Garmin Pilot 8.5

Marauder

Another game changer in the iPad app wars.

Draw your course using "Freehand"

Advance flight planning (better enroute fuel burn calculations)

Weight & Balance

Checklists

Web based flight planning integration

Sharing of flight plans

Custom screen configuration

Yummy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoda thought it could get so goood!

Let me know when they have T/O distance based on DA info to go with the WnB...

We are almost there...!

They are making it extra challenging to accidently do yourself in....

If big G were to include all of this on their app, I would be signing up for a GTN install before 2020....

Sarcastic, yet serious.  The technology is there, the apps have been built, the wifi connects it all together,  we are just one step away....

Best regards,

-a-

Aaron, It's the economics of a premium product vs. the lower cost product...

Garmin believes they are a premium product and aligns itself with the other premium product partners. 

Then it trickles down to the next level.  It takes a team to write software to operate on each piece of hardware.  They focus on the people that are willing to pay the extra premium first.

Then there is the other challenge.  Not all hardware is the same.  The features available on an iPad are not necessarily going to be available on the other products.  Different chips do things differently or not at all...

Best regards,

-a-

I just took the preloaded M20J Weight and Balance from the App. The envelope is the same and even the stations of seats, fuel ...for my M20F. But you can modify everything for your plane

2 hours ago, Aviator said:

W&B was an easy load but it would sure be nice if there was an Ovation checklist preloaded and ready to be modified as necessary.

Jim F

Looks like they allow saving your custom plane type for others to use, so if you can wait for one of your brethren, you can ride of their coattails.

12 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Looks like they allow saving your custom plane type for others to use, so if you can wait for one of your brethren, you can ride of their coattails.

So, Chris is going to do the M20F, Anthony is going to do the R, and luckily for me, it looks like Oscar will do the M20C.

Thanks, Oscar! :)

• Like 1

The Long Body adds some complexity to the WnB...

There is a max landing weight that is not the same as MTOW.  This requires a dashed line to be put onto the envelope chart.  All landings are supposed to occur when below the max landing weight.

i am still using an old ipad1 that has my WnB app on it...

Mooney should want to get on the App band wagon!

1) Selecting landing speeds, using the Don Kaye method... attitude for forward speed, power for vertical speed, during the landing process....

2) selecting T/O distances using current weather and temperature data would be a breeze...

3) knowing your WnB shouldn't be a guess.  Fifth friends don't fit in the WnB app or the baggage compartment...

4) then there is all the in flight things like sound level in my Mooney, and is that cloud taller than my flight path?

GenX PP ideas, not a Boomer, CFI or greater...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

The Long Body adds some complexity to the WnB...
There is a max landing weight that is not the same as MTOW.  This requires a dashed line to be put onto the envelope chart.  All landings are supposed to occur when below the max landing weight.
i am still using an old ipad1 that has my WnB app on it...
Mooney should want to get on the App band wagon!
1) Selecting landing speeds, using the Don Kaye method... attitude for forward speed, power for vertical speed, during the landing process....
2) selecting T/O distances using current weather and temperature data would be a breeze...
3) knowing your WnB shouldn't be a guess.  Fifth friends don't fit in the WnB app or the baggage compartment...
4) then there is all the in flight things like sound level in my Mooney, and is that cloud taller than my flight path?
GenX PP ideas, not a Boomer, CFI or greater...  default_smile.png
Best regards,
-a-

There is a max landing weight option in GP

ea63ead6e1a5fbee45ad0205a30f7883.jpg

Next excuse

• Like 1

A couple of features I like;

- capability to do to something else after completing a checklist. On my missed approach checklist, I have it go back to the map. If I have the chart overlaid on it, I have it immediately available. Same for my after landing checklist, I can pull up SafeTaxi if it doesn't pull up on its own.

- the W&B can store favorites. Makes it nice to quickly add weight. And you know how important weight is to me.

I do wish they would allow more capability in the editing of checklists. The emergency section in the M20J is basically the same as mine. Would be nice if I could copy a portion of a checklist into mine. I also think they need some work on their freehand feature. Great if you are VFR, needs to be able to identify airways.

Anyone try the downloads from AOPA planner or the other software they said was compatible?

• Like 2

I now have a FS 510 in my GTN 750 and my Android tablet is playing nice with the GTN. I see traffic on the tablet and can upload flight plans from the tablet.

GPilot just upgraded to ver. 5.5.0 yesterday but I don't see W&B yet. Is there a pattern for how much lag Garmin usually has from new features on IPad to Android? 

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Anyone try the downloads from AOPA planner or the other software they said was compatible?

I was able to load a plan from AOPA flight planner by sending the plan via email and loading it on my iPad Mini2 running GP. Worked seamlessly. However, the same thing didn't work from Skyvector. There is a blue "button" in the email which was unresponsive on my tablet. I will stick to AOPA.

36 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I now have a FS 510 in my GTN 750 and my Android tablet is playing nice with the GTN. I see traffic on the tablet and can upload flight plans from the tablet.

GPilot just upgraded to ver. 5.5.0 yesterday but I don't see W&B yet. Is there a pattern for how much lag Garmin usually has from new features on IPad to Android? 

I gave up on GP for Android more than a year ago, it just lags in features far too much to be useful. Moreover, I prefer the iPad Mini hardware platform, connects easily to my GDL39 without issues.

Just now, wishboneash said:

I gave up on GP for Android more than a year ago, it just lags in features far too much to be useful. Moreover, I prefer the iPad Mini hardware platform, connects easily to my GDL39 without issues.

Okay. But that's not helpful. Perhaps someone knows the answer to my question. (I love AAPL stock but I've never owned any of their products.)