Are you a VFR or IFR pilot?

nels

Mooney owner for 3 years. I am not an IFR pilot but will be this summer. 

I was in the military, so I have flown my C from Olympia, Washington to the South-east and everywhere in between. It was fun to fly from one coast to the other in my Mooney within the first year of ownership.

Edited by rbuck

2 hours ago, nels said:

I am a VFR pilot and I'd like to get an IFR rating but in my heart I know it probably won't happen. I'm curious how many Mooney pilots are VFR pilots. Also, how long have you been a Mooney owner and how far have you ventured from home in your Mooney. 

I'm a VFR pilot. I've passed the IFR test, twice. That being necessary due to having surgery on my neck and back and the long a recovery period. I have about 12 hrs of hood time toward IFR. We've had the Mooney since 2004. Many cross country flights from NE Arkansas including Wichita, Dallas, DesMoines, Oshkosh. I look forward to getting the IFR rating.  

M20-J purchased 2007 and VFR.  Longest flight 300nm and had to modify, wait, and cancel more times than I can count  

IFR rating 2010 and since then have done multiple flights as long as 850nm. I have modified, but have not canceled a flight on the intended day of departure or arrival since 2010. However, I do not fly IFR from late December thru end of February. 

The only thing you will regret when you get your IFR, is that you didn't get it sooner 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nels said:

Both!!!

Owner for five years, got my instrument training and checkride in my Mooney. Furthest I've been from home? 2100nm to San Diego. But most remote places were Cambridge Bay, Canada (1900nm), San Andres, Colombia (1700nm), or Trinidad and Tobago (1900nm). Longest single flight, 1320nm from Linden, NJ to SAN Marcos, TX nonstop.

To the guys saying instrument capability doesn't make you a better pilot, bullshit! Having additional skills and knowledge is undeniably better. If the guy is an outstanding VFR pilot he will either make just as excellent an instrument pilot OR he will remain a VFR pilot but with greater skills and knowledge at his disposal should he ever need them. Folks, three hours of mandatory instrument for private pilot just doesn't cut it. The Mooney can go far enough fast enough for weather to unexpectedly change.

I have flown NJ to FL IFR and VFR just the same. Sometimes it is less hassle going VFR on a beautiful day. Sometimes IFR is the only way. But many times both are possible but IFR is safer and less consuming. It is possible to fly down the entire east coast with it being 3000 or even 2000 overcast. But that would be difficult and stressful. I much prefer to kick back on top of the clouds knowing I have the instruments and capability to get back down on demand. Flying on top of a cloud deck VFR without instrument capability is flat out stupid.

Sometimes IFR in VMC is preferable. For example at night, international, or into unfamiliar terrain.

Having an instrument ticket does not mean you have to fly IFR or in challenging IFR. That is up to the pilot to decide. Likewise, a private pilot certificate allows a pilot to fly in crazy wind or marginal VFR conditions but it may be best not to.

It is certainly best to have the capability to fly both VFR and IFR and to have the prudence when not to fly at all.

Edited by 201er
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

VFR 

IFR hopefully by the end of 2017.

IFR . . . does NOT make you a better pilot.

Finish the rating and get back to us. I'll bet you will have changed your mind. The IFR rating requires training. Training (sufficient to pass a written test, oral exam and practical check ride) makes you a better pilot. You learn so much more about weather, "the system" and precision flying of your airplane - you will be a better pilot. Your insurance premium goes down noticeably after obtaining the IFR rating, why do you think that is ?

• Like 8

Just now, KLRDMD said:

Finish the rating and get back to us. I'll bet you will have changed your mind. The IFR rating requires training. Training (sufficient to pass a written test, oral exam and practical check ride) makes you a better pilot. You learn so much more about weather, "the system" and precision flying of your airplane - you will be a better pilot. Your insurance premium goes down noticeably after obtaining the IFR rating, why do you think that is ?

+1

IR in 1992, bought my first Mooney 2 months later. 

Didn't just make me a better pilot, it even made me a better driver (course I was a little reckless back then at 27). 

• Like 1

The statement that getting your IR does not make you a better pilot is incorrect. (If you are not getting better fire your instructor) 

it is fair to say that getting your IR is not the ONLY way to get better. 

The IR teaches you how to utilize your aircraft in different situations and learn aircraft navigational systems.

Having lost friends who have inadvertently flown into clouds I think it is incredibly important for pilots who can fly long distances to have the ticket. Don't have to use it but have it in your back pocket when needed. 

• Like 6

I earned my PPL in 1989 and stopped flying in 1998. I got my BFR in early 2016 (I'm back) and I'm committed to buying a Mooney and earning the ir in 2017. I bought the king school online program and I'm not ashamed to say that I've fallen deeply in love with Martha King. I do believe the ir will make me a much better pilot as well as increasing the versatility of my license even if I keep my personal minimums high.

Lawrence

• Like 3

VFR, would like to get the IFR someday.  I have 2200 total hours and about 270 in Mooney's.  Not sure how much IFR flight I can do from Utah as most of it would be into icing conditions.  It would be nice to be able to fly IFR it if needed, but I am conservative and don't fly at night either in SEL.

• Like 1

I guess I read Tom's post a bit differently.  OF course getting an IFR rating will make any pilot better than they were before the IFR rating. But a pilot who has an IFR rating isn't automatically better than a different pilot who isn't yet.  There are some very good pilots out there who aren't IFR rated. And there are some IFR rated pilots who are pretty terrible. But certainly a good pilot or a poor pilot will undoubtedly be better by working through and obtaining and Instrument rating.

Now it you really want to become a good stick and rudder pilot and be able to control your Mooney to much tighter tolerances than even an Instrument or Commercial rating will do, learn to fly formation. Go and get your FAST Card. :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

VFR

Three trips from Tennessee to New England (900 mi) one way this past summer.

Several FL and GA trips this past summer.

IFR hopefully by the end of 2017. Learning new panel.

IFR allows you more utilization of your plane, It does NOT make you a better pilot. I've seen plenty of great VFR pilots that know far more than some IFR guys I've met. A pilot's skill is measured by planning and proficiency, not a IFR stamp. It really strikes a nerve with me as a VFR pilot when a IFR guys says, " Oh get your IFR, you will be a better pilot".  I say fly safe, plan and be proficient no matter what stamp you have on the license.

-Tom 

I don't agree with you Tom. First you have more information such as weather and procedures and know where to get more. Second you've another 20 hours plus dual with someone more experienced. Gert your IFR and fly a few hundred hours and you'll be very glad you got it. 

• Like 1

Tom--

No one is saying, "IFR pilots are better than VFR pilots." What's been said, several times, is, "getting my Instrument rating made me a better pilot." As with all endeavors, some people are better than others, so some VFR pilots are undoubtedly better than some IFR pilots. But even a good VFR pilot (I like to think I was, and still am, one) can learn new flying skills, fancier bits of navigation, and hold altitude and heading more precisely, by spending a few handsful of hours flying with a CFII learning to control the plane when you can't see out the windows, and how to find the airport when you can't see it.

While the training can be intense, and feel like information overload at times, the flights themselves are often pretty cool--blasting out of rainy yuck, spending just a few minutes in the gloom, and breaking into smooth air and bright sunshine! Or more sedately, droning on for a couple of hours in your very own unmoving milk bottle, then descending and there in front of you is a runway with the right numbers painted on it . . .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mooneyflier said:

I'm a VFR pilot. I've passed the IFR test, twice. That being necessary due to having surgery on my neck and back and the long a recovery period. I have about 12 hrs of hood time toward IFR. We've had the Mooney since 2004. Many cross country flights from NE Arkansas including Wichita, Dallas, DesMoines, Oshkosh. I look forward to getting the IFR rating.  

Hang in there I've had 7 back/ neck surgeries, with 9 fused vert between my neck and lower back, after a few long recoveries and being basically told my flying and golf days were over ( luckily they were wrong) I'm now basically fine, worse part was not flying for a couple yrs. Have trust you'll get your ticket be persistent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

I've owned 2 Mooneys, the current one for 5 years, the first for 11.

PPL 1969, IR 1978.

From home in NC I've had the Mooney in all the colored states below plus the Bahamas. I think I'll talk to Nancy about filling in those Western states next summer.

God Bob your getting old, how's Nancy?

I certainly believe there can be an attitude that IFR pilots are "better" than VFR pilots, but as has been noted, the skills of each group spread the spectrum from poor to very good.  I couldn't use my plane for my mission without the rating, but rarely log much IMC time.  I have always stated to my local pilots, you are not on a cross country flight until you stop for fuel and your next leg is still outbound (although 201er has kind of destroyed that concept).  I have a friend that routinely flew from the U.P. of Michigan to St Pete, FL several times a year, and never possessed an IFR rating.  I would fly with him anytime.  But.....he had a lot of times he sat wanting to fly down or back because of weather he could have easily flown in with his IFR ticket.  He wasn't resisting the rating, just couldn't find time as a truck driver to complete his ticket.

I've got 8 states (including Alaska) yet to complete my 49 (will never fly to the Island), but then I am REALLY OLD.

I posted earlier this year a situation where my sister's life was saved due to "training" to get her IFR ticket, even though she never obtained the rating.  Might be a good read if you didn't see that post.

Tom

First gear fits my mission. For nearly 800 hours I have travelled to/from cottages and to visit family. 2-3 hour pleasure flights. An extra day or a return if I must drive are a good thing as I like where I am going and who I am going with and to see.  No regrets. Just a lot of fun and no stress getting there or back again. Single engine night, over water, or over mountains not my thing. 

Somebody give me 5 grand and I will check the box. Otherwise rather buy guns and experiences that allow others to "drive". (Apologies to my friend Up North)

• Like 2

Going on 1.5 years owning my first Mooney.  I've had my IR since '10.

Getting your IR involves taking a deeper dive into weather, aircraft performance, navigation, and human physiology.  Knowledge is always your friend: when you have a deeper knowledge base, your decision making improves.  This makes you a safer pilot, and a safer pilot is a better pilot.  It's not the only way to make yourself a better pilot, but it's a darn good one.  The lowered insurance and greater XC flexibility are nothing more than icing on the cake.

However, understand the limitations too.  I use my IR for getting in and out of marine layers here in So Cal, but not much more.  My bird doesn't have an autopilot, so I wouldn't trust myself to fly multi-hour XC's in solid IMC.  And a low freezing level keeps even the most seasoned instrument pilot on the ground.

• Like 4

I've owned a Mooney sense 84 and had an instrument rating sense 86. I've flown the Mooney to California, Washington, Connecticut and Florida. I did Pennsylvania to Arizona in one day once. 

When the weather is good you go VFR, when it is marginal you go IFR, when it is real bad you go VFR.

• Like 2

Got my private in 85, bought my first Mooney in 89, and IFR 12/20/90.  Quit flying in 02 and sold Baby.  Fast forward to 2015... got the itch to fly again, BFR in Oct and bought my K in Feb of 16.  Furthest flight, North Coast of CA to OSH. ( and back).

Pritch

I've had my instrument rating for almost 6 years and been a Mooney owner for almost 2 years.

I truly believe that the instrument rating is the best, most useful rating you can get - unless you have no interest in travelling with your airplane and if that's the case, why bother having a Mooney.

You really can't beat taking off on a dreary overcast day and breaking out on top into glorious sunshine. I don't think that'll ever get old for me.

The furthest trip I've done so far was 1,000nm (to Florida) and I've done many other 600-800nm trips.