another efb, he can already do all of his flight planning straight on there. What would be the point of the extra step up of doing it with the AOPA planner and then using the integration to transfer it over?

5 hours ago, kortopates said:

Great to see the AOPA flight planner continue to mature and really like the integration with EFB's. 

After doing a quick test run, my wish list is more integration with https://www.1800wxbrief.com for nextGen weather briefings. And really looking forward to a web based flight planner that does table based performance modeling as Jeppesen has been doing in their product all along and as Garmin Pilot just introduced to the iPad recently. With that and Winds aloft calculations that give time and fuel for different altitudes like so many are doing now on the tablet now we can really do accurate fuel planning. Ability to plot multiple weather layers on the map simultaneously (nexrad, winds, sigmets airmets, metars etc) rather than one at at time will be a plus too.  

FltPlan.com has been doing it for years. And now you can integrate that with their mobile app fltplan go. It actually does a better job of this than the EFBs so I do end up running their site before I go and then beaming it to my fltplan go app.

12 hours ago, 201er said:

George, I fail to see the point of this? If the pilot already has garmin, foreflight, or another efb, he can already do all of his flight planning straight on there. What would be the point of the extra step up of doing it with the AOPA planner and then using the integration to transfer it over?

I think it's cool, but I was wondering how it would help, too. The only thing that crossed my mind was flight planning on a pc when you don't have ForeFlight available; my iPad is in my flight bag and I don't like using the phone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daver328 said:

tting my PPL* at (KOJC) Johnson County Executive (Kansas City Area) and Quarterback Joe Montana was the talk of the airport ...

I never knew this about Joe,  and I was a huge fan when I lived in San Francisco during his 49er days (where he should have stayed until the very end).

A lookup to the FAA Airmen Certification Branch site contains two Joseph Clifford Montana's, and neither have had a valid medical since the mid 90's.

17 hours ago, 201er said:

FltPlan.com has been doing it for years. And now you can integrate that with their mobile app fltplan go. It actually does a better job of this than the EFBs so I do end up running their site before I go and then beaming it to my fltplan go app.

Indeed about Fltplan.com - I have used them for some time. In fact they have some nice ios apps that I still use primarily for weather and Wt&Bal, but I have recently replaced the latter with Garmin Pilot. I have used their flight planning and think they have the best ATC integration of any, but I really don't like their web applications. I don't care for their interface at all.

I do like WingX and Garmin Pilot. In fact, WingX was my favorite for domestic use, but its lack of international support and garmin integration has pushed me to Garmin Pilot. But given that these days, the iPad apps have caught up with the capabilities of all of the free web based flight planning capabilities I understand your question why even bother with a web based app. Plus I personally think Garmin Pilot has now surpassed all of free the web based apps (at least for my needs). But I have been a hold out myself, but primarily because I prefer a purchased Jepp flight planning s/w that still does considerably more than any of the free products and even Garmin Pilot. Yet I am always looking to ditch it and am getting closer. But I think a lot of us prefer to do flight planning on the PC where we have virtual unlimited access to whatever we want. Otherwise you could ask the same question as to why Foreflight just introduced their Web based flight planning s/w. But for myself, I think I'll likely always use multiple apps and platforms for different things. For example, I prefer to file VFR through LM website for their easyactivate, close, and wx updates. I'll probably stick with Jepp for international flight planning for awhile since I prefer features that include allowing me to print out the filled in ICAO flight plan form to give to official; which has always saved time and simplifies getting what i want. But I am constantly re-evaluating as the technology changes.

Edited by kortopates

8 hours ago, kortopates said:

I'll probably stick with Jepp for international flight planning for awhile since I prefer features that include allowing me to print out the filled in ICAO flight plan form to give to official; which has always saved time and simplifies getting what i want. But I am constantly re-evaluating as the technology changes.

BTW fltplan.com does that really well too.

• 4 weeks later...