Mooney Main Wheel Dolly

Diesel 10

I wanted to see what folks recommend for towing an M20J with a flat main tire.  I had this experience this week at my home field (KBFI).  I landed on the short runway and got a flat on the right main.  With the momentum I had, I was able to just exit the runway.  I know in retrospect this turn could have done more damage but at least it cleared the runway.

One of the local shops came with a wheel dolly that really didn't seem to be the right tool for the job.  It was one of the metal squares (About 1 ft on a side) with 4 castor wheels (think shopping trolley).  It had to be positioned carefully so that the inner gear door didn't rest on the dolly and take all the plane's weight (instead of the flat tire).

Despite this, the wheel fell off onto the taxiway twice during towing behind the tug.  The inner gear door was badly bent and is now a separate repair project.  

Are there any better dollys for our aircraft ... or is there a better way to do it?  Do folks carry these in their aircraft?  Fortunately both the flat tires I've had have been at my home field but I can see this being a major hassle at a remote field.

Thanks,

Trevor

I've used two of these in the hanger to re-position the plane and also to level it for rigging and other things.  I believe the tow truck companies referr to them as "jake jacks".  Doubt they'd be too much better than the wheel dollys and carrying them with you is not a good option.

Not a lot of help I'm guessing, sorry for your troubles.

Ron

Tire-Jack2-300x300.jpg

With a tube, it make not work...

If it does work, the real mess would be contained in the tube...

The upside, is it may provide enough air to get to the FBO...

The downside, carrying a compressed can in an airplane at high altitudes adds some unknowns...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys.  I don't think fix-a-flat would have worked in this case but it certainly might work in others.  The fact that that I turned off the runway mangled the tire.

This is the type of dolly that the tug guy used.  It looked like it had seen better days so perhaps a new one would have given me less problems.  Looking at an M20J main wheel (not mine), you can see that with the tire flat the inner gear door is a risk for taking on the weight of the plane.  Especially if the wheel falls of the dolly onto the pavement :-(.

This was my 2nd landing flat in ~750hrs so I guess I will have more.  Perhaps overkill but I am going to start looking around for a light dolly that could be easily carried in the baggage area.  As folks have pointed out ... just enough to get off the runway and to the FBO.

M20J_main_wheel.jpg

dolly.PNG

I am surprised that know one had a wheel and tire assembly that they could have brought out and changed it right where it sat, it does not take that long. Usually that is what the maintenance shop will do, it's a popular wheel and tire.

Happened twice?

• Be sure you're keeping pressure up where it is supposed to be - my E is 30 psi all around but I think your J's nose tire get higher pressure - 45?. I suppose low pressure causes most flats.
  • Second, don't skimp on the tubes. Michelin Airstops are favored by many here.
  • Like 2

The casters on that thing are too small.  I have thought about welding one up with bigger tires that would actually roll.  Maybe with enough angle alum I could make one that could travel in the baggage compartment.  http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/casters-swivel/3-in-clear-polyurethane-light-duty-swivel-caster-69535.html

I think I would have had the shop try reinflating the tire first just to get off the taxiway...after all they had to take the time to jack the tire onto the dolly right....

Tube failures preclude reinflation. Bob and Bradp are spot on; buy the best tubes money can buy (Michelin Airstops) and carry the necessary tools (don't forget wire cutters) to remove the inner gear door. In fact, as soon as you've given notification of the problem start removing the door immediately, before help arrives. They may give you grief but won't drag your plane off with you laying in front of the wheel with the door dangling. Otherwise you'll most likely end up with a badly damaged ~$1,000 gear door because of a lousy flat tire and impatient FBO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk