Garmin Pilot 8.5

Marauder

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

A couple of features I like;

- capability to do to something else after completing a checklist. On my missed approach checklist, I have it go back to the map. If I have the chart overlaid on it, I have it immediately available. Same for my after landing checklist, I can pull up SafeTaxi if it doesn't pull up on its own.

- the W&B can store favorites. Makes it nice to quickly add weight. And you know how important weight is to me. emoji12.png

I do wish they would allow more capability in the editing of checklists. The emergency section in the M20J is basically the same as mine. Would be nice if I could copy a portion of a checklist into mine. I also think they need some work on their freehand feature. Great if you are VFR, needs to be able to identify airways.

Anyone try the downloads from AOPA planner or the other software they said was compatible?

One thing I couldn't figure out is if I put in a item like open "IFR clearance" CRAFT page and go to that page, there is no way to go back to the checklist from the CRAFT page. It would be nice to have a "Back" button there. Same for return from ATIS page. Did I miss something?

Also like the ability to add in items like "Switch to Ground" or "Tower" and have those numerical values displayed on the checklist and not having to go searching for them. One can also add items "Get local altimeter" and have that displayed within the checklist. Especially useful as part of Landing checklist in IFR conditions. Nice features.

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

GPilot just upgraded to ver. 5.5.0 yesterday but I don't see W&B yet. Is there a pattern for how much lag Garmin usually has from new features on IPad to Android? 

I've been using Pilot for a couple of years now. I haven't noticed any consistent lag between Android and Apple. More like if it isn't in the Android version, it's not coming. Hopefully, there will be a shift at some point that we start to get the cool stuff. I greatly prefer Android over Apple in all aspects other than aviation apps. If (almost no chance) I ever decide to switch to an ipad, I'll probably use Foreflight.

I don't completely follow the logic of Apple being the premium product vs Android. There are certainly a lot of Android tablets that are no where near as capable as any ipad. On the other hand, Samsung is making tablets that are easily on par (cost and quality) to the ipads. The spectrum of Android hardware is very broad. In my opinion, Garmin puts too much effort in keeping Pilot running well on the lower end devices. Seems like a solid assumption that anyone spending money on the Pilot subscription isn't using a sub-$100 no-name tablet. 

The big difference between Apple and Android is that ipad's hardware and software are developed by the same company. Android is an operating system platform. The hardware is developed by other companies, some better than others.

One thing I couldn't figure out is if I put in a item like open "IFR clearance" CRAFT page and go to that page, there is no way to go back to the checklist from the CRAFT page. It would be nice to have a "Back" button there. Same for return from ATIS page. Did I miss something?
Also like the ability to add in items like "Switch to Ground" or "Tower" and have those numerical values displayed on the checklist and not having to go searching for them. One can also add items "Get local altimeter" and have that displayed within the checklist. Especially useful as part of Landing checklist in IFR conditions. Nice features.

My guess they figured hitting the home button followed by the checklist button was tolerable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk