Autopilot STC

Autopilot

I have already been in contact with the group and have been pushing the MOONEY agenda. We are on the list but will not see anything for at least another year. 

I offered to work with the group to try to expedite the mooney STC but they are west coast and I am east so it makes it hard to collaborate.

brian 

Welcome aboard, Mr. Autopilot...

Feel free to introduce yourself. We are always interested in ways to improve our Mooney birds.

Please, use some caution in going too commercial. We have a different section for that.  This way our members that don't want the pitch don't have to see it all the time...

It really would help if you have something for the Mooney community.

Best regards,

-a-

By the way...  the link you supplied, didn't work with my iPad...

carusoam,

Try http://www.trioavionics.com/ 

1 hour ago, Autopilot said:

Trio Avionics is working with an independent outside group to obtain an STC to install autopilot systems in certified aircraft.  You can read a press release at http://www.trioavionics.com/press.htm.  The FAA is providing encouragement.....

Autopilot,

I'm based at Gillespie field, so if you need a Mooney for testing, lets discuss... Feel free to send me a PM.

Respectfully,

Jon

• Like 1

The EAA is also working on an STC autopilot from Trutrak Vision similar to their efforts with the Dynon D10A EFIS which should be available for our Mooney near term. https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/09-22-2016-eaa-announces-trutrak-stc-project. Ideally since the D10A already has a built in autopilot it would be nice if the EAA got that additional capability STC'd. One would only need to add a couple of servo's and maybe the optional button controller for a full featured autopilot including emergency level and 180 degree turn capability. All this for about $2000 in additional cost over the D10A. 

Edited by Cris
  • Like 5

On 11/30/2016 at 0:11 AM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Mr. Autopilot...

Feel free to introduce yourself. We are always interested in ways to improve our Mooney birds.

Please, use some caution in going too commercial. We have a different section for that.  This way our members that don't want the pitch don't have to see it all the time...

It really would help if you have something for the Mooney community.

Best regards,

-a-

By the way...  the link you supplied, didn't work with my iPad...

appears to be a shameless commercial post with little or no intent to actually engage customers after spamming us.. boooo

And just yesterday was this latest announcement from the EAA. https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/11-30-2016-new-autopilot-stc-project-follows-eaas-lead I like the last sentence which says The EAA is now working on BOTH the Trutrak AND the Dynon autopilot for certified aircraft.

Edited by Cris
  • Like 1

I have contacted Paul Odum who is championing this STC, he is working with several engineers also, and he is open to pursuing the STC for other airframes after the Cessna one is completed, please see his email below and note that he would like a show of interest, so if we want to "vote up" the Mooney let him know!  It's Pauldotodumatsbcglobaldotnet

I am not involved in this other than being very interested in getting the Mooney STC done so I can install one of these...

Joel  64 M20E

All,

Here is the standings on Type Group Interest. If you would like your type group to get moved up the list of aircraft we will add to the STC I would like you to generate some “buzz” in your type forums.

I’ll look at the numbers each week. In January we are going to start “measuring up” new types or the install kits, drawings packages and other paperwork required to add to the STC.

Here is a closer look.

Most of the buzz so far has been “word of mouth”. These are good numbers for that type of advertising. Please have your form leads and your aircraft type magazines send me contact information for advertising. I’ll get that over to Chuck and Jerry and Trio Avionics.

Cessna                  58

Piper                     33

Socata                   4

Beech (All)          14

Comanche          4

Grumman           2

Maule                   1

Mooney               3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest update, see below for numbers (mooney 14) - contact Paul if interested to move mooney up the list! Looks like Cessna and Piper requests are dominating

Joel

"Folks,

I know you are all excited about the Trio Autopilot project.

The project is progressing smoothly. I am confident that we will have the STC “in hand” at AirVenture 2017. The schedule slipped due to some “politics”. The STC Group and Trio plans to show a Cessna 182H and Piper Dakota at Sun N Fun 2017.

Here are the latest standings in the polls as of Saturday December 17, 2016. Remember that we will be adding aircraft to the STC based upon customer interest. I will update the list monthly going forward. If you want your model moved up the list please continue to generate that buzz we discuss on the last update email.

Cessna Twins                     2

Twin Bonanza                    6

Socata                                   5

Piper Lance                         3

Piper PA28                          63

Navion                                  1

Mooney                               14

Maule                                   4

Grumman                           2

Twin Comanche                                10           Twin Comanche will be covered after we have completed the 172 project. Our “in house” attorney owns a PA-30. I hope this will cover the Comanche lineup.

Cessna 180, 182, 185       68           There are other models of this type not mentioned in this group. Cessna 182 covered on first STC application.

Cessna L-19                        1

Cessna Cardinal                                17           All models

Cessna 337                          1

Cessna 205 – 210              8              205, 206, 207, 210, etc.

Cessna 172                          20           Cessna 172 type covered on first STC application

Twin Bonanza                    4              I though there were more of you ?

Bellanca                               1              

Beech Baron                      1

Cheers,

Paul C. Odum

The STC Group

Mobile +1 805 304 5246

You'll never be lost at Mach 2 with a Trio Autopilot !

• 2 months later...

Further update from the STC group on the Trio autopilot, Paul is now looking for a "firm commitment" (but no deposit at this time) for people interested in this when available, see below, it looks like major announcement pending on this at Airventure.  Costs for the STC'd A/P will be $5000 or less, and install kit about $2000 (includes STC).  If enough Mooneys show interest, then they will move us up the priority list, FWIW I have given my firm commitment.

Joel

"Cessna 172, 182 owners. We are offering a 15% discount on the 172 and 182 install kits after STC approval in April for Pre-Production installs. This will require that you owners give us feedback on hours incurred and any “kit modifications” required for your type specific model airplane. We will build 20 to 30 pre-production kits. I will need the make, model, year, and serial number of the aircraft along with your full name, email, and phone number.

For the balance of the group, I would like to know if I can count on you for a “firm” commitment to purchase the autopilot. No deposits right now. We will let you know when that will happen.

I am going to start focusing THE STC GROUP engineering efforts towards those aircraft types where there is the most “firm order” commitments. I will put out an updated spreadsheet for everyone next month so you can see where your group stands on “firm” orders.

I am asking this so that Chuck and I can “size” the production model to support you. We’d like to go into AirVenture with enough autopilots and install kits to immediately supply demand. We don’t want to have initial backorders if possible."

• Like 2

Sounds goo I have a working STEC 30 so I'm not interested but I'm sure there are plenty of the older planes out there with just the PC systems or no system at all that might be interested.  If I still had my 64 E I'd be interested or if I needed to do a really major repair on the STEC.

So you are looking at $7,000 plus installation?

Not to undermine their efforts but why not go this route if they are not already?

NORSEE (Non-Required Safety Enhancing Equipment) program by the FAA and can be installed in any Part 23 aircraft or Part 27/29 helicopter with only a “Minor Alteration” logbook entry by an A&P or IA

Here are more excerpts from Paul's email - I don't know about the FAA processes (I'm just hoping to be able to install a modern autopilot) but it looks like he is working closely with FAA representatives on it

Joel

1964 M20E

"Functionally the A/P is the same A/P. GPSS and GPVS functionality will be included in the package. There will be some modifications based on requirements that we are negotiating with the FAA. See below. We are so busy at this time that the A/P will NOT support ILS/VOR/LOC functionality. You will have full GPS Navigator integration for panel mount units. So you can execute RNAV LPV approaches if you are so equipped.

All other avionics “technical” questions should be forwarded to Trio Avionics for a response. I am not the correct person to answer them.

The Experimental version of the autopilot is not a PMA’d unit and cannot be installed in certified airplanes.

You asked what PMA’s means? It means we have “hardened” the autopilot. The units have different circuit boards and programming modifications to comply with  portions of DO178B and other FAA regulations / requirements. We are receiving feedback from different departments within the FAA on an ongoing basis regarding additional “modifications” that may be required. Some of these include lighting, annunciations, etc. These “recommendations” came out of FAA flight test. This is ongoing but A/P’s will be available at AirVenture."

I like a lot about the trig and what it could do.  I am disappointed it will not allow ILS tracking but it seems it will allow GPV/tracking an RNAV/LNAV gps approach?  That is pretty good consolation.  But will it allow coupling to an ILS eventually with future certification?

I love that its digital, includes what seems like envelope protection?

So it is inexpensive enough that it competes with standard overhaul maintenance issues of my current old-school but otherwise high end KFC200.  (Every time I say that acronym I think of kentucky fried chicken).