Sold: 1987 M20J 205

smccray

• 2 weeks later...

As of this morning, N205MH is sold.  Congratulations to the new owner!  She has taken good care of me during my term as her caretaker.

I understand that the buyer is around here somewhere, but I don't know his screen name.  I'm hope he'll introduce himself soon and his plans with the airplane.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

That question is best handled in a private message.

And I wouldn't disrespect my buyer by answering it.  Someone who knows the market should know the number plus or minus $5K.  Deal terms play a role too which can't be assessed with just a number.

Want a deal where the seller absorbs your risk on the prebuy inspection, sends it to your desired shop, full contingencies for financing, and you want 60 days to do the inspection?  Sure- I'll do that deal at $130K- with $20K in escrow and only with a buyer that has owned an airplane before.  No financing contingencies, not asking a seller to absorb inspection if the buyer walks away?  Send the inspector to me so I don't have to do anything?  Different deal altogether.  If you want to get a good price on an airplane you have to make it easy on the seller.

Oh- and just a note to buyers out there- every deal where cash changes hands is a cash deal.  I don't care if you're not financing the transaction- buyer's financing is the buyer's issue.  Expect a deal because you're closing without financing?  Good luck.  Two offers, one has a financing contingency the other doesn't- that matters.  Two offers, neither has a financing contingency, but one has a bank involved?  Your cash purchase doesn't get you anything- most airplane loans are done on the borrowers income irrespective of the value of the airplane.

Welcome aboard, Flyman.

You just found how personal and complex a price question can be...  so many real people are involved...

An interesting way to answer your question...

Visit All American Aircraft’s website...

They have premium Mooneys for sale.  They price them to sell. 

https://www.allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

Scott gave a great detailed answer... 5k or 5amu is a pretty large range in today’s fluid market....

Competition creates your best deal... find two airplanes you are interested in, and be ready to buy...

Not easy to do...  Enjoy the hunt!

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Flyman.

You just found how personal and complex a price question can be...  so many real people are involved...

Scott gave a great detailed answer... 5k or 5amu is a pretty large range in today’s fluid market....

Competition creates your best deal... find two airplanes you are interested in, and be ready to buy...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you for the information. Just trying to learn the market and would eventually like to own my own if given the opportunity. Thanks.

All  of my aircraft purchases and sales  have been pleasant experiences. All have been with honorable people. What you would expect from fellow pilots.  The guy I bought my mooney  from is a CFI and former part 135 pilot and took a few days of his time to give me transition training at no charge and really at his urging. I bought him lunches and a few bottles of nice liquor, but he did not expect even that. Like a good landing, much of what you reap in a purchase and sale experience is in the approach.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

All  of my aircraft purchases and sales  have been pleasant experiences. All have been with honorable people. What you would expect from fellow pilots.  The guy I bought my mooney  from is a CFI and former part 135 pilot and took a few days of his time to give me transition training at no charge and really at his urging. I bought him lunches and a few bottles of nice liquor, but he did not expect even that. Like a good landing, much of what you reap in a purchase and sale experience is in the approach.

Yep- agree completely.  Aviation is a small community.

I disclosed everything I knew about my plane- none of them are squawk free, but I can look in the mirror and know I didn't keep anything from my buyer- full annual squawk lists for the last 5 years, all the outstanding squawks I knew about (most of which were addressed before closing- and before pre-buy).  I also had the pleasure of joining him for lunch when he came to town to pick up the plane- I know he's here on Mooneyspace but I haven't seen him announce himself.  For the sake of the Mooney community I hope he participates here as I believe he will have a lot to contribute.

Then there's what I just experienced with my purchase (that closed before my Mooney sale closed FWIW).  GNS430 non waas (#2 comm) locked up on the trip home.  Started working again, then froze again 2 flights later.  At this point it's a crap shoot and I can't trust it.  Garmin won't touch it without a $4500 WAAS upgrade.  It worked during our test flight- I sincerely hope that the seller wasn't aware of the problem.  I could probably sell the 430 and cross my fingers that it works when the buyer of the radio tests it- but that's not how I do business.  When it is eventually sold it will be as a core needing to go back to Garmin, or as a parts radio.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Flyman.

Best regards,

Checked out 'All American Aircraft.' If I were to go through them, is there is a Broker fee? Or is the sales price what I'd pay? Thanks! 

38 minutes ago, Flyman2456 said:

Checked out 'All American Aircraft.' If I were to go through them, is there is a Broker fee? Or is the sales price what I'd pay? Thanks! 

Just ask them, they are super helpful. I got some prices and advice from them when I was shopping. They even gave me advice on other planes I was looking at, I'm pretty sure knowing I might buy one of those instead of one of their planes. The feeling I got was that they just try to do what's right for the shopper even if they might not get the sale knowing that it would probably help them get a sale in the future. I know that because of the way they treated me if I were to look for a different Mooney down the road they would be my first call. 

AAA typically owns their inventory.  So an added broker fee would not be expected...

Jimmy and David are fun to talk to.  You can get a Mooney education about various models if you are interested in being a highly educated buyer... (in case you aren’t already). :)

Do you have a chance to visit with them?  It’s a blast!

Sitting in the various models can be a lifetime memory...

Start with the short body, then the medium body, then the long body...

See what instrument panels are there... a few probably will be updated...

Always call before going to make sure you know what their current inventory is.

David helped me learn about M20Cs before I bought one in 2000.

Then he showed me around the M20R a decade later.

Jimmy knows everything about selling planes... from PPIs to finance and insurance details... everything you want to have in place before you take a plane home...

David will even remind you what you probably will forget... and he will be right. ( It’s been about 8 years... I forgot a pink temporary registration paper?)

Need a place to stay? Hotels nearby... Lift between Airport and hotel?  How about some transition training with that?

Things could have changed... I had a pretty good buying experience that started from back before 2000...

Hope you do too,

-a-

1 hour ago, Flyman2456 said:

Short answer, no.  The Seller pays the broker fees if they are using them as the mediator for selling the plane.  Only time you would pay a "brokers fee" would be if you hire someone as a buyers agent to help you look/weed through all of the aircraft for sale and then represent you for the transaction.  The price you see is a starting point, negotiate away if you feel differently and think the plane is worth less than asking...at the end of the day, you have to be comfortable paying what you're paying for a 30/40/50 year old airplane...or younger if you can afford it.... ;)

Some of AAA's inventory is owned by them, but a good portion is also on commission/brokerage.  This would have an impact if you were trying to trade in an aircraft you owned already.  Jimmy is very open with his help and is easy to communicate with via email or phone - if he's in the office.  They are a small operation and he does deliver and pick-up aircraft all over the country, so he is not tied to the office all of the time.   Just a little patience sometimes if he doesn't get back to you instantly... :)

Good luck!

Brian

• 6 months later...

She's gone and being flown regularly by the new owner.  One of these days I'll actually delete the flight alert with my old N number...  Plane was only advertised here- I don't know the buyer's  username, but he would certainly be an asset to the Mooney community.