201er's Caribbean Adventure #3: Cuba

201er

Actually their ATC is very good, and the english excellent compared to the rest of Spanish speaking Central America and Caribbean. When I flew from Key West to Guatemala I flew close to their airspace and had to talk to them. 

I was wondering about insurance...most if not all of the insurance carriers I saw have a clear exclusion of Cuba in their policies... How do you manage that issue?

But my God, what a flight...

Oscar

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I was wondering about insurance...most if not all of the insurance carriers I saw have a clear exclusion of Cuba in their policies... How do you manage that issue?

Oscar

Relatively simple to add a rider for a specific flight, just call your broker.  In most cases, this can be done without any additional cost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I think we should all nip up to his house in NY and decorate it with Welcome to Cuba banners and other cuban ish stuff.  The FAA very kindly lists his address on the db. ;)

He's lucky he got out of South Florida alive. The Cuban ex-pats down here are still holding steadfast in isolating Cuba and don't look kindly to warming relations with them. Their attitude has pretty much been, "if we give it just one more week, the Castro's may fall".

• Like 1

Relatively simple to add a rider for a specific flight, just call your broker.  In most cases, this can be done without any additional cost.

Yes, but Cuba may be different because of the Embargo. Although some of the restriction have been made more flexible, I don't know about insurance payments...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the first one croaks...  :)

They fail so infrequently, the strength of the battery is the usual back-up.  This detail gets checked at annual.  

The usual failure, is often a broken wire or connector between the alternator and the voltage regulator....

For those that like high reliability at additional cost, some Mooney's come with two electrical systems.  Two batteries and two alternators go with that.  Go Long body!

recently, the electronics on the panel come with back-up batteries.

There are a few Mooney's with 40 year old generators working in them still.  A good OH every few decades might be recommended....

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

After the first one croaks...  :)

They fail so infrequently, the strength of the battery is the usual back-up.  This detail gets checked at annual.  

The usual failure, is often a broken wire or connector between the alternator and the voltage regulator....

For those that like high reliability at additional cost, some Mooney's come with two electrical systems.  Two batteries and two alternators go with that.  Go Long body!

recently, the electronics on the panel come with back-up batteries.

There are a few Mooney's with 40 year old generators working in them still.  A good OH every few decades might be recommended....

Best regards,

-a-

Interesting.  Thanks for the info

Hey, I for one, have a lot of respect for Mike making the trip. He will join a very small and select group of us MooneySpace members who have actually been to Cuba and therefore can speak intelligently about it.  Unlike the rest of you.

While I've been there, I didn't get the chance to fly the Mooney. I'll do that on the next trip. I found the Cuban people, including government officials, to be some of the friendliest people anywhere in the Latin world. There are plenty of cell phones there, you just can't connect your US phone. Internet access is available as well without any government interference. It's just very expensive and therefore not widely deployed. Both of these are the result of the US embargo, not local government restrictions. We had a great time there. We stayed in a local's rented apartment reserved through Airbnb. And one of the best meals we had was when the grandmother came over and cooked dinner for us in the apartment.

For those of you not afraid of travel that requires a passport, I'd highly recommend it. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

The wires to and from the alternator and the brushes are the most likely items to fail. The other bits are a spindle covered in wire and a couple of magnets. (And a lot of water proofing). 

If you check the above regularly and also the fan belt then like most mechanical things it should look after you. 

Well that description sounds more like a generator or a moter...alternators don't use perm magnets

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Just curious what the process is for getting a raft out of the plane and deploying/inflating it before it sinks all while trying to egress a quickly sinking airplane. Anyone know? I'm sure it's been done before right?

I read somewhere,if you quickly jump out and hop on the tail to counter the weight of the engine ,the center of flotation shifts aft and a Mooney will float for hours

1 hour ago, NotarPilot said:

Just curious what the process is for getting a raft out of the plane and deploying/inflating it before it sinks all while trying to egress a quickly sinking airplane. Anyone know? I'm sure it's been done before right?

I know this is a parachute plane, so a different beast, but there isn't a lot of time from touchdown to sinking.   Impact with water is at 1:58  

I think there is a selfie video that the pilot recorded, as well.   I haven't seen it yet   

• Like 1