Are you a VFR or IFR pilot?

nels

10 minutes ago, nels said:

I am a VFR pilot and I'd like to get an IFR rating but in my heart I know it probably won't happen. I'm curious how many Mooney pilots are VFR pilots. Also, how long have you been a Mooney owner and how far have you ventured from home in your Mooney. 

Training is always good and the rating will make you a better pilot. I have over 300 hours of dual received in my logbook.

• Like 2

Not wishing to offend, but owning a Mooney as a VFR pilot would be like owning a motorcycle that was stuck in 1st gear.

I'm sure this little community would be willing to help a fellow Mooney pilot get the IFR, and take the shackles off that bird. So if you have any questions that you don't understand or can't find answers to, advice on practice, test prep, oral/checkride prep, let us help out. A Mooney with an Instrument rated pilot at the controls is a VERY useful airplane.  Oh, and your insurance will surely drop significantly.

I was just a 300 hour IFR pilot when I bought my first Mooney about three years ago. I'm based in Austin, TX and if you look at my signature map, you can see how far we've been in the Mooney.  We did over 4000 nautical miles in the C just in July of this year.

• Like 7

IFR since 1986 or '87 da, Maine to Fla to West. coast, I have accomplished numerous 1200+ NMile trips non stop since semi-retirement, most would have been difficult if VFRated. Our Mooneys are meant to fly cross country. Good luck in deciding to get instrument rated Nels find some buddies here on MS as Rocket mentioned and go for it

I was a VFR pilot when bought the Mooney. The first year I upgraded the panel from original Silver Crown to Aspen + GTN650. Then over a period of about 2 months I got my IR in the Mooney. I am a believer in training with the plane and equipment you are going to fly with afterwards.

Now that the rating is done I get my actual time in 1 or 2 minute increments. Usually just through a layer of fog. I still cancel trips due to high winds and/or icing conditions. But having the rating makes a huge difference.

Larry

Edited by larryb
  • Like 1

Got my Mooney and my IR in 2013. Have not done the long trips like some have, but do the 3-4 hours hops to see friends or family. Wife and I are planning on longer time and distance trips when retired in a few years. Used it the first week after I finished it and file IFR every trip unless it is a hop around the area for approach practice or showing friends the land around the house from the plane.

mooney owner for 4 months.  IR student for 5 months.  Honestly I'd like to fly without this damn hood on more often... made 4 crappy laps on practice VOR-A approach at LBG today.  then a VOR into fullerton.  then home.  nice landing though!!  Im getting pretty good greasing it on but will admit there hasnt been a lot of wind lately.

Edited by TheTurtle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nels said:

I am a VFR pilot and I'd like to get an IFR rating but in my heart I know it probably won't happen. I'm curious how many Mooney pilots are VFR pilots. Also, how long have you been a Mooney owner and how far have you ventured from home in your Mooney. 

I am still VFR as well, but I'd like to say I'm committed to finishing IR - sadly progress is stalled right now, but I certainly hope to push over the hump at some point. in the next couple years. It's not even a matter of time as much as making the mental space right now. 

However I still find flying VFR very rewarding even after about 250 hours in my plane since getting it <2 years ago right after my PPL checkride. I am certainly much more proficient in it now than when I got it, and I try to fly in the system as much as I can except for really short hops.  I figure that can only help me get ready for instrument.

I'm curious - why you think it won't happen for you?

• Like 1

PPL checkride, 5/21/07.

Mooney purchase, 6/26/07. Yeah, baby! Insurance was pricey with only 62 Cessna hours.

Lived in far western WV. Flew the wife to Yellowstone, stayed in Cody, WY KCOD, Labor Day 08. 1320 nm each way, not counting flightseeing detours. Went VFR both ways,with one early, long lunch westbound waiting for weather to clear up, and one stop short for the night on the way home.

IFR checkride, 4/30/10, after I finished grad school at night. Both at once was too much. 

Furthest IFR flight from WV was to Ft. Lauderdale KFXE. Northern stop was Niagara Falls KIAG, a pretty short trip, ~2-1/2 hours.

Now I live in Lower Alabama and haven't made a long trip since moving here in early '14 . . . Other than a couple of trips back to WV for friends, wife's family, etc. (3 to 3-1/2 hours each way.) At least the beach is close!

2 hours ago, nels said:

VFR

Three trips from Tennessee to New England (900 mi) one way this past summer.

Several FL and GA trips this past summer.

IFR hopefully by the end of 2017. Learning new panel.

IFR allows you more utilization of your plane, It does NOT make you a better pilot. I've seen plenty of great VFR pilots that know far more than some IFR guys I've met. A pilot's skill is measured by planning and proficiency, not a IFR stamp. It really strikes a nerve with me as a VFR pilot when a IFR guys says, " Oh get your IFR, you will be a better pilot".  I say fly safe, plan and be proficient no matter what stamp you have on the license.

-Tom 

• Like 7

Owned my Mooney since 2005.  IFR rated since 2008.  Like some others have said, IFR can be a challenge in the winter (not a lot of opportunity to do it because flying in icing conditions is a deal-breaker for me.)  

Also I like the challenge and practicing the precision of flying IFR.  This is especially true where traffic is more than in Northern Ontario.  When I am in the "system" a second set of eyes is watching the traffic around me and that is not always available with flight following.

Mooney owner for 3 years and IR for 10 months. You really do become a better pilot with the rating and much safer all around. You get so much more utility out of the Mooney with it, u don't worry about weather as much. Obviously don't want to be a reckless... stay away from ice and TS. I was one of those guys that thought in my heart I would never finish it but so glad I pushed myself to. Very rewarding! 

Mike

I totally agree with Tom above, to a point. I have had my instrument ticket for a long time, but I don't think it necessarily makes me a better pilot than every non-instrument pilot out there. For example, my son who does not have an instrument ticket yet is a way better stick than I ever was. However, speaking for myself, I feel the the training and flying instruments has sharpened me to be a much better pilot within the realm of my own innate abilities. The rating does I think require one to have a deeper knowledge of most things aeronautic, including and especially weather. There is certainly no downside to training for and having the rating.

• Like 3