How much can your Mooney carry with full fuel?

FloridaPilot

On 12/2/2016 at 8:12 AM, Hyett6420 said:

Dear Florida Pilot.  I promise you you have not rattled any feathers at all.  You asked a question which to be honest is a legitimate question with your experience level.  (And thats not a put down by the way). The guys on here were educating you on what the real question to ask though.  Oh and we are rather passionate about how good our planes are :)  

Im from the UK; my Mooney 201 will hold full tanks (64 us galls) , 2 adults, luggage for a week for two and i reguarly fly 600 miles with an hours reserve to the south of France.   Now in your Cessna or Piper (not meridian) thats a 6 hour flight or so, brakes to brakes.  In the mooney its just over 3:30 (20 knot tail wind thrown in). I fly at 155knots burning the same fuel a Cessna 152 burns! I get asked to slow down on approaches sometimes!  

In a car your family will moan like heck if you leave them there for 6 hours (and if they dont can i swap families).  A plane is no different.  The quicker you can get to your destination on as little fuel as possible the better.   Mooneys are really "time machines".  

Have a look at what your avg trip length will be, how often do you want to do that trip.  Think of the places you want to go to as well, for after all that is what a plane is for (a car with wings).  Then work out who you take on those trips.  Teenagers wont always want to go flying with you, in fact most wont want to even admit you are their father!  So Wife/husband, young children, baggage, four hours endurance at 155 knots takes you 500 odd miles.  Thats a Long way.  

When you are training you are taught to top up the tanks ad this is a good thing, BUT if you are only going 100 miles, there is fuel at your destination, and you want to carry 4 large Starbucks Latte drinkers, then you need to balance fuel with load.  Ie do you need 6 hours endurance to travel a 40 minutes flight.   (No).  You are taught to fill up so that you have LOTS of options as a Student Pilot.  Airlines for example only load the fuel that they need for the journey, as this saves them fuel as they dont need to carry it.   Hence useful load is a double edged sword question. 

Hope that helps, and trust me this is a very very friendly helpful forum.  Welcome on board and when you have an idea or question please feel free to mention/ask it.  We dont bite i promise.

Andrew

ive added your mission to my weight and balance calculator for my J   See below

IMG_0698.PNG

This is awesome!! Where can I get this app?

15 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

Yep, I'll be happy to help you get hooked on the Mooney drug FL Pilot. I'm in Ocala. What's your schedule like?

Pretty much busy until after the holidays with the family, work and the misses but I'm available after New Years. I will pop in on here when time permits.  What airport do you fly into here?

Hi Floridapilot:

I am close to you being in Tarpon Springs. I am a Mooney Specific CFII master instructor that specializes in transition training and instrument ratings in Mooneys. Unfortunately I do not train folks in the Bravo I fly because it is not insured to be a trainer. Lord, I would hate to see what that would cost :) I would be happy to give you a flight in it, other than it is going to Texas for its annual as soon as I get back to the Bay area from training a new Acclaim owner next week in Atlanta, and Ill pick it back up sometime in Jan.

That said, the Mooney Lunch group will be meeting in Punta Gorda next Saturday. Reach out to David Taisch to see if he can hook you up with someone who can give you a lift to the lunch! Great group where you can get real up close and personal with Mooneys of all shapes and sizes!

daveanruth AT OAL.com

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Hi Floridapilot:

I am close to you being in Tarpon Springs. I am a Mooney Specific CFII master instructor that specializes in transition training and instrument ratings in Mooneys. Unfortunately I do not train folks in the Bravo I fly because it is not insured to be a trainer. Lord, I would hate to see what that would cost :) I would be happy to give you a flight in it, other than it is going to Texas for its annual as soon as I get back to the Bay area from training a new Acclaim owner next week in Atlanta, and Ill pick it back up sometime in Jan.

That said, the Mooney Lunch group will be meeting in Punta Gorda next Saturday. Reach out to David Taisch to see if he can hook you up with someone who can give you a lift to the lunch! Great group where you can get real up close and personal with Mooneys of all shapes and sizes!

daveanruth AT OAL.com

That is interesting that you get Mooney service in Texas.  Is there a reason why you don't get serviced in Florida? Family is not going to let me get away this December.  When you come down I will pay for fuel!

On 12/3/2016 at 2:23 PM, FloridaPilot said:

Pretty much busy until after the holidays with the family, work and the misses but I'm available after New Years. I will pop in on here when time permits.  What airport do you fly into here?

Ok, let me know. I can fly into PIE if that works for you. 

Also,I bought my Mooney with no retractable time. Insurance company required 5 hours with an instructor an then 5 hours of solo before taking passengers. 

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

Also,I bought my Mooney with no retractable time. Insurance company required 5 hours with an instructor an then 5 hours of solo before taking passengers. 

Steve

Wow! thats it? I heard different.  You don't have to get your complex endorsement if you have flown Pipers and Cessnas?

12 minutes ago, FloridaPilot said:

Wow! thats it? I heard different.  You don't have to get your complex endorsement if you have flown Pipers and Cessnas?

No, you get the Endorsement while flying the required dual. That's what I did, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

Steve

Yes, whichever is easier for you! or KSPG

28 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

FloridaPilot (might want to give us your first name if you plan on being around for a while!),

If you haven't had a ride in one yet, I'm about an hour north of you and I can come down sometimes. I'm only 25 and I just got ironed out in my C model but if we can accommodate, let me know.

What airport are you out of?

Thanks for the offer, I have plenty of airports around me KPIE, KCLW, KSPG.

My friends call me Ray, I plan on being around here awhile. I seem to learn more here then on Pilots of America, I'm there under the same name.

14 minutes ago, FloridaPilot said:

I have foreflight as well, amazing app. I have the trial version that will expire the end of this month. I will renew once I get my airplane.

Try all the apps available, especially WingX, FltPlan Go and Fly Q. Of the 4 mentioned, ForeFlight is my least favorite (and the only one of the 4 I currently do not have on my iPad). 

I've written this before and pissed off some people, because it is true, I think:

Most of the people using ForeFlight bought it and use it because someone told them to, and they did - never even trying another app. Most of the people using one of the other apps have tried a few including ForeFlight and decided a particular app was best for their needs.

Give them all a fair shot, maybe including others I didn't mention and make your own decision on what the best app is for you. Don't just blindly buy ForeFlight because someone told you to.

• Like 3

WingX gives a free trial period.  The regular subscription is free for CFIs and our military brothers and sisters...

For the rest of us, they ran a sale this week, $19.95 for the year...

For weight and balance, I have WnB app on my old iPad.  I have to figure out how to get the data off the old iPad and port it to the new iPad....?

I would really like an app that does T/O and landing distance calculations if you know any.  The same data we get using our fingers on the graph in the POH.... less human error this way!

It's nice to see the development continues... Garmin and their dynamic glide rings.  I wouldn't want to wait for an engine out situation to decide which app I am going to use... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Try all the apps available, especially WingX, FltPlan Go and Fly Q. Of the 4 mentioned, ForeFlight is my least favorite (and the only one of the 4 I currently do not have on my iPad). 

I've written this before and pissed off some people, because it is true, I think:

Most of the people using ForeFlight bought it and use it because someone told them to, and they did - never even trying another app. Most of the people using one of the other apps have tried a few including ForeFlight and decided a particular app was best for their needs.

Give them all a fair shot, maybe including others I didn't mention and make your own decision on what the best app is for you. Don't just blindly buy ForeFlight because someone told you to.

I agree!

I get ForeFlight for free for my work and I still pay to have Garmin Pilot for my personal use.  I'm not calling it a bad app, I'm saying it is my least favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

You are exactly right, thanks for that bit of information I will try them all.