Suggestions for an exhaust system.

Mooneymite

My exhaust system is original and it is now wearing out.  Recently, I've had several repairs done, but my IA tells me, "it's time".  The metal is getting pretty thin.

I'd actually like to buy a complete, new system with everything except the carb-heat shroud, but am open to a piecemeal solution.

Ideas?  I do not want to go the Power-flo route due to noise considerations.

Who do you recommend for either a total overhaul, or a new system in terms of price and delivery time?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Noise? What's the beef with PFS? I've had PFS for almost 5 years, don't think I've heard about noise...

I think PFS is probably a great addition to a Mooney, I have no beef.  I live in a fly-in community and it just seems that whenever a powerflo exhaust equiped plane takes off, everyone knows it.  I am just trying to be a good neighbor.

Has anyone every seen a db comparason between powerflo and stock on various aircraft?

I've gotten a couple of quotes from some of the exhaust rebuilders advertising in Trade-a-Plane, but would love to hear from people who have first hand experience with them on their Mooney system.

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

I think PFS is probably a great addition to a Mooney, I have no beef.  I live in a fly-in community and it just seems that whenever a powerflo exhaust equiped plane takes off, everyone knows it.  I am just trying to be a good neighbor.

Has anyone every seen a db comparason between powerflo and stock on various aircraft?

I've gotten a couple of quotes from some of the exhaust rebuilders advertising in Trade-a-Plane, but would love to hear from people who have first hand experience with them on their Mooney system.

I'll ask my A&P about what my plane sounds like re other Mooneys here. We have an F and several Js... 

Full power take off at 2700rpm is probably more prop noise than anything.  Our mufflers are more flame arresters and heat exchangers than sound deadeners.  

Check with the European Mooney guys on measuring engine sounds.  They have noise limitation regulations over there...

Best regards,

-a-

Mine is a "ribbed" muffler.  Several of the rebuilders are telling me that they don't like to work on those and are encouraging me to switch to the "newer style" whick look like the muffler is covered with spikes.  Just a different way of radiating heat for the carb-heat shroud.  Since my original exhaust system lasted so well, I'm hesitant to change anything....

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Mine is a "ribbed" muffler.  Several of the rebuilders are telling me that they don't like to work on those and are encouraging me to switch to the "newer style" whick look like the muffler is covered with spikes.  Just a different way of radiating heat for the carb-heat shroud.  Since my original exhaust system lasted so well, I'm hesitant to change anything....

heh heh, you said ribbed and spiked. :-)  

When I heard this in the past, I took it to mean that the ribbed and spiked were ways to identify an old system or a new one.  Not that the design itself is inherently better or worse.  If you by a new system, I think you are assured an improvement from a worn out original.  I recently bought new because I knew I would keep the plane a long time, and repairs were putting off the inevitable spending, and once installed, I will probably not see the end of life for this exhaust system.

10 hours ago, tomcullen said:

heh heh, you said ribbed and spiked. :-)  

When I heard this in the past, I took it to mean that the ribbed and spiked were ways to identify an old system or a new one.  Not that the design itself is inherently better or worse.  If you by a new system, I think you are assured an improvement from a worn out original.  I recently bought new because I knew I would keep the plane a long time, and repairs were putting off the inevitable spending, and once installed, I will probably not see the end of life for this exhaust system.

Who did you buy from?  Were there any issues with fit?

7 minutes ago, tomcullen said:

I went with Knisely on my A&P's recommendation and after some comparison shopping.  

-dan

Thank you.  

After spending a lot of time comparing, I ordered from Knisely.  They thought they'd have a system ready to ship by Wed before Thanksgiving.

I found out some of the shops I contacted were supplied by Knisely.  Why not go to the source?  Knisely wasn't the cheapest, so my CB credentials are in jeopardy.   :wacko:

• Like 1

If your only concern with PowerFlow is noise, I would re-examine that premise. I fly in and out of pretty noise-sensitive areas without a problem. In my subjective experience (not having done objective testing), prop, not engine, noise is the source of complaints.

The performance gains many MSers have experienced - and documented - are real, and the cost in the upgrade is offset if one has to replace one's system anyway. Then again, there are probably some recent PF upgrades who have used systems available. (I traded mine to the mechanic who did my upgrade).

Not shilling PF, just sharing my personal experience.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I installed a PF on my M20C and I don't see a huge noise difference between my plane and a stock one. 

My observation is purely subjective.  I live on a runway and it just seems that the PF equipped planes are "louder".  I have no db readings, nothing.  I also have to say that there is not a single PF equipped Mooney at our airport.  It may very well be that there is little/no noise difference on a Mooney.  My post was not inteded to impart any negativity to PF.  It's just my (perhaps) misguided opinion/observation.

Generally, I think PF is a great product and I'm glad it is available to Mooneys.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

My observation is purely subjective.  I live on a runway and it just seems that the PF equipped planes are "louder".  I have no db readings, nothing.  I also have to say that there is not a single PF equipped Mooney at our airport.  It may very well be that there is little/no noise difference on a Mooney.  My post was not inteded to impart any negativity to PF.  It's just my (perhaps) misguided opinion/observation.

Generally, I think PF is a great product and I'm glad it is available to Mooneys.

I asked my A&P whether my PFS equipped M20E was louder on take off that the one F and several Js based here. He said the sound is different, more "powerful" sounding, but he doubted that the decibel reading would be higher. Lynn is a fan of PFS, particularly on small Cessnas, and has installed several.

• Like 1