New to video editing

Pictreed

I've gotta say those guys like Steveo and Flight Chops do a lot of work to get their videos so polished. 

Here's a video I made of a trip to take some tests in OKC.  Seemed like Wiley Post was having radio problems that day. 

I want to work on a couple things like a good beginning and end.  Also try to change the screen that shows in the preview...for example, it shows me craning around to see the runway.  I'm sure it's in the software. 

'Had a lot of fun though!

Tim

• Like 2

YouTube will allow you to select from a group of shots for the preview.

I think this is a good job. Other than something purely educational or something 3 minutes or less, IMO one of the big things that makes  for an interesting video (in addition to subject) is differing camera angles. Your do some of that and the scene  fade  for pacing does some of that also. In fact my two favorite angles are your main one - from behind you in the cockpit, and the one I just began experimenting with - from outside without the glare and reflection of windows, etc.

This is just an example of that outside view scene - my third test of my tie-down ring camera clamp. 

BTW, I'm a long-time Steveo fan, but lately, it seems to be more about the video production and less about the flying.

Thanks.  That's what I want to do next, work in some charts and such.

The camera I had facing forward fell and I remounted it but the view was rubbish.  

I would like to mount one outside too.  Not a big fan of it in flight but TO/landing are cool. 

Nice videos! I taped some videos during my stay in guatemala. Several got many views and other only those of my closest family and even then I am optimistic...

So what is it that makes a video more or less attractive?

First the storyline.. what is it that I am trying to show? Is it how an instrument or avionics box work? Is it a scenery, is it my airplane... and why is it that I believe that it is worth while showing.

For example, my Guatemala videos where I fly close to an erupting volcano are interesting and new, now my flight from Lancaster to Gaithersburg, well we all know the area...

Equipment, here some of our friends on MS Do a great job showing us how their panel work (btw great panels). They explain and show function and thus their videos become interesting.

Camera angle, they help, but you have to change them constantly. If you show an angle for more than 20 seconds people start to tune out, unless the story justifies the lengths of the shot, or the explanation of how a box, instrument or maneuver demands the time.

Length of video, unless you are a great director... a la 16 Right, keep your videos under 4, or better 3 min...on average a viewer spends 2 minutes on a video on you tube.

Well, I talked to much... sorry

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I actually think the video is great. The camera position is good. It could possibly be improved by moving it forward an inch, but that's really splitting hairs. Ideally it's nice to see the windshield and the panel. If you have the available camera's it's good to get an outside perspective as well. I find the best mount points for the view are the front outside tip of the horizontal stabilizer for a great shot down the length of the aircraft and the wing. But you need a very small camera like the GoPro 4 Session. Another good placement is on the tail skid to get a view of the gear as it retracts and extends and great shots of the lift off and landing.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

The video I made might only be interesting to someone wanting to hear radio chatter.  I don't think it has much entertainment value.  The production/entertainment is not there.  It was mostly for practice. 

Watch steveo1kinevo, Flight Chops, or even Martin Pauly's videos.  They keep me captivated, especially Steveo.  I think it's they type of flying they do since I'm really trying to soak up info on IFR.  

Just watching a video flying over land isn't interesting to me but if it were spectacular views and you keep the clips short enough it would be really cool to watch.  Swayne Martin does a good job of that.

• Like 1

On November 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Pictreed said:

I've gotta say those guys like Steveo and Flight Chops do a lot of work to get their videos so polished. 

Here's a video I made of a trip to take some tests in OKC.  Seemed like Wiley Post was having radio problems that day. 

I want to work on a couple things like a good beginning and end.  Also try to change the screen that shows in the preview...for example, it shows me craning around to see the runway.  I'm sure it's in the software. 

'Had a lot of fun though!

Tim

Take a screen shot of the farm you want to be your thumb. then you can select custom thumbnail in Youtube.