Southern CA M20C/E ride?

Hi everyone -

I'm a private pilot living in North San Diego. I've been flying for about 4 years but am on about a year sabbatical as I have two young kids. It's time for me to get back into flying and am ready to buy my own plane, I think an M20C, M20E or M20F would fit my mission and budget. 

Previously, I've rented from Plus One Flyers out of KCRQ and have flown various Cessna's and Pipers. I'll base the plane out of Fallbrook (L18) and my typical mission would be monthly trips to the grandparents in San Luis Obispo (KSBP), a few trips a year to Sacramento and possibly a trip or so a year to Casper Wyoming (KCPR). I would like to be able to make the San Luis and Sacramento trips without a fuel stop. 

Anyway, right now I'm deciding if a Short body Mooney would work or if I need to step up to an F.  We're not big people, I'm about 5'10" and my wife is shorter. I'm around 165 pounds and the wife probably 40 pounds less. :). We have a 10 month old and a 2 year old that would be part of the fun flying with us.  My main concern is whether or not we'll fit in a short body Mooney.  

Im wondering if there's anyone with an M20C or M20E that would be willing to give me a ride?   I'm more that happy to cover fuel and any drink we consume while I pick your brain afterward.  I'm pretty flexible on location.  I can travel to meet you anywhere between San Diego and LA as work take me up there a lot.   

Thank you,

Matt

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. I should point out that my little C is a perfect 4-place airplane when the trips are short. My best friend and I are identical- 6'3" and 180lbs, and our girlfriends are also identical- 5'3" and 120lbs, so they naturally fit in the back. Now they won't be able to stretch their legs, so flights have to be kept under 1.5 hrs before they get grumpy, but you can go a lot farther in 1.5 hours versus a Cherokee or 172.

I have no doubts your kids will fit in a C well up until they hit 15 or so. Although for a little bit more, you could opt for the F. Keep in mind the IO-360 200hp is fuel injected as well as angle-valved, versus the straight valve 180hp O-360. The angle-valve cylinders are about twice as expensive should you need to top it. Don't forget about the F's red-headed brother, the G. Same 10" extended fuselage, but with the 180hp O-360. It's slower than a C or F by a couple of knots but it's got the best of both worlds. There aren't too many out there.

Thank you everyone for your responses.  Steve - thank you very much for the offer, I would love to take you up on it.  I'm happy to meet you at your airport when you're available.  Not sure where you are in the high desert but I need to head to Apple Valley for a quick work visit this week. If you're up the hill, I can plan my trip around our flight. I'm also fine swinging into Palmdale/Lancaster area if that's where you are.  My work territory is from Fresno to Mexico so I find myself all over the place. I'll message you my cell number. 

Thank you again

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Matt! 

The short body is a fun airplane and you can easily fly the family around in one. It's all what you like best. I'm based in corona and have an E model that I'd be happy to take you up in. It's going in for annual today but should be out in a couple days. Feel free to shoot me a message. 

Mike

Hi Mike - thank you very much for your offer of a ride. Today, I connected with Mike up in Apple Valley and we're going to fly tomorrow in his M20B.  From all I've heard and read, it sounds like a short body Mooney will be fine for the family. Hopefully, tomorrow confirms this. It seems like a really great community on here. I'm sure we'll cross paths once I'm an owner. 

thank you you to everyone for your advice and offers!  I really appreciate the help!

Matt. 

24 minutes ago, SanDiegoflyer said:

Hi Mike - thank you very much for your offer of a ride. Today, I connected with Mike up in Apple Valley and we're going to fly tomorrow in his M20B.  From all I've heard and read, it sounds like a short body Mooney will be fine for the family. Hopefully, tomorrow confirms this. It seems like a really great community on here. I'm sure we'll cross paths once I'm an owner. 

Hey Matt, if you want to jog over to Lancaster tomorrow after your ride with Mike I would be happy to take you up in my M20G.  Same fuselage as the 'F, but with the M20C engine.  So you can at least get an idea of how the cabin sizes compare.

Let me know!

• Like 1

Thanks Mike!

3914N- just wondering, what is the useful load in your G or a typical G model?  I really hadn't considered the G... probably because I haven't seen too many for sale.  After looking at your post, I went back and noticed a nice looking G for sale in OK that's in my price range. 

4 minutes ago, SanDiegoflyer said:

3914N- just wondering, what is the useful load in your G or a typical G model?  I really hadn't considered the G... probably because I haven't seen too many for sale.  After looking at your post, I went back and noticed a nice looking G for sale in OK that's in my price range. 

My UL is 940 lb, measured just a few months ago.

It makes sense that you haven't seen many for sale.  Less than 200 came out of Kerrville, and who knows how many are still flying today.

To me, they're a perfect balance of speed and affordability.  I'm about 5-10 knots slower than a C or F, but I'm still blowing the Cessnas and Pipers out of the sky

15 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I love that we have members that are so open to getting another person into the family. I <3 you guys.

I was brought into the Mooney family because of the goodwill of an 'F owner, so I'm always happy to pay it forward :)

I'm assuming you'll be flying out here from FL to contribute as well?  /s

Edited by 3914N

22 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'll gladly take anyone in the south GA/north FL area looking to get into a Mooney. Hector did the same for me in his C

Just a joke on my part :).  I think it's fantastic that we have a great community for this type of thing.