Let's do the math

PTK

12 minutes ago, Hank said:

^^^^ HOLY CRAP!! ^^^^

I thought sails lasted years and years, not just a couple or three quick trips! And replacing each short-lived sail would buy my Mooney . . .

Hank....this man is not talking about sails.....he is using the far more technically correct term "sheets".  That usually quadruples the cost of sails and cuts their life by 10 years.

Personally, we get our sheets from Walmart at about 20 bucks.:ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Hank....this man is not talking about sails.....he is using the far more technically correct term "sheets".  That usually quadruples the cost of sails and cuts their life by 10 years.

Personally, we get our sheets from Walmart at about 20 bucks.:ph34r:

Actually "sheets" are what landlubbers call "ropes". A sail is just a sail. Unless it's really old, then its a "rag".

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, APTUS Pilot said:

Actually "sheets" are what landlubbers call "ropes". A sail is just a sail. Unless it's really old, then its a "rag".

Holy smokes!  I stand corrected.....

" In sailing, a sheet is a line (rope, cable or chain) used to control the movable corner(s) (clews) of a sail. "

I guess our Walmart sheets are going to be really uncomfortable!

Thank you!

I know that sheets are ropes on a bait, but if can't imagine $80K for a set . . . Maybe there's a differenc between Euro sheets and US sheets. Maybe a terminology difference too?

no, i was right, he said 50k for a spinnaker (good for two races) and 80k for a mainsail (good for up to 6 races), both with abbreviated lives. That's the sailing equivalent of an engine overhaul once or twice a year . . . Makes me glad I'm a pilot and less of a sailor!

The spinnaker is the racing-oversized jib sail in front of the mast, while the mainsail is of course behind the mast. The sheets, at £60/meter, are cheap in comparison (200 m = £12k, just a new prop).

Edited by Hank

You kinky Mooniacs!!!!!!!!

Leave it to you to turn an innocent math discussion into sheets, ropes and chains!!

Only thing missing is Chris with his "ladies"!! He's been eerily quiet on this one! Not a good sign!:(

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, PTK said:

You kinky Mooniacs!!!!!!!!

Leave it to you to turn an innocent math discussion into sheets, ropes and chains!!

Only thing missing is Chris with his "ladies"!! He's been eerily quiet on this one! Not a good sign!:(

if you want to get Chris' ladies into this thread, mention the word "cheeseburger."  I think they have a permanent google search for most food words.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marauder said:

What I think is funny is that I won't flinch at throwing $1,200 at spark plugs and wires for my airplane but will complain about paying $100 for the same for my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...or for feed for the...umm...livestock?!

• Like 2

Sheet!

I have to drive from the northern border of Arizona to Tucson tomorrow as the pane is down for maintenance.

9 hrs instead of 2.3.

I don't care what it costs to fly the Mooney. After 40 yrs of airlines and TSA, in the Mooney, I can fly armed, with liquids and decent food on board, no lines, no screaming kids, no sick seatmates and door to door, under 1000 miles, I can beat the airlines (from where I live).  

Priceless!

• Like 4

I've blocked users that post and repost those pictures in an attempt to be able to read the posts on crowded commercial airlines and similar areas. It's a shame as the wealth of good information blocked is significant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk