201er's Caribbean Adventure #3: Cuba

201er

Just a quick update. Alternator failed about 25 mins out from Pompano Beach. Descended IFR below the deck asap and cancelled. Continued with everything off. Turned power back on just outdside the delta and got cleared in. Having the alternator replaced and hoping to be able to continue today.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, peevee said:

I love watching people on flight aware for some reason. When one of the other owners takes our plane somewhere I always watch too, and I think they watch me.

So do I, but some of the fun changed when the "dot com" frenzy started for those that wish to remain anonymous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

he is nearly there, which brings up an interesting point.  Yes he has long range tanks which means he can fly for a long time, BUT then surely after a 6.something flight are you not dog tired and not much use in the landing phase.  I know if i do 5 hours flights, i REALLY have to speed up in the last 30-45 minutes to get back upto speed again.  I liken it a bit like driving for hours on the interstate (boring and not much concentration needed) to then turning  and entering downtown Chicago in the rush hour.  Completely different type of driving and concentration needed.

Andrew

PS did he stop off at Jackonsville for fuel?  His flight plan seems to have changed recently.

Have no fear! His plane will almost land itself, it has AoA.

Clarence

As I recall, Mike does not have altitude hold on his autopilot (do I remember corectly, Mike?) so he is in the loop the entire time.  I think Tha makes these long flights all the more impressive.  Not sure I could do it with a full up autopilot...

• Like 1

Like Amelia, my wife and I flew in with our 252 this last January. My wife, also a pilot, was probably the second women pilot to visit. We flew into  3 airports there. Only the two were planned Cienfuegos and Havana. But just like Amelia, we ran into severe rain and turbulence trying to get on the approach into Havana. We couldn't negotiate a good place to hold outside of the weather (they were taken) so we just diverted to a another airport east of Havana and another $350 landing fee. Most expensive diversion I've ever made, but it was definitely the right choice - another plane, a Beech-18 also diverted right behind us and followed us in. 2 hrs later both the Beech and us landed in Havana in beautiful VFR conditions. It could have been earlier but Cuba's bureaucracy takes time to work through. Only a couple of Cuban airports have avgas so one has to plan their fuel very carefully. 

We spent most of a week their and had a great time. But the really big adventure for us pilots is to fly your own plane in. Yeah, you bet its an expensive adventure by private air, especially for us coming from San Diego. But the cost of adventure is not always cheap but the experience and memories were certainly worth it. 

As Piloto said, there is no such thing as an FAA certified A&P there, nor parts, but that may have changed with our american carriers now providing scheduled service there. If you had an incident there, I am sure you would be flying in a mechanic and parts from a neighboring island or FL to get the bird flying. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Just a quick update. Alternator failed about 25 mins out from Pompano Beach. Descended IFR below the deck asap and cancelled. Continued with everything off. Turned power back on just outdside the delta and got cleared in. Having the alternator replaced and hoping to be able to continue today.

You should buy a lottery ticket cause your luck is running high considering it could have packed up over Cuban mountains in the dark!!

2 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

He's back on the go!

Have to hand it to him...me..I would have checked into a nice hotel with a swim up bar and call it good ,than launch in the morning ,rather than a long night flight to a strange airport I never been too...is customs 24 hrs at Santiago?

• Like 1

Just now, thinwing said:

Have to hand it to him...me..I would have checked into a nice hotel with a swim up bar and call it good ,than launch in the morning ,rather than a long night flight to a strange airport I never been too...is customs 24 hrs at Santiago?

I would have been at the bar beside you.  Although unlikely, concerns of a ditch in open water at night would be sufficient to keep me on land.

• Like 2

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Good part is it's only 90 miles, albeit over open water. I just looked outside and it's dark.

Look again at his filed route...he's not going keywest to Havana...he going east toward quantanamo..more like 400 miles ,over lots of ocean and quite a lot over central mountainous Cuba to the opposite coast

Just now, thinwing said:

Look again at his filed route...he's not going keywest to Havana...he going east toward quantanamo..more like 400 miles ,over lots of ocean and quite a lot over central mountainous Cuba to the opposite coast

I really hadn't given any thought to that. All we are told down here is Cuba is only 90 miles away, and several decades.

Looks like he's made landfall.  Another 1:35.  Is customs even open at 9:30 pm?  (EDIT: looks like it's an estimated track).

Mike's got a lot more cojones than me...  

When in doubt, head to the bar and make your decision after a drink (i.e. the deal is already sealed). 

Wishing him all the best for a safe arrival. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

That's actually just an estimated position based on his flight plan. He also doesn't have the SPOT configured to drop breadcrumbs on the map. But here's hoping for all the best. We might not hear much from him after landing. Internet access is almost nonexistent in Cuba.