Power Flow and New Engine

Hedge

My engine has 2033 hours with great compressions (all in the mid 70s).  The problem is it has a lot of small oil leaks and a possible crack in the block between #2 and #4.  They have already taken off the exhaust to inspect the engine, but to make sure it is actually cracked they will have to reinstall the exhaust and run the engine to reinspect.  I am pretty sure, I am resigned to just installing a factory engine.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ok - with my new exhaust, I am thinking about the powerflow exhaust.  What is everyone's experience.  My A&P said that if I install it, it will have to be taken apart every year to inspect.  So my question is does everyone else do this and if you do, does the trouble worth the gain in speed?

What else do you guys recommend while I am putting in a new engine - It has new teflon hoses (two year old), new starter (two years old), new alternator (one year old).  I don't have any speed mods, so the windshield, cowling, etc are all open game.  I would like to do this right and not have regrets.

Mark

Many case cracks can be repaired saving you funds for other improvements.  I have no experience with the Power Flow exhaust but seem to recall that the manufacturer recommends lubricating the slip joints annually.  No doubt there is a good reason.

If your mags need a 500 hour IRAN and your prop could benefit from a reseal then this would be the time.  Likewise the prop governor.  Then see where you stand.  The airframe goodies can wait till all your planes critical systems are in shape.

From a former C owner with some sellers remorse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I believe ALL exhaust systems should disassembled and inspected at every annual, anyway my Powerflow  takes no more than a half hour to unbolt and inspect. Never a problem yet. 

How much speed does it get you?

I did pick up 4-5 knots in cruise but I also did the air filter conversion along with it. Nothing scientific to prove the speed gain but after a few thousand hours in the same plane you get to know her pretty well. 

The main reasons I converted to Powerflow was actually not for the speed but the increased climb performance and dramatically reducing the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

You are in a good spot.  You know the plane fits your mission...

Plan for it to last the Marauder millennium... (approximately 25 years of ownership)

Upgrade with the top quality method that will last as long as you intend to own her.

I went factory reman.  It is one part convenience, and the other part resale value... (in the event I had to sell)

an OH of your existing engine might take a step to send the block out for welding....  it probably doesn't make a lot of sense testing it for cracks, then sending it out...

How many OHs has the engine seen already?

Best regards,

-a-

I've had a PFS on my '66E for over 4 years. I do owner assist annuals in my hangar and the PFS is disassembled enough to apply anti-seize to the slip joints. I doubt that it takes any more time than it takes for proper inspection and servicing of a conventional exhaust.

I am a fan of the PFS, it might provide better performance - I think it does, it sounds better, and I believe it is stouter and will outlast original equipment. 

• Like 1

On November 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Hedge said:

What else do you guys recommend while I am putting in a new engine 

Usually a good time for the engine mount to come out for inspection/overhaul.  There are differing opinions on powder coating vs painting the mount.  Without igniting that battle, I took my IA's advice and powder coated mine. I chose bright white to more easily show damage and leaks, plus I think it looks sharp.

New engine shock mounts when it goes back in...

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 10:12 PM, carusoam said:

You are in a good spot.  You know the plane fits your mission...

Plan for it to last the Marauder millennium... (approximately 25 years of ownership)

Upgrade with the top quality method that will last as long as you intend to own her.

I went factory reman.  It is one part convenience, and the other part resale value... (in the event I had to sell)

an OH of your existing engine might take a step to send the block out for welding....  it probably doesn't make a lot of sense testing it for cracks, then sending it out...

How many OHs has the engine seen already?

Best regards,

-a-

It has seen two.  I am pretty sure I am going with the reman.  What else would you guys do at the same time.  Filter, Powerflow, windscreen, etc...?

On 11/25/2016 at 9:02 AM, Yetti said:

Had a mechanic install one on his E.  Did not increase anything and sold it.  Rebuild the mags and prop governor. new vacuum pump

I thought new mags came with the new engine.  OK on the prop governor and vacuum pump.

Anyone have any idea of the gross cost for the following.

New Engine - Lycoming built - 31K

Install - 

Powerflow with Install - 

New Mags (one is only 3 years old and the other is only 1 year old) if they don't come with the new engine- 

Engine Mount Overhall - 

New Vacuum Pump and Install

Rebuild the Prop Governor (but wouldn't this be just as easy in the future?)  - 

On 11/23/2016 at 9:14 PM, Bob_Belville said:

I've had a PFS on my '66E for over 4 years. I do owner assist annuals in my hangar and the PFS is disassembled enough to apply anti-seize to the slip joints. I doubt that it takes any more time than it takes for proper inspection and servicing of a conventional exhaust.

I am a fan of the PFS, it might provide better performance - I think it does, it sounds better, and I believe it is stouter and will outlast original equipment. 

Man, for that amount of money you better KNOW...

2 hours ago, Hedge said:

It has seen two.  I am pretty sure I am going with the reman.  What else would you guys do at the same time.  Filter, Powerflow, windscreen, etc...?

I would go reputable field overhaul and with the money saved:

-201 windshield

-LASAR lower cowl closure

-flap gap seals

• Like 2

On 11/23/2016 at 10:14 PM, Bob_Belville said:

3 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Man, for that amount of money you better KNOW...

Know what, Man? I reported that I have had a PFS for several years and like it for several subjective reasons satisfactory to me and my wallet. Not sure that you have standing in this exchange.   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, daver328 said:

We installed PF with Challenger Intake. Big improvement on our C. They have specials ... which served as an incentive for me to drop the $$ when we caught a reduced price. I'm very satisfied... word is, the more inefficient the stock exhaust the more improvement noticed, thus a very noticeable improvement on our 65C. 

I grounded my plane when about 3 months into ownership I returned from KPDK missing a big chunk of the tailpipe and further inspection indicated the guts of the muffler was shot. While I could not wait for a deal, I was able to justify that I was going to be spending over half the cost of the PFS to get what I had rebuilt. I was not tough to go with both newer technology and all new metal. (I too took advantage of a deal on the Challenger air filter conversion from PFS.)

1 hour ago, aaronk25 said:

Hey and you were wondering on another thread how we were laying down such impressive cruise speeds.......well........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chill Honeybunny...Chill.  I wasn't wondering at all.  I was questioning...

Bob- to quote you "It might provide better performance".  Thus my reply...

Chilax...Like anybody needs to justify anything to me ever...