Gear retracted position

Looks pretty normal. You might be able to suck your left nose gear door up a little, but I doubt it would give you any noticeable speed increase. Also your right main gear seems to hang a little lower than the left. You might be able to get it even with the left, but it will be a lot of fiddling around with adjustments to do it. Overall, looks good.

Edited by DaV8or
  • Like 1

The main gear doors could stand to be sucked up a little tighter. They should be snug but not so tight that they bend as they touch the bottom of the wing. There should be a small rubber pad in the top of each main wheel well that the tire can rub on instead of rubbing on the wing skin when up. The doors have an adjustment but make sure the gear is up where it needs to be before you adjust the doors. Ck the MM. If you have to adjust the gear legs remember to rerig all the way from the beginning by setting up the main gear bellcrank and actuator correctly as a starting point.  

I sure you will but make sure someone who knows what he is doing does an over-center torque check with the proper tools on each gear leg. 

Main gear adjustment will effect nose wheel pre-loads as well. I think my mains suck up tighter. There is a point where the main gear doors can be tight to the wing but rub on the gear when extended. My left main was rubbing. Adjusting the up travel position changes the down preload. What I ended up doing was changing the angle of the brackets for the main gear rods that attach to the tubes on the gear.  Personally, after doing all this work, yours look acceptable if the pre loads are good...

Its a solid days work getting it perfect. 

-Matt

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Htwjr said:

Your belly looks a lot cleaner than mine.   Mine would need cleaning and waxing before posting any pics.

Mine is filthy. But I took the belly off today as preparation for annual inspection and it will be clean before it goes back on. We've found and fixed several oil leaks this year.

2 hours ago, N9405V said:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161130/a1e596049becd029c5773ca29f1b52ca.jpg[/img

Here is what the gear look like on my 1970 M20E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! The angle is a little different but I think your wheels (mains) are pulled in better than mine. Are your brakes reversed? "Relocated Cleveland wheel brake assys by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM"

• Like 1

Thanks! The angle is a little different but I think your wheels (mains) are pulled in better than mine. Are your brakes reversed? "Relocated Cleveland wheel brake assys by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM"

They aren't, but I've looked into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Mine is filthy. Both I took the belly off today as preparation for annual inspection and it will be clean before it goes back on. We've found and fixed several oil leaks this year.

The bottom of my plane gets cleaned once a year at annual whether it needs it or not! In between annual?? Fahgedaboutit!!  Just the way I am. ;) There are better things in life than scrubbing that crap off!

• Like 1

Depends on how much I fly . . . or if I go anywhere special. Some things demand a clean belly. I use Aerocosmetics Wash n Wax, the red degreaser formula makes belly cleaning simple. At least, it takes about five minutes to get my one piece belly clean and shiny when it's leaning against the wall during annual. Doing it on a creeper takes a little longer.

16 hours ago, George said:

Had mine up on jacks yesterday...This is pic of right main. I was surprised to see how much hangs out and was going to ask all if that was normal...I guess so!

GHWwheel pic.png

A little hard to judge the angle of the pic but I think your gear door is hanging down more than mine is. Or am I looking at the flap hinge? 

My nose gear doors look like yours.  Good in the front, but can't get the aft portion to close all the way.  Have tried many adjustments, but it still droops.  The moment arm of the links is not advantageous for forcing them closed.  I still have the old linkage, don't know when they changed...66 might be different.  Ref your main gear doors you might need to tighten the aft rod or you might gently bend the door to match the profile of the wing.  They are so thin that I think they lose some of the curvature over time.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

A little hard to judge the angle of the pic but I think your gear door is hanging down more than mine is. Or am I looking at the flap hinge? 

No..the doors were fairly tight..Brake assembly and main gear hanging out a bit...same on left side as well...again kinda surprised there is that much hanging out!

Gear Up.jpg

Bob

just re-looked at your picture and I was looking at your nose gear backward.  I got the leading edge to seal by tightening the links and reforming the leading edge a little.  Still don't have the trailing edge as tight as I hoped.  Note that the outboard and inboard leading edges are different (twist) on yours.  I used sheetmetal players to smooth them out and give them a slight contour to the skin.  Be sure to check gear down and through the sweep with each adjustment, as the doors can get close to the gear.  They do open a little more as the gear comes up.  

6 minutes ago, takair said:

Bob

just re-looked at your picture and I was looking at your nose gear backward.  I got the leading edge to seal by tightening the links and reforming the leading edge a little.  Still don't have the trailing edge as tight as I hoped.  Note that the outboard and inboard leading edges are different (twist) on yours.  I used sheetmetal players to smooth them out and give them a slight contour to the skin.  Be sure to check gear down and through the sweep with each adjustment, as the doors can get close to the gear.  They do open a little more as the gear comes up.  

It might be a week or two before I get mine adjusted but I'll post some "after" pictures when we do. I'm glad I broke down and bought jacks of my own. Now I can examine and tweak to my heart's content.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:23 PM, DaV8or said:

The bottom of my plane gets cleaned once a year at annual whether it needs it or not! In between annual?? Fahgedaboutit!!  Just the way I am. ;) There are better things in life than scrubbing that crap off!

Here is the belly of my plane. come on guys get it clean! 

IMG_1817.JPG