Flight School Size?

Mcstealth

The "school" that I attended had 3 part time CFIs (including one CFII) and two 172s. When I got my instrument rating, one if them was gone and a new CFII hired, along with a third 172; but I used my Mooney. Since then, more instructor turnover, the newest CFII is still there and I think a second part-timer; one 172 went into the trees (carb ice led to a downwind landing, too fast, pulled up and stalled; minor injuries to the right seater) and was replaced.

• Like 1

My take is big ones are corporations with multiple planes that are all dressed alike... singles and twins.  They have corporate divisions in multiple states.

A smaller school is probably part of the airport that is a family of businesses.  School, maintenance, tiedowns, hangars, and planes for sale...

There are two types of schools defined by which part they go by...  Part 141 and the other, less structured one...

I trained at a small school getting my PPL...  money was short.  Took two years to accomplish. Went through a couple of CFIs on their way to the majors...  saving money is good.

I trained at a large school getting my IR...  money wasn't as short.  Time was the limiting factor. Attacked it like it was business that needed to get done on a schedule.... structure is good.

How it worked for me...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

So what is big? Five singles? Two Twins? Ten twins? 100 Students?

These days, an FBO having any twins or single retracts is about amazing . . . Oh, yeah, the FBO I used has a Bonanza F33 and a Cessna 310. But I'd still call them a small school.

I guess a university situation like Embry Riddle would be large and most flight schools with a couple of planes and instructors and a hand full of students I would call small.

My flight school for PPL, IR and rotor craft all consisted of a single instructor, me and independent study.  There was no real classroom work with multiple students.  The instructor either had other students and or other employment.  Aircraft varied from rentals to my own.  This setup worked well for me others may do well with a more structured flight school.

The only time I had any experience with an organized flight school they seemed to be dragging their feet on sign offs.  This was a personal experience and observed in 2 other cases with student pilots.  One of these student pilots has indefinitely suspended his training and the other is working towards his PPL with an independent instructor now.

There were more formal flight schools available but I chose the independent route.