Leak from left landing gear

BradB

Any thoughts on what this fluid is?

My Acclaim has been sitting in the hanger for the last week.   I noticed this under a drain that comes out near the gear door on the left side.   Does anyone know what fluid this is?   A problem?   

Thanks for looking. 

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

Just now, buddy said:

Looks like you need a new o-ring in your brake caliper. It is an easy job to replace the "o"-ring and bleed the breaks when finished.

Thanks for the replies!   Just pulled my mechanic over to look.  Needs a new o ring.  We checked and added hydraulic fluid.   He is checking to see if he has the parts to fix now.  

The braking has has never changed.  I never thought that it had the best brakes in the world,  but there has been no difference.   

Will share all the responses with the mechanic. I appreciate it.   It was much easier to stop in and see him when I could say that I had some hydraulic fluid leaking.   He came right over with what he needed.  

Brad. 

Braking power should be enough to lock up the mains.  Probably takes fresh fluid to do it though...

You will find the fluid reservoir in a pretty convenient place on the LB, compared to all the other Mooneys.

Now would be a great time to do a well controlled drain and replacement of the fluid.

You might have air in the system already, based on the pee puddle you have.  If this is the case, your hangar elf will probably use a pressure pot to fill the system from the brake end, forcing fluid back toward the reservoir... :)

PP musings only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Braking power should be enough to lock up the mains.  Probably takes fresh fluid to do it though...

You will find the fluid reservoir in a pretty convenient place on the LB, compared to all the other Mooneys.

Now would be a great time to do a well controlled drain and replacement of the fluid.

You might have air in the system already, based on the pee puddle you have.  If this is the case, your hangar elf will probably use a pressure pot to fill the system from the brake end, forcing fluid back toward the reservoir... :)

PP musings only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.  I agree, I'll have him drain and replace the fluid when I get the o-ring replaced next week.  

1 hour ago, Bravoman said:

Real ironic. I went to my hangar today after not having been there for a few days. Same exact leak. Going to see Joe Cole on Friday. Does anybody have the part number for the O ring?

regards, Frank

I'll be back out at the airport tomorrow.   I'll try to hunt down the mechanic and ask, he should have it somewhere convienent after looking today.  

Brad

• Like 1

The 5606 brake fluid in the long bodies turn thick and dark after a few years of use. I would suggest periodically changing the fluid at annual to help keep all the components in top shape. You can eliminate the oxidation and such with high temp brake fluid such as Royco 782, which Spruce carries. It is 100% compatible with 5606, but has much higher flash point, is synthetic, so won't break down like 5606 does. It is mil spec approved, so no issue with approvals. Bleed from the caliper up using a pump or pressure pot.

• Like 1