filling the inboard fuel tanks only with the monroy LR tanks

peevee

trying to get a grasp on how to manage fuel with the monroy tanks on the new to us plane.

If I fill the inboard tanks to some value, say 30 gallons, per the wing mounted fuel gauges, is that going to be a reasonably accurate indication of the fuel on board? Or will fuel travel uphill to some extent into the long range tanks?

If I fill the inboard tanks completely do they bleed over any into the long range tanks?

Trying to figure out how we can reliably leave the plane parked with about half tanks, but still know within reason how much fuel we have on board and wrap my head around the monroys.

Edited by peevee

I wrote a post on this a while ago that I think will answer most of your questions. I'm driving right now and don't have the flexibility to link to it. You can search or Maybe someone else on the forum can help point you to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, DVA said:

I wrote a post on this a while ago that I think will answer most of your questions. I'm driving right now and don't have the flexibility to link to it. You can search or Maybe someone else on the forum can help point you to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this one?

I skimmed it and wasn't sure how applicable it'd be to a K, I'll reread it, thanks!

Speaking of, if we are supposed to have placards for the monroy tanks, they we lost when the panel was redone. We have no such placard.

Edited by peevee

Peevee

I have the Monroy tanks also on my M20J (100 gallons total). If the tanks are almost empty and I only fill the mains I will end up with 32 gallons each. But after 15 minutes some of the fuel will go into the Monroy tanks. The level on the mains drops to 25 gallons each but I still have 32 gallons available (mains + LR). On the panel gauges there is more fuel onboard from the mid scale to full mark indicated. But from mid scale down to the empty mark the fuel onboard is the one indicated. 

José Monroy

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Peevee

I have the Monroy tanks also on my M20J (100 gallons total). If the tanks are almost empty and I only fill the mains I will end up with 32 gallons each. But after 15 minutes some of the fuel will go into the Monroy tanks. The level on the mains drops to 25 gallons each but I still have 32 gallons available (mains + LR). On the panel gauges there is more fuel onboard from the mid scale to full mark indicated. But from mid scale down to the empty mark the fuel onboard is the one indicated. 

José Monroy

Ok, I think as long as I fill it to 30ish on the wing gauge and I'm reasonably confident I have about 60 gallons on board that's perfect.

Any tips for getting the LR tanks full? take all four caps off, fill the inner tanks, put inner caps on, fill outer tanks, a little patience, fill outer tanks again?

Edited by peevee

11 minutes ago, peevee said:

Ok, I think as long as I fill it to 30ish on the wing gauge and I'm reasonably confident I have about 60 gallons on board that's perfect.

Any tips for getting the LR tanks full? take all four caps off, fill the inner tanks, put inner caps on, fill outer tanks, a little patience, fill outer tanks again?

Just fill inboards then outboards. Read the total off the pump.

• Like 1

One more point I think is missing in the above.

Now that you realize that after filling your mains alone, that the fuel will quickly settle into the outboard/Monroy tanks. One of the most important things you'll want to know now is how many gallons does it take to be remaining in your main tank so that the outboard is now dry. That isn't till about 1/2 capacity on the mid-body's through the current production Acclaims. Which translates to 18 gal on my 252. Therefore, if you want to top off the main's only, the only way you can do that by just filling the main tanks is to ensure you don't have more than that much fuel remaining or you will end up with more weight and fuel than just the mains filled - you'll have the mains full plus some unknown quantity in the Monroy's. Then you'll have to go by actual fuel added from the pump as Mike said and wait till a future fill up to in effect zero-out the error in how much fuel you think is really there. 

Edited by kortopates

4 hours ago, Piloto said:

Peevee

José Monroy

With a name like Monroy - I guess you would have Monroy tank!

My airplane is at weepnomore for a reseal job plus LR tank upgrade right now,

17 minutes ago, peevee said:

Well this took a hell of a turn. 

I guess we'll just have to trust the jpi 900 and pick a level to leave it at based on what it thinks we have left. 

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. The fuel gauges are unreliable. This is why I generally fly top off to top off because it is the most accurate way to know how much fuel you've got. No reliance on fuel gauges or pump gauge.

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. The fuel gauges are unreliable. This is why I generally fly top off to top off because it is the most accurate way to know how much fuel you've got. No reliance on fuel gauges or pump gauge.

Problem is we share the plane, so I need a reasonably reliable way to make sure it parks with the same volume of fuel it left with. We have over 1k of useful load so I guess fill her up is an option too. My partners are smarter than I am, maybe they'll have ideas. 

Just now, peevee said:

Problem is we share the plane, so I need a reasonably reliable way to make sure it parks with the same volume of fuel it left with. We have over 1k of useful load so I guess fill her up is an option too. My partners are smarter than I am, maybe they'll have ideas. 

Dipstick! No, not calling you one. You need to calibrate one. I did this for mine and this is pretty much the most accurate measure. Here's how.

Get a generic dipstick that isn't calibrated for anything. I think it reads in inches centimeters or something like that. Run a tank dry. Go to the pump and fill 5 gallons at a time (1 at a time if you are insanely patient). Inboards then outboards. Take your time so the fuel spreads between tanks. At every five gallons on the pump, take a measurement by dipping both tanks. Make a table. I rounded mine off to the nearest 5 gallons because it's not really that accurate. But it will definitely get you within the right ballpark and if you always arrive with 1 hour and some of fuel in reserve, it will work out. Considering how you have partners, you can't solely rely on the totalizer in case someone sets it wrong. You will especially have to dip to make sure it is reading as expected.

35 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Finally, somebody with a real need for those new digital/programmable fuel level floats/indicators!

OK, the calibrated stick is still pretty good...

Best regards,

-a-

You bet. I have the calibrated dipstick which has kept me in the ballpark for years. But I have the CIES fuel senders going into my plane now with a EDM900 to hopefully get much more accurate fuel remaining numbers. But it remains to be seen though that given there are no fuel senders in the extended tanks, that CIES senders will eliminate the dipstick and my desire to top off the mains only after they are below half full when possible.  I am expecting though that my CIES senders will be calibrated based on fuel in both mains and extended tanks but we'll see how well that goes.

• Like 3

Expect inaccuracy, after the fuel level float maxes out.  

1) It won't be able to know what has gone in the tank after that.

2) Time has also become part of the equation as it can take time for the level to equilibrate between the entire system.

3) can you get a second float for the one float/extended tanks?  Copy what the Long Bodies have...?

PP thinking out loud...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1