Not selling, why?

thomas1142

I agree, it's overpriced!  Should be somewhere in the $100-115K range.

Being sold in California, everything tends to be overpriced IMHO.....saw quite a few Bonanza's with the same pricing theory over there.  Only takes one buyer at that price though....the seller just hasn't found the golden fish yet. 

Brian

I was shopping in 2015 for an Ovation.  Found a nice-looking candidate, priced at (I recall) $220.  Flew up to see it, looked at it carefully, read the logs, made a list of what it needed done IMO, I estimated $70K to correct those items.  I offered $170 or $50  under his asking price.  Seller agreed my list of items needing attention was reasonable but declined my offer, saying that someone less observant would come by and take it as-is.  He was right, it sold the next month at near $220.  

I bought another Ovation later that month that was on the market 4 days: When a good one comes along, write a deposit check right then.  

Thomas, you've been posting "what about this plane?" topics for ~ six months.  Care to tell us what planes you've gone to see and how they failed your reviews?

I made an offer on two J's and was refused both times. I had a Mooney expert review the logs and give me the run down on each aircraft. I thought I justified a logical rational for my offer based on the condition of the equipment and the airframe. I guess I was wrong. This will be my first and last airplane so I am been overly cautious as to what I want.  A bad experience will be the end of my attempt to own an airplane. 

Thomas1142,

What do you mean by "bad experience"? owning a Mooney can never be a bad experience.

you can make a good deal, a fair deal and a bad deal.

Buyers and sellers will always value a plane differently. 

Perhaps you should work with a broker that can also share his purchasing guidance with you.

I made an offer on two J's and was refused both times. I had a Mooney expert review the logs and give me the run down on each aircraft. I thought I justified a logical rational for my offer based on the condition of the equipment and the airframe. I guess I was wrong. This will be my first and last airplane so I am been overly cautious as to what I want.  A bad experience will be the end of my attempt to own an airplane. 

Not sure if you are using any VRef calculations but it will get you in the ballpark for pricing. This plane has a nice interior, paint looks nice but he is halfway with the avionics. The WX-8 is dated, he has a so so #2 Nav/Com, not sure why the AI is on the right side, I would have removed the CDI and moved it over. With a dual Aspen, he has two HSIs (one on each of his Aspens).

The engine gauges were moved to electronic but he didn't rebuild the panel and used an insert to cover the gap. The plane has some nice things going for it, but just not 148,000 nice things.

Have you considered a tired J and building it the way you like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk