Good, not great landing

Amelia

It is with a heavy heart that I confess to wrecking a wonderful airplane. The fun started very shortly after takeoff Saturday afternoon from College Park Airport, when after a normal takeoff, normal gear and flaps retraction, the electric trim rolled all the way up, unbidden, and jammed. Solid. It took both of us leaning on the yokes with all our might to keep the altitude within a thousand feet of the assigned altitude. Such a good thing I wasn't solo. I could not hold it by myself. Nothing I could think of made any difference, not emergency trim disconnect, not manual trim. Not autopilot on or off. Not flaps. Very narrow range of power to stay well above stall speed, but not even more strong pitch up.  At Potomac Approach's request, declared an emergency, struggled over to Stafford, flew a passable pattern, lined up on final, noted quite a reception committee, 20 degree crosswind 7g17 seemed do-able, then, mere feet from the threshold, maybe 15 feet up, my favorite right-seater cracked open the door, and the bottom suddenly dropped out. Short rollout onto the runway as nosegear collapsed. :( . Gas off, master and radios off, and dejectedly walked away from ithe mess. Unsuccessfully attempted to wave off eager emts and fire trucks. FAA guys showed up Monday am, three of them, and carefully looked over my beloved, grievously injured Marvin K Mooney, and preliminary conclusion seems to be mechanical failure, no pilot error, and we are lucky to be alive. Now to see if there's anything worth fixing, I guess. So sad. 

• Like 7

Sounds like a wonderful display of airmanship, Amelia. Good job troubleshooting the problem and reaching a fairly successful outcome. Planes can be replaced, human spirits cannot. Glad we get to keep your spirit around for awhile!

• Like 8

A good landing is one you walk away from. Glad to hear you walked away. Everything else can be repaired. If you ever figure out how it happened or what can be done to stop it, do let us know.

Out of curiosity, have you tried shutting the master? My go-to solution when something electrical is being totally bizarre is to just shut all of the power and then work my way back on item by item. I discovered this when a friend had an autopilot (unknowingly) causing trouble and without being a diagnostician, shutting the power would have been an instant solve without much thought.

Another thought, could it have been the jackscrew or tail mount dislodging rather than an electrical or runaway trim problem?

Edited by 201er
  • Like 1

Well, I didn't shut the power off...figured I had enough trouble on my hands, but maybe it would have helped. Was still quite entirely jammed this morning when I turned the master back on after a day of power being off, though. The FAA mechanical experts theorized about a broken wire in the electric trim for want of a better idea, after opening inspection plates all the way along. 

Literally Monday morning quarterbacking, and maybe you already did this, but with a forward CG, on landing, the trim is often full up.  With full flaps the nose pitches down significantly, and offsets most of the pitch up moment of full up trim.  The K model has enough power to fly in that configuration.

• Like 2

This is a sad story for the plane, Mimi, but I'd much rather be sad about a smooshed plane than I would be sad about two smooshed people. You done well! Here's to hoping the cause is found soon, and that you aren't in the ground too long!

• Like 1

You kept flying the airplane, and made a successful landing. Neither you or your passenger are injured. Good for you. Given a mechanical issue you dealt with the situation, and don't try and second guess what you could have done. In time the reason for the jammed trim or elevator will be solved. Until then, try and get this out if your head, and take pride in your skills that got you down safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

That's a scary story, I'm thankful for the successful outcome.  Were you using the electric trim and it just kept going or was it un commanded?

I'd be curious if the trim jack screw anchor fitting is still attached to the tail cone.

Glad you're alive to share this.

Clarence

Glad you and Rob are unharmed Mimi. Way to keep your wits about you and work the problem as best  you could, to get out of the air where repairing is very difficult and dangerous, and not letting a hazardous attitude take hold of the situation. There are plenty of Mooney parts still available that your insurance company can get to fix your nice plane. She and you will fly again!

10 hours ago, Amelia said:

Yes, Don, and there for a brief shining moment, I thought we were going to pull it off. So close, we were to doing it right. Boohooo.

Many years ago, landing at Billy Mitchell @ Hatteras Village, I chopped power just short of the runway with 4 full sized men in a 180 hp Arrow. Bad idea. We dropped like a rock and landed a few feet short of the threshold. Wiped out the gear as we skidded onto the runway. I never knew I had a problem until I was sitting there wishing I could get the last 5 minutes back. 

• Like 3

Just now, DVA said:

Amelia, I have a very strong suggestion for you ...

Change the topic of this thread to “Great Landing!"

Cuz that’s what we all think about it.

Amelia      Planes are our love.  We hate to damage them.   But they can be fixed or replaced.   The important part is that you and your passenger(s) are ok.

Please let us know if they find out what happened.

You and your Mooney will fly again, enjoy.

Ron