iPad Mounting Solution

Guitarmaster

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

My younger brother believes that within a few years we will have thought transference onto our devices.  Now if that happens in GA oh boy will we have fun.

At that point we won't need to travel.  We will all be stored in stasis-tanks and we will live our experiences in virtual reality synthetic vision worlds.  We will meet each other inside those worlds, etc...yadayada - theme to several movies.

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

An example of distance measurement accuracy without a gps, compared to a gps.

My wrist mounted Fitbit records a jog while my iPhone does the same with a gps.

The fitbit counts steps and multiplies by a standard gate.  It doesn't miss a step and it's accuracy can be improved by giving it a better gate length.

The iphone 5 I'm using has a tendency to drop the signal and miss part of a four mile jog.  This happens on one tenth of the runs. Pushing a button keeps it from dumping its data if done in time....

best regards,

-a-

I have some papers with a ex phys prof in Michigan where he instruments human runners with accelerometers and these allow us to probe details of their energy expenditure and metabolism.  But these research quality devices also could just as well probe the details and distance of each and every gate.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 3:42 PM, Guitarmaster said:

There was a thread some time ago about this.  It has taken two years and numerous experiments, but I finally found something that works great!!

This is an iPad air.  I wanted the larger size and the Mini just wasn't going to work.  Since I use this for work, it does double duty.  The case is a Pivot case.  Outstanding for protecting the iPad and has multiple mounting options... none of which is a yoke mount. :(

Solution....

Disassemble the RAM mount, make the ball slightly larger and attach the Pivot mount.  Volià!  Although it looks like it inhibits access to the yoke, it doesn't.  In fact, while holding the yoke, my hands don't touch the iPad.  I does not block any instruments and it is right in front of me.  Previously, it was mounted to the windshield in front of the co-pilot.  The pictures were taken at my eye level.

Thought I would share as this is a great way to get a full-size iPad Air unobtrusively into the tight Mooney cockpit.

IMG_20161128_083748837.jpg

IMG_20161127_153120843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161125_060111978.jpg

I have a very simple solution. Ram mount iPad Air on copilot yoke. Nothing important to block and out of the way while still accessible and useful.

• Like 2

I have a very simple solution. Ram mount iPad Air on copilot yoke. Nothing important to block and out of the way while still accessible and useful.

I am required to have the case for work. If not, yes, the RAM mount works well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a similar setup in my 252 with the original yokes using a magnet mount. If you've got the newer Ovation style leather wrapped yokes, the Mini will almost set in the yoke without a mount. I made a simple mount with velcro and a short piece of a ruler. Nothing is mounted or attached to the yokes and yet the iPad won't fall out.

Pics on request.

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I think I have found the ultimate iPad mounting solution. Google Steelie dash ball and Steelie tablet socket. The attached pictures are with my mini, but they work equally well with an iPhone or with a full sized iPad, but only in portrait mode.  Put it on the copilot yoke if you prefer.  Case or no case, it doesn't matter.  Yes, yoke restoration is on my short list. Anyone want to buy my old RAM mounts?

Jim

IMG_1850.PNG

IMG_1847.PNG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1848.PNG

IMG_0566.JPG

Any problem with how tightly it holds its position. ie, would turbulence and gravity move its position.

Time will tell, Don, but so far the Steelie seems to be more than up to the task.  I have been using one in my car to hold my iPhone for over a year and love it.  For some reason, though, it never occurred to me before now to try it in the plane with my iPad.  The mini seems to be "just right" in this application but I also have installed socket mounts on all of my iDevices, so any of them could be used in a pinch.  Make sure you get the tablet socket, though, for use with an iPad.  A phone socket is also available but the magnet is smaller.   

What kind of adhesive is used to hold it to the yoke? Ever need to remove one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk