Diagnosing Fuel flow divider

Dham

I know. Had four cylinders replaced in sept. And still had mineral oil so temps have been high on climb out (400fpm) so my jpi showed high.  Cht then went to 700. Not sure what happen engine quit on final but temps seem to be normal just before quitting. 

A clogged fitting in the flow divider would respond like a clogged fuel nozzle.

Just as likely to be a blown exhaust flange gasket heating the CHT probe.  If the cylinder did hit 700 degrees, drop it in the trash bucket.

Clarence

In dham's other thread, I believe...?

There was a statement that somebody used Teflon tape on the fuel divider.

Expect to see a piece of Teflon tape stuck in the fuel injector and blocking the flow.

Teflon is normal for home plumbing used on NPT threads.  This is not the type of threads on a fuel divider, I don't believe...

PP thoughts, not a mechanic or a plumber...

Best regards,

-a-

The fittings in a fuel flow divider are 1/8"-27 NPT.

Teflon thread tape has no business in an airplane.  I have a roll in my shop to use on shop air tools.

Clarence

From the AC43-13,

8-37. INDICATOR SYSTEMS. Inspect, service, and adjust the fuel indicator systems according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Determine that the required placards and in- strument markings are complete and legible.

8-38. FUEL SYSTEM PRECAUTIONS.

In servicing fuel systems, remember that fuel is flammable and that the danger of fire or ex- plosion always exists. The following precau- tions should be taken:

a. Aircraft being serviced or having the fuel system repaired must be properly grounded.

b. Spilled fuel must be neutralized or re- moved as quickly as possible.

c. Open fuel lines must be capped.
d. Fire-extinguishing equipment must

always be available.

e. Metal fuel tanks must not be welded or soldered unless they have been adequately purged of fuel fumes. Keeping a tank or cell filled with carbon dioxide will prevent explo- sion of fuel fumes.

f. Do not use Teflon tape on any fuel lines to avoid getting the tape between the flare and fitting, which can cause fluid leaks. 

11 hours ago, Yetti said:

Not that you should ever need teflon tape on the fuel fittings, even  in home plumbing you should know how to do it right.. starting 2 threads back from the end so you don't cut if off and send some downstream.

Same thing with vacuum pumps and oil fittings.  

Just a little follow up. Cylinders 3&4 sent off and they are trashed. ( only 3 months old) sent fuel flow divider off it did seam to have teflon in it??? But the Diaphragm did have a tear also. Not sure where teflon came from or if this is the cause yet. Will post the EMS when I get a copy. 

• Like 1