Battery

Releew

Had a couple of weak starts this weekend.  Looks like the cooler weather is taking its toll.  Been about 4 years since a battery change.  I remember in the past, there has been much discussion of battery brands/types but I could not find the links using the search engine.

What is the popular choice and why?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Concorde. I have the one with extra cranking amps. After six and a half years. It was noticeably weak, so I replaced it before heading out over Labor Day to where I knew there were no services. Otherwise I'd probably be nursing it along to annual in January. 

People seem to get an average of 5 years for a Concorde, with some getting much more. Maybe an average of 3 for a Gil, with some getting much less.

The 24v J Model can use a Concorde RG-24-11M http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/rg2411m.php

Or for $10 more the Concorde RG-24-15 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/rg2415.php. It has 13.6 amp hours vs. 11 for the RG-11. Three pounds additional weight.

concordeeligibility2014.pdf.pdf

56 minutes ago, carqwik said:

I am changing my vote to Gill...

(Not that I recommend Gill but if everyone goes with Concorde, then Gill goes away and we'll pay through the nose for batteries...so someone, anyone, Noonan, please step up and buy some Gill batteries...)

Most bizarre argument I've ever heard that I whole-heartedly support otherwise my next Concorde battery will cost $500.

Next thing you know, I'll be recommending Champion spark plugs for the same reason.  Bizarre.

4 hours ago, N1395W said:

Most bizarre argument I've ever heard that I whole-heartedly support otherwise my next Concorde battery will cost $500.

Next thing you know, I'll be recommending Champion spark plugs for the same reason.  Bizarre.

Please buy a Cirrus to support Mooney!

Clarence

Going Gill is good for your credit rating...

you can replace them on schedule every two years. Use your credit card and pay them off .

Thank Gill for improving your credit score...  :)

When you are new to aviation, you get to take on some challenges that everyone is already aware of.

1) Gil batteries

2) champion spark plugs

3) un-used Lycoming cam shafts

The search box at the top of the screen can reveal a lot about these topics.  So much it may be overwhelming...

Best regards,

-a-

5 minutes ago, wpbarnar said:

Concorde due to its AGM construction.    Do not require maintenance of the electrolyte level and reduced chance of corrosion.

Not that I disagree with Concorde, but the Gill 7035-28 is AGM as well, so your comment makes little sense.

The shop told me I need a new battery just last week. I'm not sure what's in the K at the moment, but it needs replacing.  I remembered I'd won a certificate for a new Concord battery at the Mooney Caravan raffle at Oshkosh 2014.  So I'm getting a new Concord at no cost to me :-)

• Like 2

On 11/28/2016 at 7:46 AM, carusoam said:

Gil has found a way to make their dry cell type battery last only a couple of years, similar to their wet cell battery.

No idea how they got that to happen.

Best regards,

-a-

It took a lot of engineering to get it to fail so soon but it ties in well with their company philosophy "We're not happy until you're not happy."

Why do I feel this way about Gill batteries? Two new Gills were put in on 9/14/2014 for almost $1000 with labor on an M20M I bought November 2015. I replaced one of them immediately, just after one year in service, with a Concorde since it wouldn't hold a charge and now I'm replacing the other one with a Concorde this week since it's dead. Over the past three decades, early on, I bought Gill batteries thinking that since the initial cost was a little less that I was saving money. That was false economy. Their product has continually gotten worse. The Gills each cost about $250 per year to own. The Concordes each cost between $50 and $100 per year depending on how they are maintained.

• Like 2

Suspect that the end user may not have been logging the battery changes...

ya know?

There is probably a manufacturing date on the battery itself you can probably check. Seven years would be twice the normal life time of a Gil battery.  Even using a Gill battery charger can't extend its life.

Best regards,

-a-